New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Shooting running Deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
my deer this year was a trotting broadside deer, 50yds in the woods. One shot, good windage, probably 2 inches lower than I wanted, but, one shot did it. Never aimed for a second try. I was more frazzled by trying to confirm 4 points on one tine to conform with our new local laws. Never did see the brow tine, just had to assume it was there based on the size of the rest of the antler and the deer itself.

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Almost all of my deer hunts are from stationary ground or elevated blinds and I had always prided myself on the super few number of missed shots in the 40 years of collecting vension in Texas. But about 20 years ago I got my comeuppance when I was qualifying for a Moose License in Finland. If every hunter I know had to shoot to qualify for a license we would be so overrun with critters that the season in Texas would be open year round with no limits! The moose target I shot at was moving at 40km on a track with a life size target, shot at 100meters - we shot in a light rain from the headlights of a car at 9 to 11pm - and the minimum score was 3 kill shots in 5 try's or something like that- I think they may have fudged for us with some practice shots for a group of hunters from all over the world who had never seen anything like this setup given the time of night and weather It is hard to make these kind of shots at anything in hundreds of yards but the experience brought some humility to me even though I did not take shot during the three day hunt...and I started hunting rabbits again only with a 22 bolt action instead of a shotgun like I did when I was a kid... or rolling a 50 round paper 22 carton around shooting offhand at 50 to 100 yards for practice out at the deer lease. Hunt like this everyday...yes!.. with some practice even my "sit on their butts" fellow Texans would get rid of their Sendero'ed 6x18's and pick up a thutty thutty again! But it is more fun to HUNT that way on running game instead of just being a sniper in a box. BTDT...and would do it again. The next year I embarrassed a guide who vented on me for refusing a 500+ yard shot on a monster white tail...for over two miles...all the way back to the truck yap yap yap about not being capable of taking the shot on a standing deer at that distance. A poor unfortuneate jack rabbit went screaming across a pear cactus flat about 150 yards in front of us and the guide sez Nah nah nah cain't hit s### until he picked up the jack that the SAKO 7mg had perfectly centered and skinned without breaking a bone ...even the back strap was untouched and I offered to let him eat it as I had "saved" it for him that nite when he told the story in camp about seeing the monster..LOL!... Practice does make perfect!
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote