Find
Notify
Tools

Which Caliber?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
A friend of mine has decided to buy a Winchester model 94 Legacy 24" lever action for deer in NY He asked me which caliber would be best a .30/30 winchester or a .44 magnum. I told him both wood work but could not honestly tell him which was the better. He hunts an area similar to mine where shots under 50yds would be the norm with 100yds a max shot. Which of the two would you guys reccommend

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
If he's going to be shooting out to 100 yds even seldomly, I would say tell him to buy the 30-30. Not only that the 30-30 is just a better deer cartridge. I'm guessing he'll be hunting deer?

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me or anyone else....How many Deer/Elk/Bear the 30-30 has killed before the super dooper mags when the hunt was for meat for the family.....Lots.I still have friends that kill Elk "Every" year with the 30-30.

My pick would be the 30-30.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-30 wouldbe more versatile if he does not own many rifles.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30-30 will shoot circles around the 44 mag. which to my mind is just a pistol cartridge.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
30-30, I just wish they still made the .375Win.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out to 100 yards, I would be happy with either. The longer rifle barrels can make the 44 Magnum a good close range rifle. If he would only have one rifle though then the 30-30 would be a bit more versitile.

Posts: 37 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30-30 well give him a bit more reach it is good out to 200. But under 100 both well do just fine.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
30-30 for sure.

No matter how many rifles I manage to aquire, my little Marlin 30-30 seems to make it to the woods on several occasions every year and she still lays em' down like she always has.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I think caliber and cartridge often get used as synonyms when, in fact, they are words meaning two different things.

Caliber: as in- your .308 Winchester is .308 or .30 caliber (bullet diameter)

Cartridge: as in- your favourite .308 or .30 caliber cartridge is a .308 Winchester

one of us
posted Hide Post
As much as I like the .44 Mag in a levergun I'd have to give the nod to the 30-30 for someone who wants an all-around timber rifle for deer, especially beyond about 75 yards. I'd suggest he use 170gr bullets and he'll have no trouble.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post another vote for the 30/30Winchester, but at under 100yards with a 50yards average, both will be doing a good job.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I have to agree the 30-30 would be the logical choice. I used to have a Marlin 336 in 30-30 that shot so sweet that I regret giving it up. Thought I was moving to Alaska a couple of years ago, so had to get down to one gun safe. Damn that hurt!

But, bought a Marlin 1894PG in 44 mag this year and put a Williams FP peep on it and 3 shots were touching at 100 yards, so the 44 ain't no slouch either. And the 44 240gr. XTP drops deer hard.

After seeing the accuracy of the Marlin 1894, I say flip a coin.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaycocreek:
Can anyone tell me or anyone else....How many Deer/Elk/Bear the 30-30 has killed before the super dooper mags when the hunt was for meat for the family.....Lots.I still have friends that kill Elk "Every" year with the 30-30.

Jayco

Do those same guys drive a horse and buggy instead of a car?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jaycocreek:

Jayco

Do those same guys drive a horse and buggy instead of a car?

No, they probably just don't see a practical need for a Jaguar when the Taurus will get you there. Not a slam on magnums, just an observation on different uses.

The 30-30 should do nicely.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest neither the 30-30 nor the .44 magnum. For that matter the 94 Win was never a good design either.

Today there are modern rifles that will outperform the subjects.

That happened lever action rifle wise in 1895 with the Savage. Cartridge wise with the 7mm Mauser and that was in the 19th century as well.

Of course for easy shots the 94 type rifles are better than a sharp stick but not as useful as your 12 ga.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote