Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser R 93 vs. Weatherby MKV??
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking to buy a 300 Weatherby Mag rifle to use for elk and moose. My research has led me to deciding between the Blaser R 93 bolt rifle and the Weatherby bolt rifle. What input can you guys give me? How do each of them work? Which do you think is a better rifle? Which ones have you used? Any input you can give would be great!!

Thanks! - jatupper

Posts: 11 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The R93 is a straight-pull, switch-barrel and costs upwards of $1800. The scope mounts are proprietary, and cost $150 or more (per barrel).

The Weatherby Mk. V is a turnbolt, comes in several models, costs less, and uses inexpensive scope bases.

Both are good rifles; shoulder them both, and let your body make the decision.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Those are two very different rifles.
I have handled both and I do not like the Blazer and for the same money (more or less) I would rather get a Sako than a Weatherby.

Posts: 20 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby or Sako, whichever suits your fancy.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would take sako before weatherby.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was serously looking at the Blaser R-93. They start at 1800 dollars. You need there Scope mounts those will set you back another 250 or so. Extra Barrels are $600 each. if you change cartridge groups, they you are looking at magazines and bolt faces. On the other hand they shoot well. I didn't think it would fit the way I hunt. Buy the time you buy the rifle, add a barrel or two and scopes, you are into it for a good four thousand dollars.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To choose the Blaser, you'd have to think either of these features were advantageous enough to warrant the extra cost:

- take down for easy travel
- switch barrel for amazing flexibilty: .222 Rem -.375 H&H - or with the right stock even .416 Rem all in the same gun. Switch from one barrel to the next within 1-2 minutes. If seperate scopes are used for every barrel, you can expect POI to stay the same.
- abililty to carry the gun in total safety with a round chambered (mainspring not cocked)
- shorter - save about 2-3" length with comparable barrel lengths
- better trigger out of the box

Is it worth the extra $$$ to you?? I can't say. It was to me, and I rarely find myself hunting with anything but my R93 these days. I really appreciate the option of practicing with a small caliber in my big game rifle.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote