THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What type of guided elk hunt can I expect to get for $3500

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of guided elk hunt can I expect to get for $3500
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I live outside Boise,Idaho. I've never gone on a guided elk hunt before. What can I reasonably expect to receive for $3500. I'll provide my own transportation to the trailhead and I'll load up the meat to take back. I'll go anywhere within a days drive or so from Boise, Wyoming,Montana, Utah, Oregon, Washington, possibly Colorado or New Mexico and don't forget Idaho. I've got all my stuff and I know how to use it but I'm open to instruction. I'm 6'1, 250lbs, work out 4 days a week, shoot 1-2 days a week for practice and have excellent equipment. I just want a chance to learn more. I've been reading this forum for more than 5 years so I look forward to your imput. Thanks for your help!!!

Posts: 98 | Location: Eagle, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
These guys offer a full 7 day hunt 2:1 for $3500
They are near Challis Idaho,
They provide the horses and and camp. bring your own sleeping bag and personal gear.

Very knowledgeable and hard working.
I have never hunted with them as a paying client. But I hunt the same area and see them frequently, I've stayed in the camp/tent when they didn't have clients, shared meals with them and share info about elk, deer, horses, etc. I'd recommend them.

http://www.wildidahooutfitters.com/

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Have you given any thought to doing a drop camp hunt???

Some outfitters will set you up with one of those for less than $3500.00 and the success rate can be pretty good.

If you are interested, I can give you the name of an outfitter in western Colorado that has been in business for over 30 years, that offers both guided and drop camp hunts.

The hardest part will be getting an open spot with him as he books full every year and it is practically all repeat business.

I am sure he would talk to you and give you some real time information. If interested pm me and I will give you the info.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IME that should get you an elk if you are very very lucky. most of the cheaper hunts i've been on have amounted to nothing more than a walk around the mountain.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For $3500 you can buy some great equipment, then go on your own, and have $2500 left over. I doubt you can get a "guided" hunt anywhere for that amount in this day and age. A drop camp yes, but with guided elk hunts almost twice as much, an outfitter will cater to the high dollar dudes. Cow hunts are running $1000 to $2000 here in Wy. Then the big item, you have to draw a tag in Wy.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I know of a great Colorado outfitter that offers fully guided 1x1 hunts for $3800. He was $3500, but increased leases forced him to raise his prices a bit. They go 100% opps on 1st rifle and Muzzleloader. They average 250-300 class bulls for the most part most of which are nice 6x6s and they do take bulls over 300 as well. Lot of elk and all private land. Best outfitter I've ever been with by a long shot.

Shoot me a pm for the particulars.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You can get a public land tent camp hunt in Colorado for $3,500 with about a 20% chance of harvesting a bull elk. For about $4,000 to $4,500 you can get a private land lodge or cabin hunt in Colorado with a 70% to 80% chance of taking a bull elk. Both of these would be for a small 4X4 or 5X5.

If you could draw a tag in New Mexico You could get a chance at a quality bull for $3,500.

You should talk to Reloader because that quality is above average for Colorado. You should also go as soon as you can because hunt prices are increasing a lot faster than normal inflation and outfitters with good deals will sometimes book two years in advance.

Posts: 16 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote