Find
Notify
Tools

Goats and the 25/06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
Never shot anything but deer with 25/06 but I like the idea of how light my little A-bolt is compared to my 7mag Ruger.

Goats from my experience are like elk in the way that the seem pretty shock proof and they will absorb alot of energy and still manage to find that cliff 70yrd away. My deer load in the 25/06 is pushing a 100gr. Partition but it also likes the 100gr XLC. It shoots those bullets sub moa. I also have a load that pushes the 115gr Partion and although it not sub moa, it gets about 1 1/2" at 100.

Has anyone whacked goats with their 25/06? I wouldnt mind using the 100gr XLC but I want to make sure it opens enough and kills as quick as lightning. On the other hand a softer bullet might not penatrate through the shoulders at longer ranges.

I'm leaning towards the 7 but thought I'd throw that out there.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed my first mountain goat with the 257wby mag and 100gr partitions.The shot broke both front shoulders and anchored the billy on the spot.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I have heard goats are tough too. I've heard of one just shrugging off a 300 Win with 180 gr. Hornadys. I think they are far from bullet proof though.

If I were you, I'd take the 25-06, as I'd much prefer the lighter rifle. Load the 100 gr. XLC's to about 3300 fps, and it should really smoke a goat out to 300 yards or more. Place your shot to the shoulder/spine, try to break him down on the spot.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I'd use a 25-06 with the X bullets, no problem. [Wink]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Today at the range I was thinking the same thing when my 100gr XLC groups were touching. And in comparison to my 75gr. Vmax loads, they were zeroed exactly the same. I don't have a chrono but I am surprised that they are as flat.

The other thing to think about is the high numbers of griz in the skeena alpine. Oh who cares. Not like I have anything better when I bow hunt there. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boilerroom -The fact that your 100gr loads have the same point of impact as you 75gr loads does not mean that they are as flat shooting.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Your right. They just cross line of sight at 100yrds. I'm sighted in on bulls eye for these loads. Tomorrow I'll see first hand where they compare at 300 and further. I have to take my portable target stand to the power lines down the road because my range is only 100yrds Max.

Wrong choice of words. [Embarrassed]

[ 06-30-2003, 08:33: Message edited by: boilerroom ]

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I did some 315 yrd shooting today and those XLC's were actually hitting one inch higher then the Vmax's. I wish I had access to a chrono to see how fast they are flying. They are dropping just under 8" at just over 300yrds so I should be able to figure it out from the manual.

I shot a five shot group of each and nine out of ten made a saucer size group. We'll call the one the barrel fouler. I was shooting prone and using my day pack as a rest. It was fairly windy so it pretty much was a typical goat scenario. The target was alot easier to pack out though. [Big Grin]