THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    A ? for all you seasoned black bear hunters out there

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A ? for all you seasoned black bear hunters out there
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,I was out groundhog hunting yesterday and while walking between 2 cornfields i noticed that in one field about 4 rows in, there was a circle of corn knocked down about a ten foot radius in size and i was wondering if deer would knock down that much corn, or am i dealing with a black bear and if it is a bear what other signs should i look for other than the obvious scat and tracks. Thanks Bill

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a crop circle! I'd look for strange visitors and flying ships rather than a bear or deer nilly

No really in my experience when a bear raids crops like corn or an apple tree they tend to crap not far from the scene of the crime and usually make several trips back to a known feed source (when talking about rich feed like corn, apples, fish runs or a carcass). Start making trips back there and see if there is more damage and if it is a bear you should find enormous piles of crap nearby.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has a green color then it's one from Mars ! rotflmo A dder or bear can easily reach up for the corn and doesn't have to knock it down.Unless it was a small bear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
While sitting in an archery stand I watched a woodchuck cut down stalks of corn, then drag the whole thing down the hole a little way. Soon there was a pile of stalks and a large circle cut down. Since they can't reach the ears, they cut the whole stalk down.
Since deer and bear can reach the ears, the damage is different. Mostly from where they walk. Deer don't leave much damage sign, only tracks and missing ears.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aliens huh, I should've known id get a smartass answer like that. they prolly look like this troll. good one though.I was just back there today and i didnt see anymore sign but i did see a doe and a fawn while i was there i managed to get some pics of them too the quality kinda suck but here they are.

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote