THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    ANYONE else use Shepherd scopes..just curious...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANYONE else use Shepherd scopes..just curious...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I stumbled across them several years ago at the SHOT Show and decided to try one. Several years later I have them on my FN SPR(618V2), my .340Wby(P1)and my 10FP(P2) and the fourth Shepherd is back in the scope bin waiting for a new home.

What really sold me on them and the company was the following incident. The only Shepherd I had at the time was on my .340Wby. It was on an elevated shooting platform when one of my "friends" knocked it off and the first thing that struck the steps was the obj end of the scope. The fall was about 8 feet attached to a 9 pound rifle. It crushed the bell back into the tube, wrinkling and cracking it. The internals were mangled.

I sent it back just to see if it was repairable with a letter explaining what happened and telling them it was NOT their fault, I was NOT expecting anything but an estimate for repair. They called and indicated it was WAAYYYY beyond anything they could do for it BUT, They were so intrigued by the total destruction they said they were sending it back to the manufacurer in Japan when their rep went there in a month.
I just forgot about it.
2 months later I get a call from Shepherd telling me my NEW, REPLACEMENT scope was on the way.

Great customer service and a great scope system that works.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawcop, how many rounds down range so far with that set up on the 340,have been thinking about one for the 300 Wby,

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They're right up the road from me. Great folks with a great product. [Smile]

[ 04-27-2003, 02:15: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
Lawcop, how many rounds down range so far with that set up on the 340,have been thinking about one for the 300 Wby,

BEST guess right now is close to 1000 rounds.
With the McArthur brake on the gun, it is pleasant to shoot(heavy .243 or light .270), but it is still expensive to feed it, even though I bulk buy bullets and get powder by the keg.

Last December when I was caribou hunting, I had the .340 just for the reason of potential longshots & high winds, just gives more options.
Last day of the hunt with still an open tag I saw the 'bou I wanted in a string with others crossing a frozen lake. I figured the range at about 300 but the 'bou never cleared the pack til it got to about 400. With the ranging reticle on the Shepherd I just held dead on but for allowing for the 20mph or so cross wind and pulled the trigger. One shot dead.
With the Shepherd the ranging is so fast, once you are used to it, you just point and shoot.

There are actually 2 ranging systems built into scope. One with the circles and one with the MOA hash marks. Both are faster and easier to use then mil-dot and there is nothing to turn or crank.

The other thing is when you get to the field, because of the dual reticle system, your scope self verifies that nothing bad has happened unless the mounts themselves have been shifted.

OR you can actually set 2 separate "zeros" in the same scope. One with the circles and one with the xhairs. example, xhairs zero'd at 100 feet, circles at 100 yds.

http://www.shepherdscopes.com/

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
That seems like some great custumers service!

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can someone who has one explain them in more detail to me? I looked at the site and I still don't appreciate what the extra knob is for etc.

Take the 6X18 for instance and relate it to varmint hunting and not just to a 18" coyote. How whould I use one to tell 350 yds from 400 yds for instance with any flat shooting varmint load as an expample?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got rid of mine. I sent it back because it wouldn't hold zero. Six months later I hadn't heard a thing called them they couldn't find it. sent them the usp numbers. They still couldn't find it when they did they said they found in on a shelf another couple of months back and forth said that they couldn't get the right parts. Other a year later they sent the scope back. Never seem to get the thing to shoot right.
I went to mildots and a laser works very well. But then that was years ago maybe they have improve.

Posts: 19437 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
It has two reticles, a front focal plane and a rear focal plane.

To sight it in you just fire a shot, then while looking through the scope, move the small cirle to the point of impact while holding the main reticle on the point of aim. When this is complete you just move the main reticle till it centers the small circle and presto, you are sighted in.

This is for any round, any distance.

The scopes are available with different retilcles for different rounds. You just pick the correct round based on the ballistics of the bullet and you also have a ranging reticle that will work with that round.

-

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Can someone who has one explain them in more detail to me? I looked at the site and I still don't appreciate what the extra knob is for etc.

Take the 6X18 for instance and relate it to varmint hunting and not just to a 18" coyote. How whould I use one to tell 350 yds from 400 yds for instance with any flat shooting varmint load as an expample?

OK I'LL try.
You have 2 knobs for elevation and 2 knobs for windage. The larger set moves the circles that are set to ballisticlly match certain parameters. See their list for those details.
The smaller dials are for moving the Xhairs. The circles are set for objects of approx 18" size which is easy to figure on large game.

On the side and across the top are hash marks for MOA. Now, let's go to the coyote or better yet, take a prarie dog. It stands up 9" tall. You put the MOA marks next to it and it is 3 MOA marks tall. Divide the 3 MOA into the 9" and get 3, or the prarie dog is 300 yds away. Hold at 300 and shoot.

Now for targets that are between the "hundred" yard rings there are 2 ways to shoot. Say you want to hit at 450. You can either hold half way down onthe verticalline between 400 and 500 or if you know your ballistics table, and know what you you need to "add" or subtract X inches at 450, you can crank in the difference on your circles(like a mildot would) so you will be back to a "dead hold". Then, after the shot, you simpley take the reticles back to the Xhairs to be back at "zero".

It is NOT a scope designed for shooting eggs at 1000. They are just not set upfor that. But for game that moves and changes distance with any speed, NOTHING beats them for ranging and quick use.

I had the opportunity to shoot at one of the military bases with the knockdown man-targets out to 1000. I drove the Mil-dot shooters nuts because I was shooting and hitting 4-6 shots faster to their one shot. I had a P2 on my S.A M1A M21T, see, range, shoot, watch target fall, go to next, see range shoot, just about that fast.

The thing is, you have to know that what ever you intend to use it on, will match up with the reticle you are ordering. That is the only trick.

If you handload, you can tailor loads to the exact profile.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the very good explainations.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about optic quality?

I do most of my deer & elk hunting early in the morning (sunrise) when the elk & deer are on their way to the timber from the meadows & clearcuts. Nobody sells Shepherd in my home state, so therefore I'm unable to determined optic quality but I do like the range-ing set up.
So could you give me a honest optic quality comparsion to such brands as Leupold, bushnell 3200 or 4200, Burris or even Tasco?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
How about optic quality?

I do most of my deer & elk hunting early in the morning (sunrise) when the elk & deer are on their way to the timber from the meadows & clearcuts. Nobody sells Shepherd in my home state, so therefore I'm unable to determined optic quality but I do like the range-ing set up.
So could you give me a honest optic quality comparsion to such brands as Leupold, bushnell 3200 or 4200, Burris or even Tasco?

I TOOK off the Springfield Armory scopes with 30mm tubes and the 56mm obj ends, removed the Leupolds and Burris scopes and replaced them with Shepherds. They have 40mm objectives and I have never been in any "reasonable" shooting situation where I could see game and not see the reticle. The glass is clear and sharp and the objective end has adjustment for parallax. THe view is clear and sharp to the edges and if you can tell the difference between looking through a Shepherd, a Leupold or a Burris,you area better man then I.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a shepard on an 03-A3 with a hart barrel chambered in 30-06. This is my carry gun when I'm being serious. I am currently shooting 190gr hornady bullets at 2700 f.p.s. and have had very good success at every range, on targets, out to 900 yds. My longest whitetail shot is a whopping 125 yards with it. I had an opportunity while groundhog hunting a few years ago on a coyote that I guessed was 1000yds using the ranging circles. I did not bag the coyote, but had five shots at him that changed his direction of travel 180 degrees five times, I lead it to far each time and the bullets impacted in front of it changing it's course five times. The elevation was there, but not the moving target accuracy on my part. Optically, it is as good as any of my leupold scopes. If you have one, try setting the scope at about 5.5 power for evening and early morning, you will be surprised what you can see.

I have read a lot of negative comments on these scopes by what seem to be military sniper trained personnel, as each one was comparing them to the mil dot configuration. I have yet to hear a negative comment from those that I know personnally that have them. I also know that without a laser I have hit every IPSC target I have shot at out to 900 yds with the first and each successive shot, the wind was not a factor on the long shots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to be honest. I have never seen a Shepard I thought was above mediocre. Non of the high end gun shops around here will carry them. They will custom order if a customer wants one. I don't believe they are even close optically to a Leupold or Zeiss.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one on my Anschutz .22 RF. I use it for gophers, mostly, but you can have a lot of fun at the range taking sucker bets. The Anschutz is the only .22 I have ever owned that I've sighted in for 100 meters, and with the Shepherd scope on it, hits on 6" steel plates out to 200 meters are easy, and 300 meters are do-able if there's little or no wind. As to the optic quality, I don't think they're as good as Leupold or Zeiss (or any of the other European manufacturers, but they seem about as good as my Bausch & Lomb scopes. FWIW - Dan

[ 04-28-2003, 19:03: Message edited by: dan belisle ]

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
You guys that like to have fun with reticles, might enjoy investigating this.

This reticle which has scales for the WERM formula in MOA and MIL (.2) is sold and offered in Horus Vision and S&B Scopes. Used in conjunction with Palm software it considerably simplifys the problem of first shots at unknown ranges.

-

Horus Vision Web Page

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy, that sure looks simple to me. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
It's not simple, but it's fast and flexible.

Try the game on the site, and follow the instructions.

I like it a lot.

D. [Smile]