New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going on my first elk hunt.I have a .375 H&H and my buddy says I should handload sierra matchkings backwards and that will give me 4 feet of penatration. Is this on the level or is he yanking my chain? [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Loading jacketed bullets backwards is often called a "poor man's solid". It would probably be illegal, as most states require that "expanding type" bullets be used for game animals. Besides, solids do not generally produce the large wound channels that soft points do.

You should get plenty of penetration with a premium soft point anyway. Swift A-Frame, Barnes X, Nosler Partition, Woodleighs, etc. in the 260 and up weight would be my choice.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this on the level or is he yanking my chain?
He's yanking on something.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uh Huh. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think he must have read a bit too much Capstick.

Use a 300gr. Hornady, Nosler Partition, or Swift A-Frame and you'll get all the penetration you need.

BTW, a .375H&H is usually pretty heavy to hump up and down rough terrain for long; have you considered using a .338 instead?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Trooper,
He is yanking your chain big time. If I can make a recommendation I would tell you to go get some Barnes X bullets in either the 235 gr or 250 gr and load them in your .375. I shoot a .375 and I load the 235 gr uncoated but they are getting hard to find because Barnes has discontiued them. If you use the X bullets you must start with an ABOLUTELY CLEAN bore and clean it every 10 to 15 shots. The X bullets are solid copper and they are softer than typical jacketing metal. Henceforth more copper fouling. I am so pleased with their performance that I probably will not shot anything else for big game. Penetration with the X bullet is unreal.

Good Luck,

[ 01-31-2003, 01:57: Message edited by: WyoJoe ]

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
More internet BS...

<Guy>
posted
Folks, this Trooper clown is a troll from the politics forum. Ignore what IT says.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The last time I seated bullets backwards was for use in my .308 Win. on jackrabbits 40 years ago. It worked but was a pain in the ass to feed.

Seating bullets backwards for big game??? Your buddy is a dumb-ass. Don't be caught dead going hunting with a guy like that, or you will deserve the label as well.

Posts: 13812 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of such foolishness [Confused]

Look in any reloading manual such as Nosler or Speer and load the bullet they recommend for elk.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote