THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    308 Winchester And Moose - What Bullet?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 Winchester And Moose - What Bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
I have a Browning BAR in .308 Winchester. I know it is not the best round or action. If you were going to use it on eastern Canadian moose, what factory round would you use? Thinking of the 180 grain Partition or the 165 grain Bear Claw. I am not reloading for this gun yet, still studying the do's and dont's for a semi-auto. Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leo M
Between my wife and I we have used both of those bullets in Federal factory loads for deer and pigs. I would not hesitate to use either on Moose. Use which ever bullet shoots best in your Browning.
Carry a sharp knife, you should need it. [Wink]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Carl>
posted
Hi Leo;
Bullet size or type may be important to some but Shoot placement is probably more important as big Moose can be a tough as anything. We find the best shoots are low and into the hearth. Keep shooting untill the animal is down. Good Luck and happy hunting. Carl

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I cant say about eastern Canada, but around here Moose arent easily spooked. Id opt for a heavy for caliber bullet, 180-200 grain and maybe even make it a RN. But I dont know if those can be had in factory rounds. But anything from 165 grains on up should be fine, them little 308's do a nice job of getting the slug where you aim. [Wink]

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just this afternoon, one of my hunting buddies returned from a moose hunt in east Idaho. He and his friend had cow moose tags. My friend killed a large cow, at about 150 yards, with one round from his Rem. 700 .30-06, just behind the shoulder. it went through the cow and she went down immediately. His reload was the 150 grain Sierra Spitzer boattail, chrono'd at about 3,100 FPS.

His friend killed another large cow moose with his Browning BAR .270 Win., using the 150 gr. Fed. Premium Nosler Partition. Again, one shot at about 140/150 yards, the moose was wobbling down when he shot again, this time hitting the moose in the head, killing it instantly.

Several years ago, my cousin here in Boise, killed an Idaho bull moose, in the Island Park area, using his old Featherweight Win. Mdl. 70, .308 Win. He shot once at about 90 yards, and killed it. He was using the 180 grain Rem. PSP Core Lok factory rounds.

As said above, shot placement is the most important thing.

FWIW. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that either of the ones you mentioned would be fine. If you're using factory ammo, Federal loads the 165 TBBC and the 180 NP in their High Energy line, and these definitely get the nod, as they produce velocities equal to normal .30-06 loads. My sons have used the .308 Win 180 NP on elk and moose and have had no trouble putting them down.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank God for some sanity.
LeoM you could not pick a better to choices.
Use the 1 that shots better and post the pictures.

ED

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
<Varmint Hunter>
posted
I must be one of those overkill kinda guys. If I was hunting moose with a .308 than I would definately want the bullet that would retain the most weight after expansion to ensure the most penetration. The Failsafe and Barnes X bullets would fit the bill.

Yea, I know that shot placement is 75% of the kill but we don't always get or take that perfect shot.

Just my 2 cents.

VH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
try federal h.e. 180 n.p..

i would not use the t.b.b.c., some have had bad results. moose big, heavy muscles, thick bones.

cold zero [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leo M
It is not recommended that you shoot the Federal HE [High Energy] or the Hornady Light Magnums in a semi-auto. Not to worry the standard Federal loads with the Nosler or the Trophy Bonded bullets will work just fine.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in Sweden the different 180grains bullets are the most popular for the 308Win when it's moose time. The 180grains partition isn't a bad choice in that caliber!

Posts: 92 | Location: Jamtland, Sweden | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180 gr woodleigh.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. The only Fail Safe factory loading is for the 150 grain bullet. Would this be too light or would the extra speed make up for the lesser weight? I am aware of the High Eneregy/Light Magnum issue. Thanks again.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick with the 165 or 180gr weight. A factory federal 180 partition would be oh' so perfect.

Forgot who it was but Please inform us on the Bad experience with the Trophy Bonded.
I have heard of "trouble" but after about 4000 kills I think they are the shit, thou not as predictably accurate as the Nosler.

Ed

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
180 partition or similar weight X bullet.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I killed a bull earlier this fall with a .308 180 partition handload

about 2700 fps at the muzzle

slight quartering away shot, 140 yds

bullet entered, breaking a rib, ripped up the big vessels at top of heart and both lungs, broke another rib, broke the humerus of the far leg (that's a big bone, over 1" in dia on a bull), and lodged in muscle just under the skin

bullet weighed about 120 grains, beautiful mushroom with the core in front of the partition missing

the moose went 15 yds after the shot and rolled

this is the first partition I've ever recovered, all the others have gone completely thru elk

it's a great bullet, and I thought the 308 worked just fine on the moose

Posts: 50 | Location: CO | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
E O... are you suggesting that you have seen or have acomplished 4000 kills with the TBBC?
I smell smoke.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote