Find
Notify
Tools

Newfoundland caribou/moose?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am considering a hunt for moose and caribou in Newfoundland for 2004. If you have hunted in Newfoundland, please relate your impressions, and what experiences you have had with outfitters there.

Posts: 3839 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loud-n-Boomer, looking forward to hearing the responses to your question; I've been wanting to do the same hunt for several years now, especially if some fishing and/or bird hunting could be included.

Craig

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would avoid Dave Thoms out of Bishop Falls. Less just say I lost money dealing with him and leave it at that.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunted their in 98, lots of wilderness. We were doing a caribou/black bear combo. Out of one week I saw 3 cow caribou, one killed out of 6 hunters. Did kill a B&C bear. Saw moose every day but no tag. I would stay away from Owls Nest also.

Posts: 44 | Location: Texas | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I moose hunted there this past Oct. Everyone got Moose. 2 48-49", 1-30" and a cow. The hunt was the TOUGHEST I've been on. Stay away from Southern Newfoundland.According to our guides. They said the southern part has been over hunted. I hunted with Rack Lake Outfitters. They only take 16-20 hunters per year. Book early. We hunted up near Deer Lake/Daniels Harbour. This is in the northern penisula. Expect rainy,foggy weather. We only 4 out of 7 days. Almost got stuck there extra days because the plane couldnt fly in the high wind and fog. I did see plenty of Moose and our guides claim we really did not have ideal conditions weather wise. If you need more info such as phone numbers etc. I will get them for you. Good Luck

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add that we did see one big bear and a few Woodland Caribou. The bear tag would have only been $100. We thought you could get it once there. Wrong. You have to apply early when you book your hunt. We were mainly interested in the Moose and that took up most of our available time to hunt. The Newfies are also not in a big hurry and dont get too excited. But they sure do work for your moose if you can keep up with them.

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two of us went last year. We went with "Snow Shoe Lake Outfitters" Fantastic Hunt!!! I took a nice Caribou, and record book Black Bear. My buddy took a Real nice Bou, and very Large Bull Moose. Well worth the money!!! When I go back I will take a shotgun for bird too!!
We saw alot of bou, and only about 15 bull moose, I didn't have a tag for moose.

Posts: 49 | Location: Lisbon, Oh. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Joe Peddle.A great time.Some of the
best guides I've hunted with.Every thing about the
hunt was top notch.We hunted the SW portion,the
Greys river area.Saw lots of game,both moose &
bou.Never saw another person.Some day I will do
it again.
Lots of walking in bogs.Sucks at your feet all
day.It is tough walking,but a great time.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote