THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wyoming Elk Outfitter Recommendation / South Fork Outfitters

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming Elk Outfitter Recommendation / South Fork Outfitters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I now have 13 Preference points for Elk in Wyoming. I think it is time to go. Anyone have any experience with the above Outfitter?
Anyone have an Outfitter who focuses on Trophy Bull Elk in Wyoming ? Thanks.

Oh, some gear recommendations for Boots, clothes and best time to go would also be helpful.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted with them, but check out Wagonhound Outfitters. https://www.wagonhoundoutfitters.com/

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might call John Porter at Morning Creek Outfitters. I hunted my sheep with him 7-8 yrs ago. We saw elk every day. Going in we saw a 360 class bull. Talking elk hunting with him that trip he said they were averaging 340-350 on their elk. Good bulls and not a lot of wolf predation at that time. Good luck.
Bruce

Posts: 375 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I would assume you want to maximize the points you have. Based on that, I would do my homework and see what units you possibly could draw to based on last years draw and then seek the outfitter that hunts that unit. I also would consider that with some major orgs/groups beating the drum to "Burn Points" for various reasons your competition is keener than you think. There are some good bulls taken every year in the General areas but you can draw those with around 3 pts but not maximizing your points. The point game isn't what it used to be.
Look at the table that shows how many have 13 pts and above and then tags allowed.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RAR60 I don't know where to find the table. But, I bet it would make for interesting reading.

I had a nice one hour long conversation with SouthFork Outfitters last night. It would appear that the max' point totals have gone up recently and I will be needing several more points for a good chance at a top quality Bull. Unit 59-01. I believe Elk max points are now 17 ?

How cold does it get on a Northern Wyoming Man top spending the day there glassing day after day looking for the right Bull? I better have the right cold weather gear to be comfortable, while I am being patient.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
If you call Wyoming Game and Fish they can direct you to the info I've mentioned on their website. Max points goes up by one every year. An example:
even though someone might have 13 pts and max is 17. You are not only competing against the other people that have 13pts. but the ones with 14 through 17. You also have "point creep". Example:
You apply for a unit that allows 75 tags for how you want to hunt and combined 3,000 other people
with your points and above apply, it's not a slam dunk you'll draw with 13 yrs of points. I have one less than max for Deer and Antelope and have same problem you will. In Wyoming you can share your points by putting in together and taking the avg. You and some one with 7 pts could put in together and you would have 10 pts each.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Wagonhound and would recommend them. It is a fairly high priced hunt, but it is premium ranch of 300,000 acres. It would not be a bad idea to phone Dax for a chat.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I used Muddy Draw in 2017. Next door to Wagonhound for less $$$ and more elk. Not sure if they are still guiding, though.

https://www.facebook.com/muddydrawoutdoors/

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my 2023 update, after buying this years Preference points.

Sheep 19
Moose 19
Elk 14

Am I getting any closer to maximum points for the best trophy areas?
How is everyone else doing?
Anyone going to hunt a trophy area this year?

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be a bubble burster for moose after reading this.
https://rokslide.com/forums/th...rence-points.323192/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Race thanks for posting that link. It was an enlightening read. I feel after nearly 20 years of annually buying points, it is not ethical what WFG is doing.

It sounds like in the link I may be one of the guys they were talking about who buy points each year religiously and don't look how many licenses they give to NR, since I felt I am so close to max, I should be able to draw.

I think next year I will put in for the Moose draw for the first time and I will have 20 points when I do so.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold,
Did you book an elk hunt with Joe?
Son-in-law did so it looks like we're going in a month or so.

If you didn't book yet, I can let you know in November how it went.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeke, that would be much appreciated. Good luck with your hunt, I would like to read all about and see some photos as well.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
Zeke, that would be much appreciated. Goo duck with your hunt, I would like to read all about and see some photos as well.

The one thing that I liked about joe is that he doesn't do the BS 5 day hunt thing and run tons of guys through camp.

We're set for an up to 15 day hunt so a guy can settle in, enjoy the adventure and hopefully sort through some bulls. We shall see.

Yessir, I'll report back to you about the 15th of November. Bro has a desert sheep tag that ends Nov 10th so we might still be busy chasing a ram.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeke, sounds like you are living large and I will look forward to reading about how you will make out. Do you have a link for Joe's website? 15 days sounds like I could be very picky about which one I drop the hammer on. Sounds like Joe wants his customers to go home successful and happy.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I just got on Gohunt to figure it out for you.

These are units that you can draw in.
51, 54, 39, 40, 38, 41, 45, 35, 49, 48, 33, 120, 122, 23, 19, 7, 125, 11, 8, 6, 108, 118, 100, 99, 27, 25, 106, 91, 78, 61, 63, 93, 96, 117, 1, 97. I think that is all of them. This is with the parameters set on at least a 70% chance of draw and 37% chance of kill on any bull.

If we raise the trophy quality to 340 or better. The following units are left 7, 19, 100, 63, 61, 45, 54, and 51.

If you can get in next year on 51, that is what I would do.

Unless you could get in on 60, which is a general unit called the Buffalo Thorofare, or the Thorofare by anyone not originally from Wyoming pre-2000.

That might be better.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote