New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our opening day in Missouri
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had bitter cold, snowy, windy day to open deer season, 16 degrees and 20 mph wind.

My grandson, who is 12 started off by making a one shot kill on a young doe, approx. 75 yards with my old pieced together Rem in .243. I took scavenged parts (old stock and take off barrel) onto a 700 action, and came away with a good shooter, under 1MOA with 42 4350 and 100 Sierra. The doe was at a slight angle, he hit her behind the shoulder, but it came out about 6 in. back so only got one lung. She ran about 50-60 yards leaving good blood, laid down and died...in the bottom of the deepest ditch of course.

Later that afternoon, we were watching a food plot, had numerous does, and he was itching to pop another one, but I got him to settle down by asking him what he'd do if he used his tag on a doe, then a buck came out. As things happen for kids, ten minutes later the buck appeared. The deer was on my side of the stand, so he asked if he could use my rifle (my beat up, but very special 77 in 7x57) I got his breathing slowed down, and let him take a shot(he had never even fired this rifle), but apparently wasn't an issue, the buck was facing us at 174 yards, and was a bang/flop. This combination of rifle and ammo kinda has a history of such behavior, my standard 52 H414 with a 140 TTSX. I've hunted with this one from Ak to Africa, and thinking back, only shot two animals twice, a hartebeest my son hit badly when he was 14, and a whitetail that I shot at a full run, hit the first shot, required a finisher. It never needs sighted in, always shoots .6-.8 groups, it's a boring SOB.
http://i90.photobucket.com/alb...500022&1416509501341

About dark my niece (brother's daughter) scored a nice wide buck, and my brother killed the nice one below right behind the barn.
It was shot with a .25-06

Pretty good weekend.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I messed up the pictures.

Chase's buck

Hunter's buck

Stuart's

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damnation!
All are fine, fine deer!
Well done,
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'd say that's a pretty good opener. WOW!!
Congratulations to all of you.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Man:
Yes, I'd say that's a pretty good opener. WOW!!
Congratulations to all of you.

Yea, X2!

Congrats to all but especially the kids!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jstevens- Did you hunt around Gallatin for these great deer? Nice job and congratulations to you and your kin.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great job. That is what a bunch of North Mo bucks look like. Those are outstanding. What a great day for the kids and adults alike.

Looks like you had less snow than we did a couple hours south of you. The pipe in the middle is 5' tall.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pegleg

Our farm is north about an hour, along the border with Iowa.

Larry

We had about three inches of snow, looks like you have a bit more. KC had almost none.

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got him to settle down by asking him what he'd do if he used his tag on a doe, then a buck came out

He's got to be thinkin' his Grandpa is the "deer whisperer." Well done!!!

Posts: 1250 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badger Matt:
quote:
I got him to settle down by asking him what he'd do if he used his tag on a doe, then a buck came out

He's got to be thinkin' his Grandpa is the "deer whisperer." Well done!!!

He has always been a pretty serious shooter, he started when he was four, and can outshoot most men with a handgun now. His first deer was last year, one shot with a 69 grain .223 from my AR15.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice, wow! I am personally enjoying Missouri's whitetails too.

~Ann

Posts: 19281 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where do you hunt, Ann?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Great opener for you guys.

I have a lease near Queen City

My opener was a little less exciting.

Same weather....3 to 4" and then ultra cold

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really great looking bucks, really great account of the hunt. Congratulations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful "Family" album
Congrats all around

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
J,

I live east of Springfield now and hunt my own land. I have 34 acres of very private property. It's all beef ranches out here so there are few people. I've only been here a year now but just love it.

~Ann

Posts: 19281 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote