Find
Notify
Tools

Longest shot with....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Iron sights!
What do you consider your maximum range with the various types and what game have you taken with them?
Hoping to tap into the lever action community especially but any action will do..

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I used to shoot competition at 1000 yards with iron sights.

At that range the bull had to be about 40 inches across to give an aimimg point.

I think the practical limit on hunting range with iron sights is the same as with a scope - somewher around 300 yards depending on conditions, rifle, shooter skills and game presentation.

Most of my shots (both scope and iron) have been inside 100 yards.

Don

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
1000 yards with open sites just blows my mind!! I always figured only Quigley could do that kinda stuff. [Wink]

My personal hunting maximum with standard open sights is about 200. I just can't hit the 8" gong at the range everytime at 300, so I wouldn't try it in the field.

[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am confident at 200 yds with irons and if I have a good rest I would take a 300 yd. shot maybe, depending on time of day and circumstances.

I killed a wounded deer last year at 300 plus yards with an iron sighted 25-35 Win and it went down at the shot with a 117 gr. FN in the lungs. Shot was made off hand and I missed the first shot, compensated and got him the second shot. He was wounded by a 270 at about 150 yds. by a hunting partner who is a fine shot by the way.

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<mindcrime>
posted
The longest shot I've ever witnessed with iron sights was made at about.......100 yards. It was an incredible shot made by my little brother when he was about 11 years old. One-hundred yards, you say!?! Yep, that's a far piece for a Crossman 10 pump BB rifle. He even called the shot on the specific bird on the power line that he was aiming at. Head shot too. Tumbled right off the line!!! My dad and I stood there in astonishment. Oops, this is the "Big Game Hunting" forum, well I guess that a Robin really is "Big Game" from a BB gun's perspective. I posted this as a laugh for you all, BUT it DID really, honest-to-God happen!!!! [Eek!]

[ 06-24-2002, 09:44: Message edited by: mindcrime ]

<jd_1>
posted
193 yards Lasered last season with a marlin lever action .375 Win. (7-Point Whitetail). The bullet punched through both shoulders. I was standing resting on the side of a tree.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ALL BULLSHIT ASIDE!!!! WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE LIKE RAY!! BUT OUT TO 200YDS IF ITS 10" IN DIAMETER IN A THREE GUN MATCH I CAN HIT IT

<Dice2>
posted
I shot 500 yards a couple of times with some other military people at the time. Most of the time it was a KD range thing and max was 350 yards with an M1-Grand (30-06)military issued rifle. My eyes were a lot better then too!

one of us
Picture of TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
500 meters on a Marine KD course. At that range the front sight post appears wider than the bull.

On game, for me about 75 yards. I grew up hunting mainly a shotgun only area and we sighted at 75 with slugs. Since then I have mounted scopes on most of my rifles prefering to rely on the irons for backup.

One of my leverguns has a scope, the other a peep, but where I sit you can't shoot more than 75-100yds anyway.

Good Luck,
Bob

Posts: 361 | Location: Stevens Point, WI, USA | Registered: 20 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Heres an iorn sight shot story for ya.
The bolt lock was broken on my deadly scoped 7mm Weatherby so I borrowed my dads Mauser in 300 sav. to finish hunting. Im thinking now that the gun has been re-barreled and so you need to know how to use the sights because the adjustment is maxed out, but if you aim it just so its right on the money. Well, I made the switch first thing in the morning and went out with no time to put a couple rounds through it, I thought I understood how he told me to aim but I was wrong.
Naturally I saw a nice buck giving me a beautiful broadside shot about 75 yards away right smack in a clear spot in the bushes that morning. I fired, saw the shot hit the ground right exactly beneath him as he jumped straight up in the air (its kind of funny to think about it now, must have scared the shit out of the poor bugger but I sure wasnt happy then.. [Mad] [Big Grin] ) as he took of with one bounce and was gone gone into the thick forest.

That was the "closest" iorn sight shot I ever "missed".. [Embarrassed] Now I take two guns with me..

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
14 years old, 30-30. 275 yards I thought I would try to hit "that bird" over there.

I hit it in the neck.

100% pure luck. That gun shot 5" groups at 100 yds.

[ 06-29-2002, 22:26: Message edited by: Buffalobwana ]

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6X45 that's basically a 200-yard gun for medium game with either peep sights or a smallish scope. There are also a 7mm magnum and a 6mm-284 set up with bigger scopes for longer distances. With either of those, a 300-yard shot from a fanny pack is pretty simple stuff if the wind is not blowing too much. I know they're good for longer distances but I've gotten more sneaky in my old age and don't often need to shoot further.

Tom

Posts: 14624 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
My longest shot was on a whitetail buck. I was using a Mod. 94 30-30. He was about 175 yards. I would say that would be about my maximum range. Maybe up to 200 depending on the light etc. I hunted several years with that rifle and an iron sighted 300 Savage.
I shot over a couple of deer, early in the morning, taking too coarse of a bead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What are iron sights? [Big Grin]

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Iron sights are sights made from iron as opposed to sights that also have silicon in them.

I shot a crow with my Woodsman in Maine once at maybe 200 yards. I used to practice with that gun a lot. My buddy shot a Blackhawk in .44 Mag. and we had a long running competition going.

It is much easier to hit things with a .22.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
I've regularly hit 10 for 10 bullseye at 500 meters with both M16A1 and M16A2. Firing Prone with a loop sling it is not too hard if the wind is favorable. The Bullseye is a torso size and shape.

The only big game I've killed with iron sights was about 30 yards away, with a Ruger Super Blackhawk.

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin29:
It is much easier to hit things with a .22.

I'd agree with that. I picked up my friend's .22 and hit a crow at about 120 yards offhand. I couldn't believe I hit it since I'd never fired his rifle before.

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote