New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What bolt guns do you like?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For me I like the winchester model 70, all of them,but you really have to look'em over to make sure you are getting a good one, like all the other gun makers the quality control is not where it should to be.

Posts: 71 | Location: north pole , alaska | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Mauser, and more specifically, if you can find one, a pristine 1909 Aregentine Action with any accurate barrel for the heavy rifle, and a G33-40 with the original 8mm barrel cut to 20 inches for the light woods rifle.

posted Hide Post
1st. sako
2nd. sako
3rd. poss. rem. 700

Posts: 75 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only like the accurate ones!

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like cz 550's, Rugers (reliable & functional) and win m70's but I do not own one yet. Rems if I have to

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cz m550 american (improted by cz-usa)
zastava mauser (now imported by charles daly...NICE rifles)
sako/tikka
remingon m700

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None!

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My favorite rifles are lever actions but bolt guns certainly have their appeal for me also. My list is as follows:

1. Winchester model 70 classic--I really like the way these rifles look and feel. I know the pre-64 and especially the pre-WWII model 70's are highly revered (same thing happens with Win lever guns), but I ain't paying the prices I see on them for no freakin bolt gun.

2. Sako Finnbear--What a finely made gun these were! The company seems to be immune to the pro-American sentiment I see leveled on the web at other non-U.S. manufactured rifles. The current Sakos just can't measure up to the Finnbears but now I sound like I'm discussing model 70's.

3. Arisaka T-38--If you want a Jap bolt action, forget the Mirokus and Howas and go for the original. The 6.5mm round has been largely overlooked in this country, but the .260 Remington and the 6.5's current popularity in long-distance target shooting may be changing that a bit. If I were to have a custom bolt gun built, I'd have it done on the Arisaka action.

4. Savage 110--Excellent design cheaply executed. Imagine this gun manufactured by Savage on double or triple their current budget.

5. Ruger M77 II--Decent rifle that needs some aftermarket work (don't they all anymore?). Can't beat the price and they look good in a plain-Jane kind of way.

6. Remington model 700--I want to hate these. I want to take that rifle snob stance on these guns but they look great to me and shoulder so nice. Wood to metal fit on the newer ones does seem to suck a bit. They sure get bashed on the internet. Every one I've shot has been dang near Savage accurate.

7. CZ 550 American--I picked it up, held it for a few minutes, put it back on the rack. That's all I'll say about them.

one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Bighorn-

You put the CZ back on the shelf and would keep an Ariaka?

First time I've ever seen that!! grin:

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's not a Muaser 98, it's crap!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pre-war M70's (bought my '06 for $600, 300H&H for $800).
M98 Mauser custom sporters.
<End of List>

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

None!

Something vexes thee?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pre 64 MDL 70
deer .264 FW
elk 300HH
varmints 243 FW

one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Steyr
2. Sako
3. Dakota

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of current mass production I like none of them, but tolorate the Savage as it works as stated for the money asked.

Of the bolts I have, my favoriate is an orginal M98 WWI war trophy that has been redone.

Action lapped and trued
Barrel removed and replaced with Custom match grade
Trigger replaced with timmy and adjusted to 3.3 lbs
Shroud and safety replaced with Winchester 3 posistion type
Magizine follower chamffered to allow closing bolt with empty magizine well
Bolt bent and contoured for scope mounting
Synthenic stock with pillar and glass bedding
Replaced orginal firing pin and spring to decrease lock time
Drill and tap reciever for scope mounting
Floor plate release lengthend to work with fingers

Other wise it is an orginal M98

BTW it shoots greats and never fails to function.

Posts: 25 | Location: Reeders, PA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Ruger Model 77 stainless all weather they are Ford tough.I also like Weatherby Accumarks its almost a custom gun and shoots like a bench rest gun.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Mauser 98
Remington 700
Winchester pre 64

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote