Find
Notify
Tools

30mm Tube Scopes for less than 700.0
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the replies on the cheap scope question. Now this is a follow-up. The locals at the gnshop often debate the merits of "cheap" 30mm tube scopes? Local Favorites include the Burris Black Diamond, Springfield Armory, and Cabela's Alaskan Guide-- My pick is the Burris BD. what do you folks think?
Good shooting
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<texas_hunter>
posted
I have to ask first here, do you know what the advantage is in using a 30mm tube? Most seem rather confused on this issue?

And I don't mean for that to sound snotty at all. I was being serious.

1'st clue is it has nothing to do with light transmission.

Tex

<Talus>
posted
HBBear, any time cheap is a qualifier, you're going backwards in the scope world. There's no need to go to exotic features, either.

How many PHs, Alaskan, Western USA, Africa, etc., use the off-the-shelf VX IIs? Lots.

How many high level rifle/BR competitors use the off-the-shelf Leupolds? Lots.

What more do you need to know? If on a budget, I would get a cheap used rifle or a Savage, but every component of the sighting system, from the bases up, would be of solid quality.

Good shooting, Talus

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Talus:

BINGO!

Your gun is only as accurate as your scope. What good is a $700 or a $7,000 gun if you use a cheap scope that cannot hold zero? And yes - "cheap scopes" are inexpensive because they are manufactured that way.

Z

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<MFH>
posted
If we're going up to $700, then I would pick a Leupold VXIII long range target. I've seen some specials below $650.

MFH

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Winchester M70 300 Win Mag wears a Leica 3.5-10x scope with a 30mm tube. I purchased it from www.swfa.com for about $600.00. Great scope, although I honestly can't tell much difference from all of my Leupold VIII's with 1 inch tubes that my other rifles wear. The major advantage to the 30mm tube is greater windage and elevation adjustment. For a hunting rifle, the greater adjustment rarely comes into play. Now if your dealing with a 1,000 yard target rifle, it is a different story.

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend OPTICS FOR THE HUNTER by John Barsness. I have found that it dispells a great deal of misinformation and marketing. Best, Matt in Virginia.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
I agree with Zero drift I save up and wait till I can buy the best scope for my needs. None of my big game scopes are leupold, they don't cut the mustard in low light, which is a good time for big game hunting. Was hunting whitetails up in maine last year with a relative, he had a leupold vari III. He spotted a deer across the field at just about dusk. He could see it with his binoc's but not with scope. I told him try my gun, which had a swaroski 2.5x10, before I could ask him if he could see the deer the shot rang out. A very nice 10 pointer. He sold the leupold and bought a swaroski. S&B ziess, swaroski worth the bucks. You cant shoot it if you cant see it.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Go to GS Custom Bullets website and in their marketplace the sell Meopta 'scopes. I have no experience with these but they are under your limit. Give them a call and ask about quality.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<alaskaman>
posted
Hi hillbillybear.
I live right down the road from you, East Tenn.
As for the scope question, I found an excellent 30mm scope if you can find one - not many available. Not too many know or have heard about this scope. A gunsmith in St. Lewis turned me on to them. It's a Tasco Titan (this is not your normal Tasco)According to the gunsmith, Tasco made this scope to compete on the Euro market. It is a 30mm tube with titanium turret and Cahales fully multi coated lenses. Back eye adjustment just like Zeiss. It was to sell for around $800 bucks but didn't go over on the Euro as well as tasco had hoped. Not many thought Tasco was worth that. They cut the price, I understand sort of a close out. If you can still find one you should be able to pick it up for around $300 to $350 (3x9x42 or 4x12x50)I found one 3 years ago and it is a great scope. After using that one my hunting partner and I have located and purchased 6 more. We've used these in all kinds of situations, Alaska, Wyoming, New Mexico - heavy rain, heavy snow, laying in mud, you name it. I have them on Weatherby 7mm's, 300 mags, 338 mags, and the 340 mags. They really are tough and hold zero great. I've had many (and still do)of the other scopes mentioned. Nikon, Burris, Baush & Lomb, Leupold, etc. The best is the Titan - clear, better light, excellent zero, weather, etc. (I've had them all out back of my place at the same time watching a 100 yd target as it gets dark - the titan won out by a good 10 min. extra time, followed by Leupold, then Nikon.
By the way all the scopes mentioned are excellent scopes - hard to go wrong but the titan is a real bargain if you luck on to one.
Good luck however you go.

<karel potyka>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Frank:
I agree with Zero drift I save up and wait till I can buy the best scope for my needs. None of my big game scopes are leupold, they don't cut the mustard in low light, which is a good time for big game hunting. Was hunting whitetails up in maine last year with a relative, he had a leupold vari III. He spotted a deer across the field at just about dusk. He could see it with his binoc's but not with scope. I told him try my gun, which had a swaroski 2.5x10, before I could ask him if he could see the deer the shot rang out. A very nice 10 pointer. He sold the leupold and bought a swaroski. S&B ziess, swaroski worth the bucks. You cant shoot it if you cant see it.

Frank,
same situation, this is why i did buy my first Schmidt&Bender 3-12x50 for my 270. Now im selling them. Most popular 3-12x50$828.00 with regular reticle. Illuminate reticle$1050.00. 1.5-5x42$685.00-regular reticle. Illuminate reticle $1008.Just email for info.on S&B scopes and price.
Karel