New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Scope $300-$500 range
 Login/Join

<Sniper>
posted
Trying to weed through the masses of scopes and pick one for the 257 Weatherby soon to be finished by Pac-Nor. What would ya'll recommend in this range and why? I was looking at the new Zeiss Conquest but have not heard a whole lot about them yet. I would prefer as a minimum 3x9x40mm.

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a leupold Vari-X III of whatever power you're looking for. I've bought and used a number of the bigger and more expensive foreign scopes(Nightforce, Swarovski, and Schmidt and Bender) and continually come back to the Leupold as the scope to beat. I've been told by those who should know that the Zeiss Conquest is a good scope, as is the Weaver, however, the Leupold is a sure thing in my book. FWIW. Matt.

[This message has been edited by Matt in Virginia (edited 09-19-2001).]

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Kahles 3X9

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushnell (Bausch & Lomb) Elite 4200 2.5-10x

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I am a huge Leupold fan, but take a long hard look at the new Zeiss Conquest. One feature that no-one seems to mention is that the Zeiss has a longer tube length. I think that it makes a cleaner mount on longer actions. The mounts won't overhang the area that you load the bullets in.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Jeff S>
posted
I have been a longtime Leupold fan...Own something like six or seven Vari-X IIIs of various flavors. Just recently bought a Zeiss Conquest in 3.5-10 X 44mm. Cost was $499. It is an awesome piece of glass!!!
Clear as a Z series scope from Europe. It has German made lenses and components (which are technically the exact same coatings and finish but for copyright reasons cannot be referred to with the same trademarked names here in the US) The scope has the same eye relief throughout its power settings. It looks good too. Leupold has some catching up to do here... If it proves as durable as my other German made Zeiss I'm a convert...

<gone hunting>
posted
my vote for alround best scope under $500 is the Leupold 4.5x14x40 about $470.
great glass and a vary usable zoom range.

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I would suggest a Burris of whatever power

<Sniper>
posted
Thanks for the replies...keep em' coming!

How about a Nikon Monarch 4x12x40AO?

[This message has been edited by Sniper (edited 09-20-2001).]

<allen day>
posted
My choice would be a Leupold Var-X III 4.5-14X.

Allen

<cyberhick>
posted
Cabela's Alaskan Guide Series optics are real nice. I looked at them once and were very impressed. The only thing that impressed me more was Swarovski.

cyberhick

<Patrick>
posted
I too own several Leupolds, but recently, just wanting to try something new, bought a 2.5 Weaver for an old Brno 9.3 and yesterday ordered a 3.5x10 Bushnell for a new custom 6.5 Hawk. One of the catalog companies had the 4200 series Bushnells for $100 off, $299 for mine. The 2.5 is great, no complaints, especially for what? 150 bucks, I have high hopes for the top of the line Bushnell, will report my reaction when I receive it in the next week or two. good shooting

<daveinmt>
posted
I bought a new Burris Fullfield II 4.5 - 14 recently. I have had the chance to compare it with my Leupold 4.5-14 and 6.4-20s, and have to say, I think the Burris is clearer and brighter. It may be a bit heavier, but I was truly impressed by this scope. It only set me back about $325 clams too...

daveinmt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own only Leupolds as they have served me well for about 50 years or so...

Depending on use as to power, but I will say that on a hunting rifle, I don't want any scope without a stright 20MM tube so the Leupold 1x4 or 1.5x5 has been my standby..Big scopes knock off zero to easy for me and the rough use my scopes and rifles get on Safari and horseback...the less tube exposed out the end the more reliable a scope is..Try smacking a 40 or 50mm obj smartly with your hand sometime just after sighting it in...
This is the no. 1 problem we encounter on Safari and pack in hunts, guns out of POI and wounded animals...
I can see a deer or an elk in a 5X scope at 1000 yds well enough to take the shot, but I won't...400 on elk/deer is about my limit..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray on this one. A straight tube smaller than 40 or 50mm doesn't get in the way. That big "bell" is the first thing to put pressure on the tube if you drop the rifle or something like that.

I have had a 2.5-8x32 Leupold Vary-X III on my .338 Magnum for a few years now. If you have hunted in Alaska you already know rifle scopes may take some abuse, and at times it may be necessary to send it to the shop for repairs. As you may know, sundown during moose season happens around 9:00 to 10:00 PM (mid September). I have killed moose at 9:30 PM, where I could clearly see through the scope, and to a higher degree than trying to see without the scope.

If it is too dark outside, moose and bears are going to see you long before you can. Besides, if you can't see in the dark and don't know an animal is nearby, you are not going to use the scope to "see" if anything out there is waiting for you to shoot. It is not legal in Alaska to hunt aided by artificial light and other night vision enhancing means. One could hunt in the night aided by moonlight, but again you are limited to what you can see with your own eyes, and you will make so much noise walking that moose or bears are not going to stand there waiting for you.

What I mean to say is this: A good quality scope such as a Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x32 (or a 1.75E-6x) allows you to hunt late in the evening, and early in the morning. Night hunting is not legal in most states; it is legal in Alaska as I explained above, but it is much easier to hunt during the day.

Also, if I damage my scope I can send it to Leupold for repairs and have it back within a week. Can you do the same with European scopes? Some European scopes allow you to see a little clearly than Leupold or Burris scopes, but I can't tell nor need the difference for my type of hunting. The way I feel about it: I want a reliable F-150 truck to take my there; a Ferrari could take me there, but it is safer at home in the garage.

Burris scopes are very nice, but since I haven't had but excellent service from Leupold I "stick" to them.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
It seems that the new rifle will be used for long range hunting. So consider how you are going to do the range estimation. Some scopes have range finders and others do not.

A separate laser range finder might be better but you may not have it with you when you need it.

I have never knocked a scope out of alignment. But I won't get on a horse either. I like the power of the 3 X 9's and one of my scopes is a L 3.5-10 and they have a range finder.

<Sniper>
posted
Thanks for all the info. The Burris FF2 4.5x14x44mm sounds really good for my needs and this rifle. Thanks again!

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have Nikon's on my serious hunting rifles, junk on the "under a hun-ert yards" deer rifles. cheapie Bushnells and an old redfield.
If I were shopping I would look at Nikon and Leupold first.

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i took a zeiss conquest 3.5x 10x44 out of the case and looked through it damn that thing was clears as a bell and i looked through it at dusk not in the light when all scopes look pretty good, damn good price

<SlimL>
posted
A Leupold of course! I have never had a problem with them. I have one on my Mod 03-A3 in .308, my Mod 70 in 30-06, and my Encore in .257 Roberts. Slim

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of difference between a $300 and a $500 dollar scope.

A Zeiss Conquest would be my $400 choice, or maybe a Var III 2.8-8 or 3.5-10.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BillC>
posted
Leupold VariXIII. I have two 3.5-10's and a 2.5-8. Their warranty is unbelievable and the eye relief and clarity is hard to beat. Oh yeah, it's made in the USA!

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Get a Cabellas catalog and compare features. NOBODY even comes close to the eye relief of a leupold. I think that bushnell may be on to something good with their "rainguard" for cold weather hunting though.

Posts: 10139 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
anybody that wants to come to the gun store with me come on we will take a new conquest 3.5x10 x44 and a vari-x 3 3.5 x 10 x50 out around a beanfield around 7.20 pm this afternoon and i will show you which one is the best, i have leupuld sightron and b&l on my scopes an it doesn't matter what kind of coat they have they are not clearer than the zeiss conquest, i could support any scope i wanted all the reps want you to have their scopes on your rifles

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
The Zeiss Conquest matches the eye relief and it doesn't change with the power settings like the Leupold.

<DuaneinND>
posted
B&L Elite 4200 2.5-10

<Delta Hunter>
posted
I bought a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 earlier this year and so far I love it. It sits atop my .300 Weatherby. I've owned several Leupold VX-III's (and still do) and in my opinion this new Zeiss beats them hands down. It's brighter, sharper, clearer and simply easier to use. You can't touch it for the price.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbob:
The Zeiss Conquest matches the eye relief and it doesn't change with the power settings like the Leupold.

Not trying to knock the Zeiss but according to cabellas (which isnt nessesarily gospel) the conquest eye relief is 3.5, the Leupolds are 4.7 to 3.7. If thats correct then that means eaysier target aquisition on lower settings.

Posts: 10139 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Robin>
posted
Take a look at Weaver's Grand Slams.. I have a 3.5-10. It has quick focus and a very clear view.

------------------
Robin
from Tucson, AZ

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
West, I have a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5x14 40mm on a 30-06 Supergrade and a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10 on an identical 30-06 Supergrade. The eye relief does not vary as much as what is written in Cabellas. I really can't tell the difference except for the fact that the Leupold changes as the power is adjusted.

<Sniper>
posted
Made my decision

Weaver Grand Slam 4.5x14x40mm!

18 days until the rifle is finished!

<Bill>
posted
I love the Zeiss and like the Leupold. I own a grand slam that I hate, it has been demoted to the 22 I shoot offhand at 50 feet indoors. Sorry I ever spent the money.

<JoeR>
posted
Westrnhuntr, the 3-9 Conquest has a constant 4" eye relief.

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
Made my decision

Weaver Grand Slam 4.5x14x40mm!

I have one on my .375 H&H Magnum, and a 6.5-20x on my .280 Ackley Improved. "ALL" things considered, I'm happy. I'm putting another 6.5-20x on my .338 RUM when it's done, since the ballistics are the same as my .280 AI.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Burris Fullfield II or Signature in whatever power you want.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ziess conquest

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well you picked the Grand Slam, but I would have (and did) pick the Zeiss Conquest.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Well, you've picked, but the best in that price range is no doubt the Nikon Monarch. When you consider ALL critical optical areas, the Monarch is, by far, the best.

I depend on good glass to make my living, so optics are something I can assess in a logical and unbiased manner.

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
Leupold Vari X III

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sightron II better optics than a Leupold, and better eye relief, at less $$.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote