Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sciroccos and meat damage
 Login/Join

posted
I have not tryed this bullet on dear,but i have heard that this bullet damage meat a lot.Is this a problem with this bullet.Do anyone of you have this problem,i use 30-06 and 180gr bullet.Have try it on wet phonebooks and woodplanks,2 bullets have been recoverd,Perfect mushrooms and bullets have 94,5% and 94% Weight.But they expands very quik,Expands to full after only 0.5 inch of wood,much faster than my 125gr TNT bullet.I now i should have buy the a-frames but they was twice as ezpensive. [Confused]

Posts: 8 | Location: Norway | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Edvin,

My last experience with Sciroccos was not pleasing. I shot a mule deer buck at 100 yards broadside in the lungs and it blew up inside. I was using my 7mm with the 150 gr. Scirocco. I did not get an exit hole and the bullet blew up into four different pieces. The internal damage was extensive, but it was contained in the vital region where I guess, I just expect there to be some damage. Looking at the way it grenaded, I would expect that any other area (front shoulder) or anything else would result in significant meat damage. Some people have had good success with them, I personally am moving on to a different bullet, with heavier construction.

If you are determined to stay with a polymer tip, you might try the Nosler Accubond. I have heard good things on game and they shoot well through my 338 RUM but I have not tried them on game.

Good Luck,

-Autumn Pulse

Posts: 33 | Location: WA State | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry too much about using them in the '06, especially the 180 grainers. At that speed they function well. At magnum speeds they can peel back too far or fragment. Shooting into wet paper and wood will generally not give you the same results as shooting into an animal will.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen three larger deer shot with 150gr sciroccos out of a 7mmremmag.Bullet performance was very good with good penetration and very little wasted meat.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a mule deer with my 7 mm Rem mag, 150 grain scirocco and bullet performance was excellent. The bullet entered the ribcage about 5 inches from the shoulder, exited the shoulder on the other side with minimal meat damage. My impression of the scirocco is it is a much better bullet than some give it credit for. It is definately superior to Nosler Ballistic tips, and with Swift claiming about 85% retention in weight, that isnt bad for a deer bullet. When bullets start hitting heavy bones, alot of unusual things can happen. For those that want a bullet to mushroom well, and loose alot of energy in the animal, yet stay together enough to exit the other side, I believe the scirocco does that.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The bullet with 94,5% Weight had gone tru 7 inch of wood and 11 inch of wet paper and that is not bad,And the bullet have only expand to the half of its lenght so it could have hit harder things without problems. [Roll Eyes] This was at 100 yards so i dont think it had more than 2600fps,and i dont think I should make them go faster.I can take a 0.1 inch steel after the wood and see what happens then. [Cool]

Posts: 8 | Location: Norway | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I goofed, Swift claims about 80% weight retention, and I believe Nosler is claiming about 60-70% wt retention with their new Accubond. I am sitting here thinking I like the higher weight retention on the scirocco if in fact it is a reasonable comparison between the two bullets, the Accubond and the scirocco. In my 7mag on mule deer, I think I am sticking with the scirocco for now, but in my 240 wby, it will be partitions, and x bullets, if they pan out.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote