Find
Notify
Tools

Best flashlight/torch
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Mikes deer finding thread has me thinking about flashlights. What are the best small flashlights out there?

I was carrying an old dual mode LED Surefire…but it has “mysteriously” disappeared.

Looking for a non-rechargeable small light with a super bright spotlight mode and a lower powered general lighting mode. The old Surefire was fine…just used up batteries fast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36870 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lane, I've gone from Surefire to Fenix. Check out the Fenix PD35. 1000 lumens on down. It is a LED and uses far less juice than the Surefires. Reasonable prices too.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought several different Fenix lights at DSC. Some are headlamps while others are handheld. Thus far, they have been most impressive.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Lane, I've gone from Surefire to Fenix. Check out the Fenix PD35. 1000 lumens on down. It is a LED and uses far less juice than the Surefires. Reasonable prices too.

Thank you kindly…just ordered one. Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36870 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Fenix - I bought some of them.

I also have 5.11 tactical flashlights that use d and aa batteries.

My issue with fenix has been they get hot after a while.

I also will use a wide beam floodlight that Costco sells for work projects. This should throw off a massive bright light over a short distance to pick up blood trails.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Larry is correct.

Fenix are great, so are Nitecore!

Surfire are just plain rubbish compared to these.

We used to use Surefire all the time, then got fed up with them running the batteries down, even when off!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67474 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me add one more comment. I purchased one that was quite bright. I believe it was 4000 lumens. I used it for a grand total of about 15 seconds. It was BRIGHT! One night I went to really use it. It did not work. We sent it back. Fenix sent me a brand new light. No questions asked. Quickly too!

Some of the batteries are not the cheapest nor the easiest to find for the really powerful models.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Mikes deer finding thread has me thinking about flashlights. What are the best small flashlights out there?

I was carrying an old dual mode LED Surefire…but it has “mysteriously” disappeared.

Looking for a non-rechargeable small light with a super bright spotlight mode and a lower powered general lighting mode. The old Surefire was fine…just used up batteries fast.

Lane:

Just read this again. They have a head lamp that is adjustable. The spot is extremely bright. It adjusts downward to a more side angle that uses less power as I understand it. I absolutely love mine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best flashlight is the one that actually has good batteries when you need it!

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Fenix again, USB charger style. Fantastic lights.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I bought the 4000 lumen Fenix after not finding a pig one night. Brighter than the headlights on my Jeep. But don't let it switch on accidentally -- it melted the top off the holster. It is heavier than what you are looking for and uses rechargeable batteries. But for making day out of night when needed, it is the best I have. And the brightness is adjustable.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
This flashlight has been on the job since 2012 and it gets very rough treatment.

It has outlasted lights costing nearly 10x as much and given a chance I'd buy several just to put away for later.

I won't make the mistake of buying an expensive light ever again.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Maybe ultraviolet for nighttime tracking?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14442 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
For night time blood spoor I am really tempted to buy one of the lower-end thermal units. I am not sure how much I believe the colored or UV lights work, but I am prepared to be convinced. But fresh blood or better an animal down in 100 yards might be easier to spot with a small thermal.

I could be talking out of my ass since I haven't tried it. In fact, I should just be quiet...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
For night time blood spoor I am really tempted to buy one of the lower-end thermal units. I am not sure how much I believe the colored or UV lights work, but I am prepared to be convinced. But fresh blood or better an animal down in 100 yards might be easier to spot with a small thermal.

I could be talking out of my ass since I haven't tried it. In fact, I should just be quiet...

Does not work in swamps. Too many fallen limbs.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using a Olight S1 Baton for couple of years now and love it.
You can run it on CR 123 disposable or there are two options for rechargeable one of which has a direct micro USB port for charging. Very compact with a pocket clip that doubles to go on the bill of your hat for hands-free use.
They make a similar model that runs on AA batteries as well.

A friend of mine gave me Emsher rechargeable light. It’s small enough to fit in your pocket and is variable intensity from moonlight brightness up to bright enough to burn the retinas out of a coons in the tallest oak around here.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Fenix

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:

I have not tried UV either, it's something I read about. I mostly hunt sage flats and haven't done any tracking to speak of since late 1970s.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14442 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I noticed you can get a 20% off coupon and free 3 day shipping with Fenix if you sign up for their promotions. That's awesome.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Fenix...Also check out Malkoff Devices!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Fenix to me. I bought a PD35 2 month ago. Great. I bought also at that Fenix distributor, a headband to use with that PD35 and the other PD of similar size. Great!!! I have now a headlamp of 1000 lumens, just in case!

PH