THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    An accessory handgun for a rifle hunter

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An accessory handgun for a rifle hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this has been touched in some of the hunting rags over the past few years but obviously the info. didn�t stick. (which the spouse says is a common occurrence).

I am a rifleman, some would say rifle loony. I have shot handguns over the years but Have never owned one. Well I think it is time to broaden the horizons.

Do you rifle big game hunters ever pack a handgun with you on your hunt? What are some instances in which you actually used the handgun? What is your recommendation for caliber and type? What I envision this purchase to be is a compromise small handgun for the field when I am rifle hunting and a weapon for personal protection.

What should I buy?

Thanks.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One rather funny use for a handgun I have heard several times is for those who occasionally take a nap in there tree stand and wake up to find a deer directly below there stand.
Due to the orientation of the stand/tree and the deer they would not be able to shoulder the rifle and line it up with the deer, however would be able to obtain a good sight alignment with a pistol.
This situation requires a handgun capable of taking a deer size critter at close range.

Another use some have for a handgun is a finishing shot. They arrive at the deer after shooting it with a rifle to find it still alive. Shooting a deer at close range (less than 10 ft.) with a rifle can cause some unintended results such as excessive meat loss. A small pistol or revolver such as a .22 to the head is sometimes used for such shots.

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I am looking at the 4" taurus tracker 45 colt for the same purpose.

I used to have a ruger blackhawk 41 mag that I would take while rifle hunting. I put a finishing shot into a moose with it.

Also if I get within range I will use the handgun to take my game with instead of the rifle. < !--color-->

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Just about anytime I am out in the hinderlands away from the house I pack a handgun. Not just when I am hunting. If you are looking to do a finishing shot at close range or discourage a 2 leg predator the previous advice on a .357 is right on. I also carry a 9mm SigSauer. Works good for this. If you want to maybe hunt with it in some place like thick timber & blow downs where it is a royal pain in the neck carrying a rifle I would recommend a .41 mag min.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My answer on this one is "it depends", on where and what you need to defend your self againest. Two legged critters/bad guys, 45 ACP (1911A1) or 40 SW or 9mm semi auto (first 2 advised with premium expanding bullets). Coup degrace (SP) on injured but needs finishing hunting shot game, the preceding plus 38 special and 22 LR. In BIG bear country or very large game (NA only) 44 mag. and bigger. A possible thought would be a short barreled 44 mag. revolver but using 44 special ammo, except when testy grizzlies might be stumbled upon, then nothing is TOO DAMN big. But the big guns weigh more and you'll be packin it around to have it there if you ever need it. Another compromise would be a 357 mag, again with the best bullets money can buy. But if doing a finishing shot on a trophy deer your liable to loose the whole rack :-( that is if you forget to reload it with 38 specials.

Hope that helps.

Roi (whose has never forgotten being treed be a grizzely)

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I used to keep .44mag with me on moosehunting.Reason because I hunt near the Russian border,where also the highest bear population takes place.We have had some minor troubles with bear/hunter,few yrs ago one hunter was killed.Another time hunter was vounded seriously ewen he shot twise the bear with 308.Anyway I kept my Ruger super redhawk .44 with me.My favorite "moosemachine" is Sako 3006,fullstock carbine,which is wery handy in the bush.Now during the winter I sold my .44 away,I bought one Cz 550 in .375HH as I partisipate in bearhunt also,sofar no takedowns. ...Anyway because our gunlaws etc,I dont carry handgun with me anymore, I have one .45LC,but consider it weak.
If you carry an revolver with you for selfprotection against bearattac,my advise is is .44 or bigger,reloaded to maximum you can handle.Ewerything happends really fast,you should practise to shoot fast and accurately to mooving target on wery close range.Its not so easy,try it and prepare yourself for really fast action.I used to keep a huntingknife teipped to my left leg also,it is better than nothing in close combat.Inspite of theese efforts you need lot of luck,take this seriously.

Elias

Posts: 45 | Location: Finland | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a Smith 329. A light weight 44 mag. I load light loads in it. I purchased it for a finishing shot at close range. I haven't had to use it, but it's light enough to not be a bother!

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob257- That is exactly the gun I was thinking of when I saw this thread. I didn't take a hand gun with me the last two deer season, but last yeart I was tent camping not far from a rather large(appearently female) cougar's home area, namely the creek near my tent. I ended up sleeping a couple of nights with my guide gun near by, but it's way to much to deal with in a hurry. The 329PD would be perfect. So it rapidly headed to the top of my wish list. How do you like shooting yours? Any quality issues you've had to deal with?

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote