Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho elk outfitter query
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello fellows,

I'm looking for an elk hunt in Idaho. I'd like to ask comments/experiences about a couple of outfitters whose packages seemed nice enough.

One is Silver Spur Lodge and the other is Bighorn Outfitters.

I'd like to hear about experiences with regards to value for money; the experience that you have had with them; and of course if someone wishes to warn me off either one.

Thanks in advance,

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would want to know where their hunt area is. Then I would check out the impact, if any, of wolf depredation in those areas. Wolves have played havoc with herds in some, if not many, areas in ID. Some units, which were formerly exceptional, have had the herds severely depleted by wolf depredation. Many, if not most, outfitters are not going to volunteer that information. And some less scrupulous will mislead or even lie about it.

I do not have experience with either of the mentioned outfitters and would not make that accusation of them- but you have to do due diligence. Scan this site and you will find many references to the wolf problem.

Just looked @ Silver Spur & Bighorn Outfitters website. If they are hunting the Frank Church Wilderness; I would not go there if it were me. It used to be one of the premier areas. (I hunted there myself about 10 years ago.) but it has been severely impacted by wolf depredation according to reports I have seen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent 10 days in the Frank Church last year hunting Cats and never saw one Elk. The folks there are VERY bitter about the Wolf fiasco.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote