Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Size Question?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt trophy mule deer. During that time, I am proud to say that I was made to look like an idiot by some of the biggest mule deer in the world. I have gained a huge respect for the animal that no Zoo viewing, national park tourist will ever obtain.
I have the same opinion on guided hunts period. While most may appreciate the cunnings of a particular game animal, it takes years of hunting the really big boys to really gain a respect for them. You can't gain that respect in one week of hunting. The same goes for the guy who stumbles into a monster by shear luck, even if it is on public ground.
Private ranches grow them big, but without hunting pressure, the animal tends to be dumber. That said, I will congradulate anyone on shooting a trophy animal, because quite frankly, the animal deserves it. I hope the old boy appreciates what he has taken.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CK
Tell your brother inlaw congratulations on his Elk. If he hunted the Elk on 20,000 acres and walked for that long at his age, he earned his Elk and I'm proud he is still hunting. My Grandfather hunted until hi 80's and my uncle is 91 and has taken a deer with his 44 Mag Pistol the last three years. The Elk hunt in North Dakota was no more an unfair hunt than the ones on the private ranches where they drive out to an Alfalfa field and shoot out the P.U. window.

Hawkeywe 47