Login/Join

posted
Email for zipfile.

[ 11-17-2003, 18:06: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Alright! Two of my favourites: Finn Aagard, and an article on 35 calibres! :-)

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Why is it that when I hit the links on these I see several pages with a note to "click to enlarge" but when I do this I never get anything but teh little red "x"...........no enlarged picture? I have never been able to read any of this.

I also am a big fan of Finn and the 35 whelen. I would really like to have been able to see this.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bah, not a word about the legendary bearslayer .358 Norma Magnum.

Posts: 92 | Location: Jamtland, Sweden | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Iron Buck - check your security settings and your firewall, if you have one.

This, from VillagePhotos:

"If people aren't able to view the full-sized image on our site, have them contact us at service@villagephotos.com, we can probably help. Most of the time they have some sort of ad blocking of internet privacy software running that breaks the security "key" we need to allow the image to be shown."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great load data from Finn for the .35 Whelen! Thanks Nickudu!!

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickudu:
Iron Buck - check your security settings and your firewall, if you have one.

Thanks, I do have a security fire wall. that must be the issue.

I just reset the PC. It worked! Thanks! I love teh 35 whelen. It is one of my favorite cartridges.

[ 11-13-2003, 00:44: Message edited by: Iron Buck ]

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's a totally underated cartridge. One might hunt worldwide with it, especially with today's array of fine bullets. The 225 Partition and a 275 grain solid would do quite nicely.

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
This cartridge is one I have a great deal of respect for. I have loaded it for people, talked some good friends into buying one, and a couple of not so good friends also. I have just never got one for myself, is all. It has become the "go to" gun for most of these converts. Like the 308 and 7x57, it just seems to perform better than you expect. I should just get my P14 barreled in this cartridge and be done with it.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
My cousin was laughed at by some when he took his .35 Whelen to Africa. I was with him on the trip to Zimbabwe, and all seven animals were one shot kills, including a 1500 pound Eland. I was hunting with a .375 H&H and with comparable shot placement, he kicked my a$$. I can't wait to buy a rifle in that caliber!

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Well I don't know if I'm ready to replace my 375 with it, but the caliber does have an alluring mystique that I just can't explain. I must say it did impress me with the bear I took last September in Maine, a one shot kill dropping the bear in it's tracks. I'm considering taking it back to the north woods for moose with 225gr Swifts. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jamt:

Virtually nobody in America shoots the Norma!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Major Caliber:
quote:
Originally posted by Jamt:

Virtually nobody in America shoots the Norma!
They should, though. .308/.358 Norma = Two of the best designed magnum cases, ever, IMO.

[ 11-13-2003, 17:00: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
If Winchester had introduced the .338 as a .35 caliber, we would all be shooting those today and the .33 s would still be wildcats or niche cartridges......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SDGUNSLINGER...truer words were never spoken. Truly a great cartridege in a world gone magnum nuts!

Posts: 353 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The numbers seemed a little low to me. Using a 250 grain Nosler partition I get 2705 fps average in my whelen. Would it be because I have a custom barrel on it? Anyway I love the whelen, it's just waiting for it's first elk.

Posts: 66 | Location: WASHINGTON | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
I am selling my Whelen, If anybody is interested.. MD

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35WLN

2700 for 250's is pretty darn fast. Most of the loading manuals are pretty conservative, so you can do a little better most of the time.

2700 with 225's is what most consider in the whelen to be in the safe range, 2500-2550 for 250's. Maybe you do have a fast barrel, what is your recipe if you dont mind?

I load 225 partitons with 59.5 gr of RL15, and its well over nosler's max published load. I havent chrono'd the load yet, but id be suprised if i was getting over 2700 fps out of my 22" factory barrel.

Nickudu
Thanks for putting that article up, i enjoyed the read.

Leaving for my elk hunt tomorrow, i hope i get a chance to bust one with the new whelen... those 225 partitions should do the trick [Big Grin]

[ 11-14-2003, 14:26: Message edited by: SeanD ]

Posts: 107 | Location: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: 02 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SeanD, I use well over Nosler's recomemendations. I use 60.5 grains of R-15 with remington primers in rem brass out of a 22 inch barrel. If you try this please start at nosler's low and work up. Be safe. At 60.5 it just starts flattening the primer on my rifle with no extracter marks. I know it's hot, but it puts all three touching at 100 yards all day long. Good luck.

Posts: 66 | Location: WASHINGTON | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.35 Whelen Guys,

The load I've been using in my .35 Whelen Rem. 700 Classic (22" Barrel) is 58.5 grs RL 15 in Rem. brass with WLR primers and the 250 grain Nosler Partition. 2 elk and 2 moose have fallen to this combo. It gives 2,525 fps on my Chrony. I get Sub inch groups. Just switched to an old set of Kimber Double Lever Mounts because the places I've used this rifle are always wet! Plan on putting a Lyman 57 on as a backup. One of those moose was a lazered 280 yards. Does that sound like a "meduium" range rifle?

Rich Elliott

This is added a few hours later:

Just got back from the range. I sighted in the rifle and shot a 3/8" 3 shot group at 100 yds. You can cover it with a nickle! [Big Grin]

R.E.

[ 11-15-2003, 21:33: Message edited by: Rich Elliott ]

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote