New
Find
Notify
Tools

mystery shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had an experience almost thirty years ago that still has me puzzled. I shot a nice whitetail buck in the lower chest with a 170 grain Winchester Power Point slug from an 8mm at twenty yards. It ran off without leaving any blood trail and died about 100 yards away. When I examined it the exit hole had an acorn just barely protruding. I can only assume that the bullet hit an acorn the deer was in the process of swallowing and drove it almost completely through the deer. The acorn was intact and only had a slight mark on one side. Anybody else ever have something like this happen or have any guesses?

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
That's my buck! I brought it down with an acorn from my slingshot.

Seriously, maybe the deer fell on an acorn?

How could an acorn be in a deers lower chest?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thats what i'm thinking also Don; that the deer fell on the acorn.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
This it not a joke but it sounds like one:

A man on my hunting team shot at a moose some years ago The moose went down at once. The shot was almost from behind, rainy day, late in the season and some branches and bushes betwin him and the moose. I think he uses a 3006.

When he came up to the moose ans started looking for a bullet hole he could'nt find one. After gutting and slatering there where still no hole.

They skinned the head and opened the skull and found some pices of a bullet inside the mooses head!

They belived that the bullet had hit something, splinterd and that some pices had gone in throug the mooses ear!

I didn't belive this story at first, but I have spoken to the man and several that was on the team at the time and that did some buchering. Stangest thing I've heard that I think is true.

As I heard they where all happy because there where no meat vasted and no one got bad meat! Comes up when we talk about meat distruction on the team.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The deer couldn't have fallen on it hard enough to bury it in the flesh like that. It fell down under some pines where there weren't any acorns anyway. The bullet may have pierced the trachea, but I didn't do much of an autopsy.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a friend that shot a nice 8 point and he ask me to come over and take a look at it. I got there and he said ...find the bullet hole.I looked and looked and couldn't find anything.Finally he showed me.He shot the deer in the corner of the eye socket and the bullet traveled down the deers neck and then into the vitals.You had to pull the skin back to even see the hole.Darndest thing that I have ever seen.

Posts: 92 | Location: Church Hill,Tn | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote