Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Big Horn permit goes for $102K
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted
I wish I had the money to make a "charitable" contribution like this!
Each year Texas, like a few other states, has an auction for a permit to hunt big horn sheep. The money goes into the sheep program and is badly needed. The sheep heard is doing prety well due to the cash.
This year $102,000.00 took the permit!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell thats a bargain,arizona auctioned one off back in the early 1990's that went for 309,000.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Montana's usually are right around $200K.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I hope that the sucess rate on these huntes are in the same percentage as the cost of the permits. The hunt on a golden sheep [Big Grin]

It's down right silly , I hope the sheeps gets all the cash and not some damn politicain

/ JOHAN

[ 06-17-2003, 22:58: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
As I understand it all these state auction tags do go toward the species being auctioned. Here in Colorado the bighorn sheep tag usually goes around 90k I believe. Almost all the money goes to the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Society (an offshoot of the larger FNAWS). RMBS uses the money to finance habitat improvement, buying of domestic sheep allotments and anything else to improve the futue of bighorns. I am sure the same or similar programs exist in other states.

Usually it is all about rich folks getting a trophy chance and a tax deduction at the same time, but in the long run it is the sheep that win.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The guy that bought the 309,000 dollar tag,has also bought other tags for 50,000 and never even hunted on these cheaper tags. Arizona claimed some of the money went to sheep,in the form of water tanks in the desert mountains. They also stated that they bought pick ups with some of the money.

The guys last name is fletcher and for the most part he's a self made millionaire. The top managers in his company get a free antelope/elk/deer combo hunt every year,and he pays for everything including taxidermy.

[ 06-18-2003, 03:02: Message edited by: RMK ]

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More power to them I guess. I certainly will not ever be hunting them at that price. It is not a matter of even being affordable. It goes into the realm of ridiculous.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A fellow from Arizona bid 1 Million US, thats right a one with six zeroes after it, for an Alberta Provincial park permit for a Canadian Big Horn permit at a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation auction a few years ago....he won. If ya got it I can't think of a better place to put it God bless these people and their unselfessness they show, since many animals and people can enjoy the good graces of some, if only more people will step up to the plate....I do my part but to a much lesser scale.

[ 06-18-2003, 05:02: Message edited by: raamw ]

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to keep in mind that these are in essence donations by those that can afford it and would donate the money somewhere anyhow, hence they really aren't rediculous. One guy that bought one for about $200 K in Montana a few years ago didn't kill a sheep and turned around and bought the next years tag for about the same money--got a sheep the second time. He wanted only a ball buster and just didn't find what he wanted the first year. As long as the number of tags sold in this manner is kept to a minimum and doesn't really effect the number of available tags to draw for for us common folk, it is a good thing for the sheep.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah i wish i had there money! A fellow by the name of Sherwin Scott bought the Alberta Minister Bighorn tag a while back, not sure what it cost but well into the 6 figures, didnt get a sheep. Passed several possible 200 inchers. Bought the same tag the next year, bagged one that went 205+. He was trying for a sheep they thought would be the world record.

If anybody is interested in seeing these hunts its on the video Bighorn Rams III.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That guy has done it at least twice, and I believe he did get the world record ram. Another year I believe he got the #2 or #3 ram.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Arts, Stupid me!
Im sitting here thinkng that was the only way to get a tag was the auction. Now I understand. In that case it is a good thing.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read an article about a guy paying $430 K plus for a Desert Bighorn tag. This chap is a very wealthy oil man and hunts mountain game worldwide.
I understand these donations are tax deductable and they do help the sheep herds. This guy didn't shoot a sheep, didn't see one he wanted. Must be nice to have that kind of money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys, just come over Aussie and you can shoot all the mountain goats you want for nothing.
ADrian [Wink] [Wink]

Posts: 50 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I wish I could think like that. Spending that kind of dough, and not even pull the trigger on a legal ram. Those folks inhabit a different financial plane than I do..... But, here in Idaho, the money is put back into the sheep program, so it's a good thing.

Maybe we'll get enough sheep so I'll draw one in my lifetime...... Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote