THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Translation question for our German speaking members

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Translation question for our German speaking members
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sorry for the off topic post, but I ran across a hunting related German word that I'm not able to find a reasonable translation for.

Could someone describe what "Waidmannsheil" translates to?

Thanks,
Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is the traditional greeting and wishing phrase among hunters: "hunter's hail".

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano,

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was instructed in Namibia that the proper response to another's "Weidmansheil", was "Weidmansdank" if you were successful, and "Weidmansheil" if you were not successful.

I was spending NewYear's in Vienna, and returning to the hotel with my family one evening, I saw a Austrian hunter, properly outfitted in traditional attire, getting out of his car and entering his apartment building. I greeted him across the street (the alley)with "Weidmansheil", and immediately got a smile and a hearty, "Weidmansdank." It was a wonderful moment for we band of brothers. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ku-dude:
I was spending NewYear's in Vienna, and returning to the hotel with my family one evening, I saw a Austrian hunter, properly outfitted in traditional attire, getting out of his car and entering his apartment building. I greeted him across the street (the alley)with "Weidmansheil", and immediately got a smile and a hearty, "Weidmansdank." It was a wonderful moment for we band of brothers. Ku-dude

And dead wrong, for that. It is hammered into German novice hunters (during their exam preparation or apprenticeship) that "Weidmannsheil" may only be responded to with "Weidmannsdank" if the former is a well-wishing or congratulation. Examples: "was f�r ein starker Kronenhirsch - Weidmannsheil !" or "So, auf Gams soll es gehen ? Na dann w�nsche ich Weidmannsheil !"

If however used as a greeting - as in your example, and as is indeed the most common case -, it must always be responded to with the commensurate "Weidmannsheil" and never with "Weidmannsdank".

Best regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Artemis>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Ku-dude:
I was instructed in Namibia that the proper response to another's "Weidmansheil", was "Weidmansdank" if you were successful, and "Weidmansheil" if you were not successful.

Ku-Dude ,
"Weidmannsheil" can have various meanings and it is not always answered with "Weidmannsdank" .
"Weidmannsheil" can mean : hi , hello , nice to see you , when hunters meet , the second hunter would answer "Weidmannsheil" himself .
It also means : "Good luck" , when a hunter goes out hunting and , when he leaves , a friend says "Weidmannsheil" .
Last , but not least it means "Congratulations" for a kill and ONLY THEN the other hunter answers "Weidmannsdank" , as it means " Thank you " !

one of us
posted Hide Post
If a hunter is greeted by a non hunter with "Waidmannsheil" e.g. starting a trip, he may answer with "Waidmannsdank".

The usual greeting procedure between hunters is "Waidmannsheil" from both parties.

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote