New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 Cooper for long range deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking about selling my 300Win Sendero and 25-06 Rem.Varmint Special for a Cooper in 308.
My hunting style is to post and dispatch my deer at longer ranges as required.I definitly need consistant 1/2 accurracy to do so which I know the Cooper is capable of an the one shot capability I do not consider a limitation.
My question is would I be shooting myself in the leg ballistically or killing power wise.I dont think so but need comments from anyone who has done such.I wont define long range so as to avoid any eithical posts so will limit it to long range shots within the calibers capabilities as I firmly believe in one shot kills.

Posts: 135 | Location: N.D | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Within reason, reducing velocity won't make a cartridge less lethal, but it will make it exponentially harder to hit things at unknown range. Your ability to read wind becomes more important, and you can no longer merely estimate range, you must calculate it. The 308 will do serious long-range work in the hands of the professional who is required to use it and whose superiors train him properly. The rest of us have better choices.

Good luck.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you have the cal already and the right rifle to. Your 300 WIN Sendero does not shoot 1/2 inch groups? Do you reload? I mean do not get me wrong but a 308 will work. I know a 300 WIN Mag is very Accurate and has the extra punch for long range shots. Thats something you might want to think about.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I have a VSSF in .308 and a Cooper in 243 AI, the Rem is the easier to shoot well grouper! I find it hard to believe that your Sendero isn't up to the job. But if it's a new rifle you want, the Cooper is a wonderful rifle and the .308 is an awesome cartridge when applied with the proper discretion. Either way you can't loose...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the wakeup call fellows.After rechecking things I dont know what I was thinking.Or not.No offense to the 308 but my 270Sendero Im using at present is as good or better.Ive worked my loads down to consistant 1/2inch in this one and has served my purposes well.Wanted something with a little more punch for the big guys out there so just picked up a 300Win in the same.Havent worked with it much but good groups seem to be coming a little harder.If they made a Cooper in 300Win I would buy one today as partial to their inherent accurracy.
Meanwhile back to the reloading bench to earn my own instant gratification.
Im feeling better about caliber choice. thumb

Posts: 135 | Location: N.D | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, you still need a 308. Get a little carbine like a Remington M-7, put iron sights on it and shoot it really fast up close. It's a blast.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard