Find
Notify
Tools

What's A Good Moose Call?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
I need a moose call, any suggestions? I see two at Cabelas, one by Carlton and another by Lohman. Either of these any good or should I be looking at something else? Thanks for any help.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Lohman call just to see what they were like. I wasn't impressed. I think you're better off to buy a good calling tape and make a "horn" out of tar paper or birch bark. Then do a lot of practicing.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best moose calls are the ones you can make. The only problem is that you would have to listen to "real" moose calling, but there are videos such as "Love Thunder And Bull" you can watch and listen to. These videos are sold in Alaska, and I imagine you can ask at the Alaska forum in here, or at one of the Alaska hunting forums from Alaska.

The "Love Thunder And Bull 2" has more moose calling than the first, but both are good. Once you learn the basics, calling moose is not hard at all.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
leo,

As Ray suggested calling moose is not rocket science. If they are in a receptive mood you don't have to be a champion caller. listen to a few calling tapes and try to mimic the call. You can do a really great job with just your own hands and a little practice.

Good Hunting,

Mark

Posts: 13018 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone still use th old coffee can and a leather string from the bottom call? I remember these being quite popular when I lived up there 20 years ago.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree use your voicebox and a birch bark or similar to aid in tone. Calling moose is one of the easier to learn and as mentioned if in the mood it doesn't take a champion voicebox to egg on a response from a wanting moose. The coffee can/string trick is still popular for a cow in heat call in Sask, it also doubles for use of pouring water out to simulate a bull urinating in water, that being said it is also more than i want to carry while hunting these diamond willow beasts and personally I just use my birch bark and voice to simulate both calls.

Get yourself some calling tapes or videos and start mimicing, you don't need the birch bark, etc to learn the basic sounds as it will only aid in tone while hunting the woods.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here Moosie Moosie, is a good call to us on them.

LOL, i spend too much time on here, i am getting giddy

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote