New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo(bison) Anatomy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been looking for an anatomy chart for an American Bison and have come up empty handed. anyone by chance know where I can find one. I even tried the library and failed. Thanks for any help folks.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
From it's description, Craig Boddington's book The Perfect Shot, North America includes the bison in its anatomical renderings.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also contact either the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources or the Yukon Territory or Custer State Park SD game departments. Each of these locales offer free roaming bison hunts and will be able to fax you the diagram that they hand out to people coming up there to hunt. Internal anatomy on these critters is unique and worthy of researching before you go hunting them.

Best of luck,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the only thing I could find, hope it helps a ilttle.

http://www.thbison.com/faq.shtml#aim

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot my bison low in the chest in what you would call the armpit. He was perfectly broadside and the bulley cut the arteries above the heart. I used a 450 Marlin and factory ammo and it dropped him pretty quick. Bison are kind of impervious to bullets. They don't show uch reaction and take a couple minutes to topple over. When I shot mine in Montana, the ranch hand that was with me didn't want to put another round in him. He said that would make it run off and if I just left it, the bull would drop from the chest shot a few minutes later. He was right in all counts. He also told me the ranch hands use a .223 with solids to cull a few yearlings for meat every year. He said they shot them right at the base of the ear at a broadside angle. I guesss it would work, but I'd rather have a little more gun.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have a buddy heading out for a buffalo hunt and he's taking his long bow. I was trying to help him put that broadhead in the best place. The link posted above with the picture was what he needed. Thanks again and good hunting to you all.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote