THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Is The 120 Grain Ballistic Tip Ok For White Tail Deer In The 6.5X55

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is The 120 Grain Ballistic Tip Ok For White Tail Deer In The 6.5X55
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
Would like to know how you people feel the 120 grain Ballistic Tip would be on white tail deer in the 6.5X55. Thanks for any info.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, or the .260 Remington, 6.5 Remington, .264 Winchester, or any other 6.5 bore cartride you can think of. The ballistic tip hunting bullets are tailored to whitetails.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes! For whitetail, it is the bullet of choice for me. I use it in my 6.5x55, 6.5x284 and 6.5-06AI. In these cartridges, I prefer it to the 140 grain bullets. It just seems to knock them in the dirt.

------------------
Larry

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I have no game experience with the Ball tip 120 gr. I have used the 120 gr Solid Base on a number of hunts with impressive rewsults. I feel that the 120 gr is a perfect match in the Swede. I can get 2950f/s from my Reminton with MOA accuracy.

BR

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love teh 6.5X55! I've not used BT's on deer (and will not) due to some negative comments I've read, but I've used Nosler's (125 gr) Reminton Core-lokt and Barnes bullets with great results on hogs and deer. IMHO BT's might have a problem with blowing up if they hit bones. especially in large deer

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used 150 BTs in my .280 rem with such good success that this year I am loading my sons Ruger 77 6.5x55 with 120 BTs. I am crossing my fingers on this one.

------------------
Endeavor to Persevere

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oddball,
I do not think you need to cross your fingers at all.
I have used the 120gr Bal. Tip. in my singleshot 6.5x65R and their performance on our red deer has been superb. I have also found them to be extremely accurate in my particular rifle and the confidence this facts provides, adds on its performance.
When I caress the trigger I know where that bullet will go.
Regards,
Montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As we like to take the shoulder shot we use the 125gr Partition in our 6.5x55's. 13 deer in 2 years can't be wrong.

------------------
Mark
http://communities.msn.com/20012002HuntingSeasoninAlabama/homepage

[This message has been edited by mark65x55 (edited 04-27-2002).]

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you load your 30 cal. and under BT's to high velocities.....yes, 2900+ in your Swed is a high velocity, you run the very real risk of them expanding far too quickly on med and large deer. I shoot BT's in mt Contender single shot pistols, loaded at around 2300-2400 fps and they work great...some even exit. My bullets are moving somewhere around 2000-2200 fps at impact. For your 2900 fps starting speed...that's WAY out there. I'd load up something like the Partitions or SST's for that gun if I were you. You are not going to always have a perfect shot. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot approx 50 fallow up to 150lbs ready for the larder with this bullet and the 100gr version out of my 6.5x55 at ranges from 40yards to 180yds.Velocities 2,800/2,850fps for the 120 and slightly higher for the 100.

Excellent accuracy, good expansion, penetration through and through on all broadside shots but not on 100% facing.

Answer IMHO a perfect compromise bullet. There appears to be very little difference in performance between the 120 and the 100.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
Yeah, I've just got back from a trip away. Both the 120gn Ballistic Tips and 129gn Hornady Interlocks are excellent prjectiles in the 6.5x55.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on what kind of whitetail. The whitetail around here run 100-150 lbs. and the 120 would be fine for them, but if it was for those big bruisers up north, 200 lbs. and up, I would go with a heavier bullet. Just my thoughts.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote