New
Find
Notify
Tools

How old, would you take the shot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had the opportunity to go with a friend to his "bow only" lease, opening weekend, October 2. Not being "on" the lease, I couldn't shoot turkey or whitetails. I could take an axis or hog if I saw one.
The land owner has been clearing cedar and burning it. I came up with the bright idea to smoke my camo with cedar. Big mistake. I had deer and hogs come in within about 30 yds opening morning and it was like they hit a brick wall. They all turned and made a wide berth avoiding the tripod in which I was sitting.

Deer aren't hitting the feeders much in the Texas hill country, as there are tons of acorns.

I washed and air dryed my camo Saturday and this guy came in about 5 yds from the tripod where I was sitting. I froze and let him come in. These pix were taken about 23 yds distance.

Tell me what you age this guy and whether you would have taken the shot at 23 yds.
GWB

PS: I figure him to be about 5 yrs old. And yes, I'd have taken the shot.

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
In Missouri he is in the 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 range tops. But I suspect in your kneck of the woods he is 3 1/2+

At 23 yards, he would have died around here for sure.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice flicks.

I agree with Ted, it would be 2.5yrs old in the S.C. Lowcountry and probably 3.5yrs old in N.C.

Not skinny, but not fat either. No oldage belly sag, nor broad. Neck not swolen and his Hocks aren't Dark. I'd have expected the Hocks to be a bit darker, but I've not been in TX in a long time.

I was going to say, I'd have shot the Doe, but what little I see of her, she appears to be skinny. Probably save that Buck for someone else, but it is for sure a nice Buck.

MAYBE.... he is holding his stomach in to "impress" the Doe. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
No, he still has a lot of growing to do. I would age him at 3 1/2 but he may be 4 1/2 but the question I always ask is: what are the chances he will have a better rack next year. If the answer is over a 50% chance, then he is not a shooter.

We all have enough basket 8's in the closet. Shoot the doe. Reminds me of these 2 deer that are not shooters

Gonzales area

3 Rivers area

both would have lead to severe "ground shrinkage" and either will be a better buck next year

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5.5 years old. Defined pedicles, loose skin around the face, sway back and belly. You plains guys can't look at size and tell a deers age, remember he probably only weighs 125#s and that full grown.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on what I know about deer in the Texas Hill Country, yes, I think I would have taken it. How large a piece of property? If the property is low fenced and smaller with other smaller tracts around it, there's always the possibility that he gets taken by the neighbors and you don't see him again this year or next.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don`t know how old he is,but would have arrowed him for sure!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that he is probably 5 1/2. All of the things perry said are true. Add that to the gray face, which wood's pictures don't have, and that's what I'd say. He is definitely not the dominant buck. I'd have taken either deer.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I think he is 3.5... never hunted that part of the country though, so he may be 4.5.

Around here he would be a shooter. Whether I would shoot him would depend on the average size bucks generally found there on the ranch and what their management stategy is.

Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Age doesn't factor into it, in my mind. He is an 8, will never be a 10, so the idea he is ever going to be a real trophy goes out the window. Might grow some trash but he is going to "throw" eights, not tens or non-typicals.

In short, take him out of the herd.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A shot like that with a bow is a good one.
I bet he would look better on the grill with some taters. Big Grin

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is any way that deer is 5+ years old. MAYBE 4.5, but I would lean heavily to 3.5. I've shot a lot of deer in Texas, but it's a big place, and maybe they vary that much from the hill country and San Angelo area I have hunted-- but that being said I've killed several that were bigger--body and rack, that were only 3.5 years old...as far as the shot, when he turned quartering away and head angled back to the left, I would have sizzled one his way in a second if I was gonna shoot him, but I would have passed on him.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys calling this deer young are making the classic hunters mistake. You can not judge age by body and antler size. Body shape, yes. Body size, no. Look at the loose skin on his body, the triangular shape of the head, depth/developement of his pedicles, sway in his back and belly. Mature deer.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I originally beleived this deer was a 3 yr old but on closer examination beleive he is a 4 yr old that has survived a stress period that stunted his development. Mainly the broken back left leg that has healed. He looks like he is over it and getting healthier now so I would wait a year and see how much his antler gowth catches up along with the muscular problems in his hip from limping.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
You guys calling this deer young are making the classic hunters mistake. You can not judge age by body and antler size. Body shape, yes. Body size, no. Look at the loose skin on his body, the triangular shape of the head, depth/developement of his pedicles, sway in his back and belly. Mature deer.

Perry

Wasn't looking at antlers or body size. No hint of a Roman nose, no start of wrinkles around the base of the ears, not so much sway back, neck not so thin but not so thick. 3 1/2 or 4 1/2

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Hereabouts, he'd be a dandy 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 year deer (gauging by antlers). One you'd shoot and get your picture in the paper.

Looking at his body confirmation, I call him a gimp 5 1/2 year deer. Blocky head and loose skin.

Here or there.............he's gonna get the air left out of him should he walk past me.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i make him out to be 4 1/2
and won't give the broke leg much credit in
a warm clime and suplimental feeding setup.

at 23 yds archery?
either,i'd let the air outta him
or he'd let it outta me.

nice photo's

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
He appears to be 5 1/2, but I think some earlier physical problems contribute to that look. Therefore, I'd say he's a 4 1/2 year-old buck whose best days are already behind him.

Yes, I'd let the air out of him. And it would be for the overall benefit of the herd as I don't envision him sporting any larger antlers next season.

Nice photos, by the way! tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
IMHO: 60% likelihood that he's 3.5, 40% for 4.5.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
IMHO: 60% likelihood that he's 3.5, 40% for 4.5.

tu2 100% agree

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
I had the opportunity to go with a friend to his "bow only" lease, opening weekend, October 2. Not being "on" the lease, I couldn't shoot turkey or whitetails. I could take an axis or hog if I saw one.
The land owner has been clearing cedar and burning it. I came up with the bright idea to smoke my camo with cedar. Big mistake. I had deer and hogs come in within about 30 yds opening morning and it was like they hit a brick wall. They all turned and made a wide berth avoiding the tripod in which I was sitting.

Deer aren't hitting the feeders much in the Texas hill country, as there are tons of acorns.

I washed and air dryed my camo Saturday and this guy came in about 5 yds from the tripod where I was sitting. I froze and let him come in. These pix were taken about 23 yds distance.

Tell me what you age this guy and whether you would have taken the shot at 23 yds.
GWB

PS: I figure him to be about 5 yrs old. And yes, I'd have taken the shot.

Three year old deer, yes, arrow it, make steaks, he is a Genetic cull.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I've hunted A LOT in the hill country and that is a 4.5 year old deer. I prefer not to shoot bucks as "trophies" until they're 5.5+ but I would shoot this one, due to his ugly left side. I don't like the genetics he's passing along.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sagging back and belly and wrinkled skin make me think he is 5.5. Even if not that old, he is old enough that I would be glad to take out as a management buck if I was allowed to by the landowner. Then we could see a jawbone and know for sure. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know where he's from and everyone else may be 100% correct but I see nothing on that deer to really convince me he's older than 3 1/2. In most places, it's been a good year for antler growth. Personally, not knowing anymore than I do about what the local area is capable of, I'd pass the shot.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4.5 not 5.5 but if he's only an 8pt and at that age he should probably be removed if you are managing the place.

Now, here's the kicker...How wide is he?...Look closely most especially at his right antler and how it curves in a bit. In an antler restricted county, is he legal and could you tell at 200yds?
Border line call...sun is going down, your kid wants to shoot a buck, this one is a good and on the last day you can take your son hunting....
We all agree he's no less than 3.5 and some say up to 5.5....but is he legal and will he necessarily be any bigger next year if you let him walk?

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
he is a Genetic cull.

Why? I think you need a long chart of trend data from this property before you make that decision.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya,

I've hunted a number of ranches in the Hill Country and for most of them that would be a trophy deer. He's certainly not a young buck.

The real question is what's the history of this place? Do the deer get 5, 6 or 7 yrs old? And does the antler development typically exceed this guy's?

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW I make that deer to be 14 inches inside and would bet serious money that he is over 13 (unless they have midget deer in that area) so that is not a factor in the shoot/no shoot debate.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote