New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is going on
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been hunting the last 5 days and I come back and it seems like a lot of crying about this and that. Who really cares if someone shoots at a running deer or if it is not a broadside shot. As long as what you are shooting at died I really dont care. What is the difference if you shoot at a deer running or a bird flying? Nothing! I shot 4 deer over the last five days two standing two running one of them that was standing was facing straight away from me at 255 yards I took a hard raking shot and let the 140 Accubond flying out of the 7mm STW at 3420fps do its job and that deer didnt move. Then I took a broadside shot the next day at 200 yards and the Doe ran 50 yards before she died. End result the broadside shot ran fell over and kicked twice then died the other Doe with the raking shot never even flinched it was instant death. So the perfact broadside shot doesnt mean instant death all the time. Now my buck I shot was running at around 200 yards broadside thats the shot I took and I took two shots one would have been enough the second was to make dam sure he didnt go anywhere. I am proud to say I shot him at 200 yards running and for you guys that dont like running shots I really dont care what you think. I shoot enough and have shot enough to take the shots I take. Just cause you dont, can't, or won't doesnt mean someone else can't do it. To many people watch TV hunting shows and get the idea that you cant shoot a moving deer even when walking and it is a bunch of crap. I have shot deer running out to 450 yards and like I said before I can take those shots so dont put your limits on me. As for the shooting vs Hunting, the hunting stops when you pull the trigger end of story. As for how many people practice not enough if you ask me!!! I work with a guy who thinks he is dead eye dick because he was in the Army and used to shoot a lot. Well he hasnt shot a rifle for about 10 years and has been out deer hunting and missing all kinds of deer over the last two weeks. But because he could shoot 10 years ago he says he is a good shot and that is about what your average deer hunter is like. Makes you feel all warm and tingley inside doesnt it? Now you can flame me off the board and rip me apart over what I said since that seems to be the norm around here lately. Oh and if anyone cares here is the buck I shot running.

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dakor
Well said

Posts: 76 | Location: Northwest Alberta, Canada | Registered: 05 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you are the one to vent a lot of other peoples feelings.

BTW nice buck. From the look of that neck he was probably trying to run down a doe when you shot him

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have shot deer running out to 450 yards and like I said before I can take those shots so dont put your limits on me.

Just a quick question: If a deer is running at 450 yds., how do you know har far away it is? You know, for the purpose of hold over, lead, etc.
Thanks,
35W

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35 to answer your question experiance and practice is the only way. I also shoot very flat shooting rifles my 6mm-284 and 7mm STW are only 14 inches low at 450 yards with a 300 yard zero. I also set my scope to a certain power and if you practice this methed you can also range distance on animals just by how big they appear in the scope. Like I said I have hunted and practiced a lot. That Whitetail in my picture is #67 not bad for someone who is 27 years old. I also shoot alot of running shots at jack rabbits and fox at long distances last year I shot a fox at 458 yards with my 220 swift and he was running straight away from me. In case you are wondering I ranged it after he fell that is how I knew the exact distance. When I put the hairs on him I figured it to be about 425 yards so I wasnt that far off. Jack Rabbits are about the hardest animal to hit when they are running and that is what I practice on. We have lots of them around here and they like to kill trees in the winter by eating all the bark off the bottom. Some people think I am crazzy for shooting at little rabbits with my 7mm STW but the only way to know your rifle is to use it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So how high is your rifle shooting at 70 yards or 175?? Great you can shoot that far and that you have killed 67 deer, but will you admit to any wounded animals??

I ask because this year I had 2 cow elk hunters miss and wound elk at under 150 yards because their gun were sighted in for 300 yards.

Not trying to bash you, but you started by telling us how good you shoot.

BTW- My personal limit is 450 yards for a broadside stander. I have shot many animals over 300 yards. So I do not believe in the "Over 200 yards is too far", but I also don't agree with taking 400+ yard running shots. I shoot a 280.

Also, nice deer.

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

BTW- My personal limit is 450 yards for a broadside stander

Which according to 35Whelen is an unethical shot because of the risk of wounding an animal.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MGC to answer your question my rifle is 2 inches High at 75 yards 2.6 inches high at 100 yards 2.8 inches high at 175 yards 2.9 at 200 yards 2.0 at 250 yards and dead on at 300 yards. Now as for wonding an animal I have, and I took care of it. I once spent 6 hours looking for a buck that I hit far back most people would have called it quits I walked about 7 to 8 miles through cat tail sloughs and finally found him and put him down. The buck I follwed was not a long shot either he was about 75 yards and I just made a bad shot it happends to everyone. But the point is I did what needed to be done and put him down. Anyone who has really hunted has wounded or lost a animal and if they try tell you any different they are full of it. I have lost one deer with my rifle and a couple with my bow. The rifle deer lived as I only grazed him accross the back and fur was all I got and that was back in my younger days when I was just starting out. The couple I lost with my bow were because of poor shot placement. I am human I make mistakes everyone one does and everyone misses from time to time or makes a bad shot just the way the game goes. 35 I read your post on the Elk you lost and I think you need to chose a different bullet or different rifle all together. That 35 does not push bullets fast enough to reliable expand bullets in excess of 200 yards. I would look at a 338 win or a 358 STA or if you dont like recoil a 30/06 with 150 Barnes TSX or a 165 Partition will kill any Elk out to 400 yards. Not saying your 35 is a bad cartridge it was designed for brush were shots were up close not for shooting accross a canyon.

one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Quote:

<snip>35 I read your post on the Elk you lost and I think you need to chose a different bullet or different rifle all together. That 35 does not push bullets fast enough to reliable expand bullets in excess of 200 yards. I would look at a 338 win or a 358 STA or if you dont like recoil a 30/06 with 150 Barnes TSX or a 165 Partition will kill any Elk out to 400 yards. Not saying your 35 is a bad cartridge it was designed for brush were shots were up close not for shooting accross a canyon.

dakor,
I certainly do not want to flame you, but what you said in your last post doesn't make much sense to me!! You say the 35 Whelen does not push bullets fast enough for them to reliably expand over 200 yds. and that I should look at a 338 Win. or 358 STA.
First, I'll not own a hand length, ear drum rupturing, powder gobbling magnum such as the 358 STA. More power to the folks who like them, I for personal reasons do not.
I personally prefer cartridges with the .473" head as I enjoy piddling with rifles, particularly Mausers, and have built a few for myself, my 35 Whelen being the most recent. Several years ago, I fired a 338 Win that belonged to a buddy of mine and really enjoyed shooting it. I mean it was FUN to shoot! And I know that the 338 Win., with the standard factory load of a 225 gr. bullet @ 2780 fps has always been considered one of THE premier game cartridges especially where elk are concerned.
But, as of last week I have exceeded 2700 fps with 3 different 225 gr. bullets in my Whelen. Why would i want a 338 Win., and could it be that much better? I realize the 338's bullets, given like wieghts, will have greater sectional density, but given that I'm now using the Barnes TSX, I feel that's a moot point.
You say the Whelen doesn't push bullets fast enough for them to expand reliably beyond 200 yds.and that it was designed for brush hunting where shots are up close. Then you say "a 30/06 with 150 Barnes TSX or a 165 Partition will kill any Elk out to 400 yards." Huh?!?!? Did you know that a 35 Whelen is based on a 30-06 case? Did you know that a Whelen will run a Barnes 200 gr. X as fast as an '06 will run a 165 gr. Partition and that it is capable of running a 225 gr. TSX as roughly as fast as the '06 runs a 180 gr. bullet?
No offense, but these numbers aren't jibing!!
FWIW,
35Whelen

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well 35 you are forgetting that the 358 Partitions where made for the 358 Norma not the 35 Whelen and also Nosler has been beefing up their partition line for the new super magnums that have come out over the last few years such as the 358 STA. The Norma and STA shoot about 200 to 400 fps faster then the 35 whelen. As for a 338 with a 225 you are really low balling it. A 338 can easily shoot a 225 grain at 2850 to 2900 FPS with hand loads. As for the 30/06 those bullets have not been beefed up yet as far as I know but I would expect that in the future they will. They have beefed up the 7mm Partitions already so I would think the 30 cal would be the next one. Yes I know the 35 Whelen is based off the /06 and I know the ballistics on it. Let me ask you this on the Elk you shot what did the wound channel look like? Where the bullet went in was there any blood shot meat or was there just a round hole and the meat was still pink like a bow kill? How much did the bullet expand? As for the 30/06 shooting Elk out to 400 yards there is a lot of Elk hunters out there that will tell you it can do it and works well.

one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Well 35 you are forgetting that the 358 Partitions where made for the 358 Norma not the 35 Whelen and also Nosler has been beefing up their partition line for the new super magnums that have come out over the last few years such as the 358 STA.

Where did you get this info? Do you work for Nosler? I seriously doubt they've been "beefing up" their line for the new super magnums especially where 35 calibers are concerned. Why? 1.- .35 caliber rifles aren't very popular. 2.-Although I don't have any data yet, I'd bet the farm that on RCBS die sales chart that the 358 Win. and the 35 Whelen rank far above such obscure numbers such as the 358 Norma and the 358 STA. Besides, if their .30 caliber Partitions will work in everything from a 300 Savage to a 300 Weatherby, why wouldn't the 35 cals. be as flexible?

Quote:

As for a 338 with a 225 you are really low balling it.

Low-balling it???? The load I quoted, a 225 gr. @ 2780 fps, can be found here: http://www.remington.com/ammo/ballistics/centerfire/comp_ballistics_results.asp

and here: http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=S338CT&cart=MzM4IFdpbmNoZXN0ZXIgTWFnbnVt

I know the cartridge can be loaded to higher velocities. But my point was this: For the first 40 or so years of the life of this cartridge, and talking about the period prior to factory HE loads or those loaded with premium bullets, this cartridge killed game from the size of elk on up by the boxcar loads. It was and is considered THE cartridge for elk. And it did it with the factory loads of the 225 gr load at 2780-2800 fps, and the 250 gr. load at 2650 fps +/-; both of which are less than 100 fps faster than 35 Whelen handloads.

Quote:

Let me ask you this on the Elk you shot what did the wound channel look like? Where the bullet went in was there any blood shot meat or was there just a round hole and the meat was still pink like a bow kill? How much did the bullet expand?

What did the wound channel look like? It looked like two large caliber bullets had entered behind the left shoulder, broke a rib apiece and traversed forward to the right shoulder. Typically, there wasn't much bloodshot meat at the entrance wound of the bullets, but there was quite a bit of ruined meat on the right shoulder. In fact, the fella that processed the meat apologized for not being able to save much meat out of the right shoulder. Believe me, in 25 or so years of big game hunting, I've cut away many, many pounds of bloodshot meat.
Trust me when I say that UNDERexpansion was not the problem. In fact I believe that a combination of to thin a jacket up front coupled with too short (hence, too light in weight) of the rear portion were the main problem.
Lest you think the bullets underexpanded, let me tell you that when I got to the bull he had a good quart of lung and gel-looking blood hanging from his mouth.
I was in quite a hurry to get the elk skinned, quartered and loaded on the pack horses, and back to civilization before dark, so I didn't take much time at all to look for the bullets even though they hadn't exited.
Maybe we ought to take a poll on the Whelen for elk. I'd bet there are lots of hunters out there who have used it.
35W

one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all I said with handloads with the 338 not factory wich handloading has been around for probably a good 60+ years. As for the Whelen for Elk I never said that it wasnt a good cartridge it wasnt designed to shoot Elk in the open is what I said just like the 30/40 craig or 30/30. As for the Partitions being beefed up yes they have in some lines because of High velocity calibers. I asked their bullet tech about two years ago why the 150 Partitions for a 7mm were not expanding as much as the older ones I had. He said because the jacket was thicker then the older bullet I had. As for the age of the bullets I was comparing them to I bought those in 1999 or 2000 and the new bullets were bought in 2002. The 375 300 grain bullet also has been changed according to 458Win. I have not talked to Nolser to check and make sure if it has but with a guy like 458win I dont think he is bullshatting me. As for die sales you are probably right so does that mean that Nolser makes their bullet that is not supposed to fail based on the low velocity calibers in a certain cal? I doubt it. I would say Nosler would base their bullet construction on the caliber that is really going to put the most demands on their bullet. I will say this though if you are unhappy with your setup change it. How you change it is up to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakor: What part of ND are you hunting?

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JD I am hunting the eastern part.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering. I've got family near Cooperstown, and I was thinking of buying a few more doe licenses for around there.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live about 2 hours northeast from Cooperstown. There are lots of deer running around that area so getting a doe should not be a problem. They are also going to have a second season in December. That will make getting a Doe real easy because by that time they will be in heards and feed most of the day.