Cougars continue to move east
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
From this morning's New York Times:

OPINION
GUEST ESSAY

Cougars Are Heading East. We Should Welcome Them.
Jan. 12, 2023, 5:00 a.m. ET
4 MIN READ

A cougar peeks out from a cavity in a rock wall.
Credit...John Burcham for The New York Times

By Mark Elbroch

Dr. Elbroch is the director of the puma program at Panthera, a nonprofit group focused on protecting the world’s wild cats and the ecosystems they inhabit, and the author of “The Cougar Conundrum.”

Sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter Get expert analysis of the news and a guide to the big ideas shaping the world every weekday morning. Get it sent to your inbox.
Numerous cougar sightings were reported east of the Mississippi River last fall, encounters that have become more frequent in recent years. A trail camera glimpsed one in northern Minnesota, for instance, while authorities captured another in Springfield, Ill., after it had made its way there from Nebraska. Yet another was fatally struck by a car on I-88 west of Chicago.

Cougars once had the run of the continent, ranging far and wide. But they were virtually eliminated in the Eastern United States by the early 1900s (except for a small population that survives in Florida), victims of bounty hunting and habitat loss. In recent decades, their numbers in the Western United States, where they were also once targeted for eradication, have rebounded, and now these big cats, also known as mountain lions, panthers and pumas, are slowly moving east.

Newly published research by me and 12 colleagues has pinpointed over a dozen landscapes large enough to sustain cougars indefinitely in states that border or are east of the Mississippi. Their return would most likely result in healthier forests, safer roadways, less zoonotic disease and, in turn, healthier human communities.

This will all depend, of course, on whether we can learn to coexist with these top-tier carnivores. As a scientist who has studied these cats for years, I’m confident that we can. But it will require planning that must begin now, new state policies, public outreach, and education and support from the public for a creature that was once purposefully pushed toward oblivion.

Our team of researchers explored the habitat potential for cougars using factors important for cougar survival, like forest cover, distance to development and highways, human population density and how people perceive wildlife. Our research, which was published online last week in the journal Biodiversity and Conservation, shows there is plenty of room for them.

Results revealed 17 areas in the Upper Midwest, Ozarks, Appalachia and New England, each at least or nearly twice the size of Yosemite National Park, that fit the bill. Of these, 13 had enough space to support long-term cougar populations. Another study separate from ours showed similar results.

Wary of humans, cougars feed mainly on deer and smaller prey. The risk of a cougar attack — on people or domestic animals — is extremely low, and almost zero with pragmatic precautions. Fewer than two dozen people have been killed by cougars in North America in the past 100 years. (Males range in size from 120 to 180 pounds, depending on where they live; females are much smaller, ranging from 70 to 110 pounds.) Scientists estimate a recolonization of the Eastern United States by cougars could reduce deer-vehicle collisions by 22 percent over 30 years, averting 21,400 human injuries, 155 human fatalities and over $2 billion in costs. The return of cougars to South Dakota in the 1990s, for example, reduced costs of deer-vehicle collisions by an estimated $1.1 million annually.

We now know that large carnivores greatly benefit entire ecosystems and hold those ecosystems together. Cougars interact with nearly 500 species, from elk to beetles. Evidence suggests these cats help control chronic wasting disease among deer and other wildlife diseases.

Coexisting with cougars will require education around perceived versus actual threats, what benefits the cats bring and how to be around them safely. This is especially important for people living on the front lines of a cougar comeback, like rural ranchers and small-livestock owners.

Eastern states must adopt policies that protect cougar habitats and address broader implications of living alongside these cats so that ones like those spotted in Illinois and Minnesota have somewhere to land. In part, this means state wildlife plans with protections that list the species as endangered, threatened or of greatest conservation need until their numbers are sufficient to reduce these protections.

Addressing the legitimate concerns of communities sharing habitat with cougars will help to ensure the successful, long-term existence of the species in the Eastern United States.

It took nearly 20 years for cougars to expand eastward across just 100 miles of human-dominated landscape between the Black Hills of South Dakota and the Pine Ridge area of Nebraska. Without actively reintroducing cougars in the East, it could take decades for the cats to do it themselves.

We could wait for the cats to make their way east or we could choose to support the cougars’ return by re-establishing them there, a prospect I never thought would be possible during my formative years as a scientist tramping through New England forests. Our research, however, points to areas in the Northeast that would support self-sustaining populations. These places are characterized by lower livestock densities than other areas we identified and are complemented by local people who view wildlife as more than a resource to be exploited.

However we proceed, these big cats are on their way back to their Eastern haunts. Midwest sightings are increasing, with hundreds of cougars spotted east of established populations over the past three decades. These trailblazers are often young males like the “Connecticut Cat,” which traveled 1,700 miles from the Black Hills of South Dakota to the Northeast in search of unclaimed territory and a mate. Females will follow more slowly, so we are unlikely to see frolicking cougar kittens in the East anytime soon.

Our new research offers reason for optimism that these big cats will have places to live when they return. There is still ample space for them to thrive in the East. We should take steps now to secure their future.

Mark Elbroch is the director of the puma program at Panthera, a nonprofit group focused on protecting the world’s wild cats and the ecosystems they inhabit, and the author “The Cougar Conundrum.”

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of tripe. Lions will, like everything else, move to where the low hanging fruit is. To populated areas and feed on pets and livestock.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, when the lefty/animal huggers banned hound hunting in Oregon, we lost a vital cougar management tool that was irreplaceable. As predicted, it was not long after that we started hearing tearful reports of “my cocker spaniel in the mouth of a mountain lion.” One of them even killed a female jogger on a trail between metro Portland and Mount Hood.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Ann, when the lefty/animal huggers banned hound hunting in Oregon, we lost a vital cougar management tool that was irreplaceable. As predicted, it was not long after that we started hearing tearful reports of “my cocker spaniel in the mouth of a mountain lion.” One of them even killed a female jogger on a trail between metro Portland and Mount Hood.

This^^^ 100%.

I'm certainly not anti-apex predators but we do need proper STATE/local management tools to check their populations when they get out of hand. This fact escapes the animal rights groups.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they can have the one that will be wandering my neighborhood here in about 6 weeks.

probably catching it over by the old folks home will be the easiest.

there's 2 more I can show them where to catch also, so the trip won't be a loss.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
They have been in Maine a long time though the state will not recognize them.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
What a bunch of tripe. Lions will, like everything else, move to where the low hanging fruit is.
To populated areas and feed on pets and livestock.

And maybe, a few of those big eastern coyotes...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14382 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of that B movie "Wolfen". One can only hope they start with the politicians

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, They are really moving east. I had one move in two doors down from me and there are young guys hangin' around all the time! Big Grin

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Owning property and spending most my time in extreme north central Pa. I have seen cougars twice in the past 10 years. When reported to the Pa. Game Comm. they an several internet trolls fall back on the claim, "there are no cougars or evidence of them in Pa.", BULL SHIT I know what I have seen they look just like the one mounted in my den and were not large bobcats,dogs,etc. as explained away by the above. I needed no photo evidence to tell me what I saw an see no reason a small population of them could not survive in the remote game rich areas here like in western states

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:

I live in NH and I've heard that forever......funny not one single trail cam photo among the 10s of thousands of them in both states. Bobcats otoh are everywhere but the misguided idiots managed to convince the state not to open a season.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 248 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
Owning property and spending most my time in extreme north central Pa. I have seen cougars twice in the past 10 years. When reported to the Pa. Game Comm. they an several internet trolls fall back on the claim, "there are no cougars or evidence of them in Pa.", BULL SHIT I know what I have seen they look just like the one mounted in my den and were not large bobcats,dogs,etc. as explained away by the above. I needed no photo evidence to tell me what I saw an see no reason a small population of them could not survive in the remote game rich areas here like in western states
I saw one in the late 90's bear hunting in Potter County. Pa has had them for years. Like you, I know exactly what I am seeing.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JamesStambough
posted Hide Post
I saw a cougar in the woods in Mingo county West Virginia in 1989 while four wheeling with a hunting friend. It crossed the road in front of us about 50 yards away. 19 year old me had never seen one before but the size of this animal, length of its tail, and the way it moved didn’t leave any doubt in my mind or my friend’s. No other animal moves like a cat and this definitely was a cat. Several years ago an acquaintance took a cell phone pic near dark of one on a reclaimed strip mine in Pike county Kentucky. I get spooked at times trying to call coyotes from the thought of getting hit from behind by a big cat and I’m always keeping my back against a tree or large rock to limit that possibly. Hopefully it would be sufficient but I don’t know enough about them to be certain. Neither stare acknowledges them being present that I’m aware of, WV lists them as being totally protected. I can’t imagine the chit storm that would happen if you had to shoot one to keep it off you.

Posts: 31 | Location: Eastern Kentucky  | Registered: 11 February 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m aware of, WV lists them as being totally protected.

I would ask the local wardens if Wis. doesn't have any.

Why are they protected.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JamesStambough
posted Hide Post
Honestly don’t know why, I remember eagles, elk, and several other species fell into their “totally protected” categories. I haven’t hunted WV in over a decade and things might have changed some. Sunday hunting only became legal recently so I can’t say what updates have happened.

Posts: 31 | Location: Eastern Kentucky  | Registered: 11 February 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Yeah, They are really moving east. I had one move in two doors down from me and there are young guys hangin' around all the time! Big Grin

Hip

I married one...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14382 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JamesStambough:
I saw a cougar in the woods in Mingo county West Virginia in 1989 while four wheeling with a hunting friend. It crossed the road in front of us about 50 yards away. 19 year old me had never seen one before but the size of this animal, length of its tail, and the way it moved didn’t leave any doubt in my mind or my friend’s. No other animal moves like a cat and this definitely was a cat. Several years ago an acquaintance took a cell phone pic near dark of one on a reclaimed strip mine in Pike county Kentucky. I get spooked at times trying to call coyotes from the thought of getting hit from behind by a big cat and I’m always keeping my back against a tree or large rock to limit that possibly. Hopefully it would be sufficient but I don’t know enough about them to be certain. Neither stare acknowledges them being present that I’m aware of, WV lists them as being totally protected. I can’t imagine the chit storm that would happen if you had to shoot one to keep it off you.
Well the only place I call coyotes these days is the farm in Greenup County , Kentucky right across the river from West by God Virginia. If a cougar came in on me, it would probably get both barrels of 00 buck from my 10ga. that I hunt coyotes with calling. Then the body would get buried on the mountain SSS. I am positive my cousin and uncle would be overjoyed the cattle were safer.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
I saw one in the late 90's bear hunting in Potter County. Pa has had them for years. Like you, I know exactly what I am seeing.

that is where I've seen them"

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The deer collision section of the article is essentially advocating the elimination of deer hunting opportunities by reducing the deer herd by 40% or more.

It’s a back door anti hunting play.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:

Hip

I married one...

luls!

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Mt. Lion, Cougar, Puma, all the same cat will spend his natural life time making a 125 mile, give or take circle and kill every third day, In some areas he never returns to a kill, in other areas such as cold country with lots of snow and elk bedding areas the will return to a kill or so Ive been told..Many of those so called returns are wolf fox etc..They do not migrate..HOwever some are transplanted by citizens for various reasons..WE had ranchers transplanted black bear to ranchers illegally, most folks liked the idea, wanting to establish a huntable herd, and it seems to have worked in certain areas..

Most Lions spotted in such areas are coyotes, Ive trapped and shot many Lions on my Big Bend ranches, my dad and uncle were considered Lion experts and bounty hunters..

when I moved to Idaho, I traded some lion hides for elk tooth rings at a Taxidermist shop. 4 game wardens showed up at my office with a warrant for my arrest for poaching..My first question to them was can you tell an alley cat from a Persian cat...Those are desert lions killed on my Texas ranch, after a call to the game warden in Alpine Texas David Cook, he told them the last time he had checked my deep freeze I had maybe 50 or a 200 frozen cat hides and that they should be able to see that by the amount of fur on Northern cats...They accepted that and all was well, and we parted friends..

Its a wonderful world.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Credible evidence of Mt Lions has been a popular thing to deny by Eastern states over the past few decades.
Through the product of a misspent youth bumming about the country hound hunting and trapping, I've been witness to lion sightings in NY, VT, NH, MI and MO from the 80's to present. I've gone as far as to submit droppings I collected for DNA analysis and they were simply discarded by the state officials. I treed one in NY in the 80's and had my friend drive to town and call DEC to have someone come out to verify while I staled with my dogs. They were "Too busy to send someone" that day and told Mel they would have someone get in touch with me in a couple days, knowing I was in the woods with my hounds keeping it treed.

I welcome their population expansion as it will give me some more entertainment treeing them and releasing them from coyote traps. They'll also be a source of revenue for me when the damage complaints start rolling in.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
Credible evidence of Mt Lions has been a popular thing to deny by Eastern states over the past few decades.
Through the product of a misspent youth bumming about the country hound hunting and trapping, I've been witness to lion sightings in NY, VT, NH, MI and MO from the 80's to present. I've gone as far as to submit droppings I collected for DNA analysis and they were simply discarded by the state officials. I treed one in NY in the 80's and had my friend drive to town and call DEC to have someone come out to verify while I staled with my dogs. They were "Too busy to send someone" that day and told Mel they would have someone get in touch with me in a couple days, knowing I was in the woods with my hounds keeping it treed.

I welcome their population expansion as it will give me some more entertainment treeing them and releasing them from coyote traps. They'll also be a source of revenue for me when the damage complaints start rolling in.

Back in 2008 or 09, I helped a buddy release a medium size female from a coyote trap here in Pa. ,I was amazed at her strength fighting the catch pole. I have released black bears a few times but pound for pound she could whip their ass in a fight! We took video and stills of her in the foothold an I hand carried them into the Game Commission office in Harrisburg, Pa. along with hair samples. They flatly denied it was a cougar suggested it was a large bobcat (weighed about 70#) wouldn't submit hair for DNA saying," we don't have money to test everything anyone wants tested" snubbing me off! But let some guy kill a opossum out and they'll spend $10,000 to do testing on that carcass!
They're here at least on occasion, all the PGC accomplishment by denying it is to have sportsmen question everything else they claim!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
There never was a bobcat that weighed 70 lbs and never will be! Perhaps a Lynx, but not a bobcat, I know! every ones seen a 70 lb bobat and a 50 lb Javalina!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree a 70lb bob cat is unrealistic.

I have seen two just over 50lbs Both weighed one was 50.5 the other 52.

One was trapped, the other shot over hounds. They seemed huge compared to the normal 20 to 30 pound ones.

Lynx appear bigger but I do not think they get heaver.

According to the net 11lbs to 37lbs on the average.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe 11 to 35 is realistic, and 15 to 20 is average and the southern south west and Sonora desert cats are smaller as are the Lions, coyotes, and wolves..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:

I believe I saw one in the early morning hours on the way home from work. I also believe that the I saw the tracks of one. Would have thought lynx, but there were signs of a tail being dragged in the snow.
Maine will not recognize them, if they did it would mean closing habitat area.

---------------------------------

We unfortunately will vote our way into socialism.
The end result will be having to shoot our way out of it.

Posts: 382 | Location: Aroostook County, Maine | Registered: 09 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mtn lions are a very rare thing to see out here at least. Dad hunted over 80 years in lion country and never saw one in his life. His younger brother did once. I've hunted where they've been seen over 50 years and never seen one.

Funny thing, I have a new friend that lives 6 miles west of I-25 on the Ludlow Road between Trinidad and Walsenburg CO. He has been there 8 years and never seen one in person during his daily 4-7 mile walks on the deer trails where he has 16 trail cams scattered around his hilltop section with lots of mule deer around and in the yard nearly every day.

Yet he has HUNDREDSs of lion pictures on his cams in the same area. One clear sunny day in about a foot of fresh snow there were FOUR cats in one picture all coming toward the camera. One less than 10 feet from it. No doubt momma and three nearly grown cubs out on a deer hunt.

He has shared at least a dozen pictures with me of both lions and bears in his yard. One cat stood with front feet on the porch deck looking around and got it's picture taken doing so.

His hunting area #85 last year had a lion kill of 34 during last years cat season. Yes, he goes armed while outside and on his walks.

Sure is strange that he hasn't seen one in 8 years when there's so many around all the time.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I live in Colorado Springs bordering Cheyenne Mtn AFB and I see them a lot. Have to shoo them away to get to my mailbox once in awhile lol

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck:

Those are house pets up there.
Many generations of those cats.
Some were around in the early 60's when I lived in the Spgs.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have had 2 1/2 sightings in the last few years here in our (not so little anymore) community. One was after a neighbor's ducks in the barn, another was after another neighbor's goats, + the last was just finding pug marks in the Elementary School playground. The last one was kinda spooky.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
What a bunch of tripe. Lions will, like everything else, move to where the low hanging fruit is. To populated areas and feed on pets and livestock.

Bad Bear in Italy...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bea...nimal-141304706.html

TomP