Find
Notify
Tools

rattled up a buck this morning
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

I was fortunate enough to take this buck early today using a Monster Bucks rattle box and a custom grunt call made by a friend in South Carolina. I used a TC Encore with a 28" PH barrel in .308 WCF. The load: a 150 grain Sierra Pro Hunter ahead of 48.5 grains of Varget. Range: 165 yards, and the buck folded on the spot with a double-lung impact.

For Lavaca County, this is a nice buck -- and my best from this particular county. They generally don't get quite that nice around here.

With me are our twins Grady (center) and Andy, who turned 5 earlier this week.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff Bobby. Great to see you and your kids out there--I love it!

Congrats--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I like the antler coloration. Is that common in your area?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The coloration is not that common. They generally have a lighter tone -- sometimes with a hint of yellow depending on what trees they've been working.

Here is another view of the buck showing the mass, both of antlers and body:

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the extra picture. That is a nice deer. Congratulations.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
That is a "record" deer for that area!!

Congrats Bobby!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I love stories like this, no matter how often they are told. Keep them coming!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Bobby, Congratulations and well done. I love the eye guards and the overall shape of the rack.

PS:
Are you sure that's enough Varget behind the 150???

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Actually, in the generous chamber of the Encore, 48.5 still gives slight sooting on the neck..but the acuracy is exceptional at that level.

The load is directly out of the Nosler manual (though with a Sierra bullet).

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of JTL 7mm
posted Hide Post
Hey great deer. I can't wait to get out this year and get me some fresh venison.

HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS!

Posts: 28 | Location: Texas | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent Lavaca county buck Bobby. Congratulations!

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is a dandy congrats

Posts: 60 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: 09 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking deer, and good looking family. Congratulations!

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1534 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Nice buck Bobby; thanks for sharing! Congratulations!

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

GREAT Buck!!! Kudos on the kill.
Love that pix with you and the kids!!!! thumb

Don

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great buck for Lavaca county... we have a couple of ranches in and around the Ezzell and Hope communities! I really believe the 13" rule has finally taught folks that they can have good bucks in the Post Oaks if they let 'em age! Congrats again!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I like the 13" regulation, and I've seen the difference. Of course, some in the area are clueless and couldn't tell the difference between a 10 and 20 inch spread if their life depended on it. But when the warden writes tickets, they seem to learn a little quicker... Big Grin

There were a couple of individuals I strongly reminded recently as there are some nice 2.5 year-olds that are already 8-pointers with good tine length but are only 12 to 12.5" wide.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice deer and great story. Gotta love getting out there with the boys. Problem is soon you won't get to hunt anymore. Be to busy loading bullets for the twins! dancing

MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
MM-

You are right. Our oldest is 16, and I can't keep him supplied with ammo. And with Christmas coming up, I keep getting "anonymous" e-mails from him from various gunbroker auctions... Big Grin

He has an affliction for heavy-barreled varminters, 6.5x55 Swedes, Contenders -- and lately, it seems a P-22 has his interest. At this rate, I'm going to have to win the lottery to keep three boys happy with ammo and guns... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ