Find
Notify
Tools

.270 vs 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
I don't own any 270's but i do own 4 30/06's 2 bolts 1 pump and 1 single shot. Just look at any ballistics table and you'll see (on paper anyway} that the 06 is your choice to 300 yards , but from 300 yds and out the 270 has flatter trajectory and more foot pounds of energy.So maybe the 270 is abetter long range cartridge.But i will be honest if i ever thought i would be taking 500 yard shots or better then i would go with one of the new remington ulttra magnums, the 7mm for deer size game and the 300 up to elk. For the big bears i would prefer the .338 ultra mag. Later

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I might as well enter my opinion:

If expense is a consideration at all, pick the 06 because as said before, you can do all the 270 does and more.

If expense really matters, you might consider the 300WinMag (or WSM), which will serve 270 and 06 purposes plus give you a bit more thump on a big bear. It helps if you reload of course.

One note, expense doesn't seem to matter all that much in here. I get the impression a lot of you have a considerable collection, probably approaching the value of the house they're stored in. [Wink]

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Allen and Smallfry,

You state that your prefered two go to guns are a 270 and something larger than a 30-06 and in the same breath mention the lower recoil of a 270 over a 30-06. There is a flip side to that coin, Why not reach for a 25-06 over a 270 because of "better ballistics and less recoil", it will kill the same class of game, and a 30-06 for larger sized animals because it has less recoil than more powerfull rounds.. Makes sense to me, the 06 may be seen as a versatile gun by many but for some of us it is just as "well suited" for certian things as others percieve their prefered chamberings to be.

Its in the eye of the beholder [Wink]

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wstrnhuntr... Funny you mentioned the 25-06 because it is a big favorite of mine. I tell you something about the 25-06... it is a very deadly cartridge, though when you get into animals 400# or more your projectiles (like NPs and X's) yield on heavy bone so much that they start to make too small of a wound (after the bone encounter) to feel comfortable with. Also, overall the 25-06 will penetrate less than a 270. I do hunt more with a 25-06, and have taken elk (as my brother has) and many hogs with mine. If a person shot 100 deer with each with the 270,25-06, and 300 mag, you probably wouldnt see a diff in the distance traveled if you shot a 100 elk or kudu or zebra with each, you probably would see a diff. For the most part, when you go to a 300 from a 270 you will see that the 300 overcomes resistance and retains a higher velocity while it is penetrating a large animal, thus doing more dammage (hitting harder if you will )then a 270 or 30-06
I know for a fact that there isnt a single animal I have shot that I couldnt have killed with a 30-06, but prefer a 270.

[ 01-08-2003, 09:42: Message edited by: smallfry ]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Thunderstick>
posted
My opinion is that the 30-06 is definately the superior cartridge for the one gun hunter (including big game but excluding dangerous game). But if the hunter is planning on using at least two big game calibers such as standard and a magnum, then a 30-06 has no appeal to me.
Why not use the -06 case and neck it down to a 25 or 27 caliber and get some extra velocity and trajectory. For the bigger game use a bigger rifle like a 30 or 33 caliber magnum. This covers the spectrum much better and offers far more versatility. These cartridges can be set up in similar rifles and will have similar trajectories.

So (in my opinion) if you are having one rifle go with the 30-06; if you plan to add a second larger rifle, go with the 25-06 or 270.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
The 270 shoots a bit flatter than the 06, kicks less and seems the ideal light piece in a two rifle NA battery paired with a 338 WM.

As has been said, the 30-06 is perfect for the one gun hunter as it handles so many bullet weights and splits the difference between the 270 and 338 WM (at least in bore size).

The 300 Mags combine in a compromise the flat-shooting attributes of the 270 and the hard-hitting characteristic's of the 338 WM and is a solid choice for a "battery of one."

BA

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I have both there is not realy a reason to choose one aboth the other. I like my 270 more but still use the 3006 with no problems

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For deer, I'd have to say that in my experience, there is not a whole lot of difference between a 150 gr .30-06 at 3000 FPS or a 130 gr .270 at about the same speed from my 22-inch barrel. For larger game, the .30-06 would get the nod from me.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Split the baby down the middle and go with the 280, it will give you the best of both worlds.
If everybody went with the 280 we could do away with the 270 and 30-06 once and for all, thus emliminating the need to further ponder this rediculous question. [Big Grin]

[ 01-11-2003, 06:24: Message edited by: DOCTOR LOU ]

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just found this thread and thought the replies were interesting so I'm bringing it back.....

As for a pick between the two:

I've used a 30-06 on deer and it worked well but have since sold that gun and don't own a 30-06.

I was given a 270 a couple years ago and have enjoyed shooting it at the range but haven't taken a deer with it yet so.....

I'll vote for the 30-06 with my right hand and for the 270 with my left hand. [Big Grin] Does that count?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own two of each one and love both calibers. If I am hunting our area in Hill country in Texas for small bodied deer I usually take the 270. If hogs are also on the agenda I take the 06. I usually take both.I love them both and both calibers have proven themselves to me over and over. No arguments from me on this topic.

Doug

[ 04-28-2003, 14:29: Message edited by: dwhunter ]

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1917 Enfield (sporterized) in '06, Love it hands down. I've shot game with .270's (borrowed) did NOT impress me, 2 trophy buck ran off never to be found. WSM's no need really for them in this neck of the woods unless you shoot at a really long distance, but those disatnces are seldom seen here. I run Nosler B-Tips in my '06 of the 165 gr. weight and have NEVER had a deer run away yet. I would use a 180 gr. Partition for bear, though. With my small 11 gun arsenal here, no critter in this state will escape. Why not throw in the 7.62x54Rmm in this discussion, it too, will do a great job on bear, deer, varmints, etc. This of course is just my opinion. Not meant to draw flames here, Thank You.

posted Hide Post
I have shot used both the .270 & .30/06 quite a bit, so from my point of view, I must admit that I believe the '06 is more verstile, with a 220gr bullet, it can do things that a .270 can't. That said, I prefer the .270 just for personal reasons, mostly because my dad grew up on Mr. O'connor and is a rabid .270 lover. I actually like the .280 Rem better than either, and think that the 7X57 Mauser is one of the most eloquent rounds ever designed. I personally despise magnums, especially the 7mm Rem Mag, even though it is a most capable performer. Just a personal distaste for magnums, except for the .375 H&H.

The real truth of the matter is that any round you pick between .270 and .308 is very lethal in the hands of an experienced marksman.

Lynn Miller

Posts: 11 | Location: Sydney, NSW AUS | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
either or, which ever floats your boat I personally shoot an 06 I have owned a .270 and probably killed 300-400 animals with it and probably have killed the same amount with the 30/06 I doubt if I can tell that much difference maybe the bigger hole might kill slightly better.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Having an indoor shooting range here in Centurion South Africa I must say that here in the bushveld the most populer being sighted for the season is the 30-06 and the 303.

On the other hand, the 270 is very popular in the Eastern Cape. I personaly think its nice to have both.

Shot a Waterbuck three weeks ago with the 100gr 270 Impala bullet at 3400 f/s through the shoulders. The heart and one lung was severely damaged and it dropped at 30 yards. Wasted meat was 200 gram. A shot to remember and I will wait 24 months for the trophy.

On the other hand I must admit I am not going to sell my 270 although I prefer my 30-06.

Clarke (Gatehouse), I hope you will receive the bullets soon -

Regards

Posts: 11 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 19 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a 30-06 fan myself but I would think a .270 would kill any hog walking. And right handily.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"A effcacious [sp] cartridge is one that can handle a wide variety of circumstances with one weight of projectile." - smallfry

smallfry,
I'm not sure about your use of the word "efficacious," (the ability to produce the intended effect - almost synonymous with "effective"), but the .30-06 can be very effective in a wide variety of circumstances and for many game animals when loaded with a good 180-grain projectile, as can the .270 when loaded with a good 140- or 150-grain bullet. For all purposes, if you got me in a corner and said I'd have to go with one, I'd rather have the 180-grain .308 bullet than the 150-grain .277, even if the velocity difference favors the .270.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And thats where people have personal preferences John G. I have had good results with the 270. Nothing I have shot wouldnt have died from a 30-06 also.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have all three-.270,.280 and the 30.06. The .280 gets my vote!

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a one gun solution, especially if you handload, the .30-06 if FAR superior to the .270. I was looking at the latest Hodgdons reloading manual. I'm quoting these because Hodgdons has a lot of powders, and that many of the powders give velocities very close to ones quoted below, not just one fluke powder.

Here are the highest velocities from the manual:

.30-06 130 g 3179 fps 48,300 cup
.270 130 g 3025 fps 51,000 cup

.30-06 154 fps faster 2,700 cup less pressure

.30-06 150 g 3068 fps 48,400 cup
.270 150 g 2831 fps 51,000 cup

.30-06 237 fps faster 2,600 cup less pressure

.30-06 180 g 2798 fps 49,300 cup
.270 180 g 2540 fps 50,600 cup

.30-06 258 fps faster 1,300 cup less pressure

Loading the .30-06 up to .270 pressures even widens the gap.

Verdict: .30-06 wins by a MILE in factory pressure tested studies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who thinks there is any difference what so ever between the two is in a fantasy world, the difference is so slight in any direction that is is miniscule....Sometimes I think folks read to many gun magazines...You shoot enough game with both and then tell me their is a difference, and if you think there is, then I will have serious doubts about your mentality... [Big Grin]

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IN my view, there isnt much difference in these cartridges. Futhermore, if I had two trophy bucks run off after shooting them with a 270, I think I would start spending alot of time at the rifle range, because deer dont run off as you profess from a well placed 270 shot in proper range. I have shot them both, I own them both, and I love them both...take your pick, they are both excellent cartridges. Less recoil with the 270, more bullet options with the 06, nod to the 270 as a flatter shooting cartridge.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have had two .270 win, and three 30-06. I now own one .270 custom, and have my eye on another pre-wart ADL with some surprisingly nice wood.

I like the .270 win.

I do not dislike the 30-06.

I like the .270 win. better.

I do not know why I like the .270 win better.

I just do.

I want another .270 win.

I do not now why I want another .270 win.

I just do.

I would like to have another 30-06.

I do not know why I would like another 30-06.

I just do.

I would like to have another .270 win. first.

I do not know why I want another .270 win first.

I just do.

Makes perfect sense to me. Putting it down in a logical and sientificly accurate order has been helpful for me. I hope it has helped to shed some light on the issue at hand for others as well.

GB

Posts: 10 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GB,

I like that!!! I'll have to give it a try. Might help 'splain some things for me!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Here in Wyoming they use them both on everything up to elk. It is about six of one and a half a dozen of the other. The .30-06 doesn't kill an animal any deader than the .270. The only difference that I have noticed is that the .270 massages my right shoulder a little less.

[ 05-06-2003, 04:58: Message edited by: WyoJoe ]

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it really depends on which one you shoot better. You are talking about hunting. The main concern is not caliber, but shot placement. If you are uncomfortable with a 30-06, you have two choices. 1.) add more weight to the rifle, thus reducing recoil. 2.) go to a lighter cartridge, in this case the .270.

I own a 6mm, 30-06 and a 45-70. The 6mm is a lot of fun to shoot. It is a custom VZ24 mauser. I picked it up many, many years ago at Sears for about $30.00 as military surplus. Over the years, I have had it totally redone. Matter of fact, I just had it out last year for the final step, engraving. It shoots like a champ.

I know it can take deer, elk and bear with it. But I wouldn't use it for anything beyond deer. I would not take it on a trip to a remote area. The reason, as I have painfully learned, is that it is almost impossible to walk into a small town and buy ammo for it.

I have a Win 70 in 30-06. I handload. So I can and do load everything from 22 sabot to 220 grn round nose. But for hunting, I have only 1 load. That is a 180 Nosler Partition in front of IMR 4320. I have learned to shoot that load at every distance. But I will not take shots beyond 150 yards. The reason is simple, beyond that and I lose enough control to not be sure of the placement. Yes, I will hit. But I can not be 100% sure of a heart lung shot. I refuse to take a shot that will not kill quickly.

I recently purchased a Marlin lever in 45-70. It has the 26 inch octagon barrel and holds 10 rounds in the tube. Most people I know, including myself, find it an uncomfortable rifle to shoot with heavy hand loads. I do reload 300 grn lead bullets ahead of about 11 grains of Unique. In that load, it is a pussy cat and a lot of fun to shoot. To remedy the situation, I have had it magna-ported. I had a morgan recoil pad installed. I have drilled 2 holes in the butt stock into which I placed 1 lb of lead. I have 6 dummy rounds filled with lead which add almost another pound. In all, I have added 2 lbs to the rifle. I now find it comfortable to shoot 420grn linotype cast bullets in front of 53grns of IMR 3031. In effect, I have reduced the recoil to that of a 30-06. I consider this rifle to be good to about 100 yards. Again, beyond that, my shoot placement leaves something to be desired.

I think the question again, is what can you shoot well. Find a good, quality bullet, eg Nosler Partition, Barnes X or Swift A-Frame in one weight and learn to shoot it.

Whether you choose 270 or 30-06 is not nearly as important as what you can do well with the tools in your hands. The memory of all my hunts has nothing to do with the cartridge used. It has everything to do with the time spent in the field, alone or with friends. Of the sights and sounds, the wind and the snow. It has to do with knowing, I have done everything in my power to harvest the game as humanely as possible.

Pete

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

You know when you do something, and you think it'd be funny....

And everyone will get a good laugh...

And then it comes back to haunt you....

Over and over and over again? [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
when y'all resolve this really deep question, please wake me up. Then you can discuss which is the superior cartridge, the .270 or the .280. Or maybe, the 7x57 or the 7-08. Or even, as scholars did quite a while before the 30-06 was developed, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check Saeed's reloading tables.
.1" groups with a 30-06. I think that works for me.

Plus, I can use the same bullets in 308 Nato rifles...
s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse, on a regular basis you need to edit the name of this thread. You know, Xtra Crispy VS Regular, 97 Octane VS 102 Octane, Cotto Salomi VS Regular Salomi, that sort of thing. Get some more mileage on it!! Just kidding, Sir.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote