New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cry'in shame
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I write this as a warning to other guys on blood thinning medication (warfarin, coumodin, etc.) I finally received my new Ruger #1 in 300 winchester. I ordered it in April and received it in late August. Since firing it I have developed a blood clot in my shoulder that was caused by internal bleeding due to the rifles recoil. I want to stress that it's not the rifle that's hard kicking it's me and my poor heart condition. I have shot sawed off 10 guages, maxed out large bore rifles and other ignorantly stupid pieces of weaponry. Mr. Ruger should be proud. It's a beautiful/functional piece of mechanical art. BUT, it's now hunting season here and i'm going to be layed up for a good 3 weeks due to not knowing my rifle before hunting season. Don't let this happen to you.

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Sorry to hear about your blood clot. I hope you have a swift and rapid recovery.

Also be warned that as we age the chance of suffering a detached retina increases. John Wooters had this happen to him and I have not seen him in the press for a few years now.

Almost all of the old butt plates were steel or hard plastic. That's why I don't look down at pre 64 M 70's with pads.

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
Hope you are better before the end of the season.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Man, that is just awful. Does this mean you have to shoot lighter rifles from now on?

Of course, this isn't something the docs would even think to warn you about.

Get well soon.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote