New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accubond vs Elk Shoulder ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Whats the verdict on the Accubond ? Is it more Ballistic Tip or more Partition ? Is the Accubond being marketed as an elk and moose type bullet ? I'm a die hard Partition fan but I like to experiment with new things. Plus the white polymer tip is pretty.......... Smiler

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BighornBreath,

.375 H&H - 260 Grain Accubond

Look at the size of the Elk’s neck, you can see the entrance hole, the bullet scattered the spine and exited - full penetration. Animal dropped, like struck by the hammer of Thor.

The elk’s neck was a massive chunk of muscle and bone, because of the angel the bullet crossed diagonal throughout the middle of the neck, the measured distance of penetration 23.4 inch and a 2 inch exit hole.

Roland

One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
I shot a big Mountain caribou bull with a 200 grain Accubond in the Yukon last Fall. The shot was 175 yards from my .300 Wby loaded to 3060 fps at the muzzle. The Accubond penetrated both shoulders and I found it under the hide on the off side. The resulting mushroom weighs 116 grains or 58% of its original weight.

I later shot an elk in Wyoming at 50 yards with the same rifle and load. The bullet was found against the ribs on the far side and weighed 108 grains, or 54% of its starting weight.

In general, I have had better penetration with the 200 grain Partition. I have only had two that failed to leave an exit wound on 16 animals ranging from Mule deer to Canadian moose. However, the Accubond has a better BC and the tips don't deform in the magazine. Based on this experience, I wouldn't use .30 cal Accubonds on anything larger than an elk. But that's just my personal preference.

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
I am an accubond fan, but the tips will flatten. I have a .300 rum sako that I load just below my magazine OAL. Strapping the rifle to the truck and driving around for 30 miles over harsh terrain jiggles the rounds around a little. They come out with the tips pressed in. Just the very tip flattens a few mm's, and it stays that way. Not a big deal I don't think. One day I'm going to take those bullets to the range and see if it affects accuracy, but I doubt it will. Probably changes the BC a little I would think. I need to learn how to post pictures and I could show you. Maybe someday.... Smiler I shot a 180 grain accubond into five 2"thick dry phone books at 200 yards. It penetrated all five, hit the tree they were resting against and fell to the gound. Weight after was 106 grains, or 59%. Perfect mushroom.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Browning A-Bolt in .300 Winchester Magnum. My pet load is the 200 grain version of the Nosler Accubond propelled by 80.5 grains of H1000 for a mv of 3000 fps. I was fortunate to have a couple of real on game experiences with the bullet as well.

4x4 Mule deer buck at approximately 75 yards. Hit him right where the head meets the neck. Obviously full penetration. Exit hole about the size of a half dollar. Spine where impacted was crushed and pulverized.

2. 5x5 Bull elk. Approximately 50 yards quartering towards me. Hit him right on the ball joint on the onside shoulder. Bullet crushed the shoulder leaving bone pulp and fragments. Bullet continued in through the rib cage leaving a hole about the size of a quarter, and took out one lung. I found the bullet in the body cavity while dressing it out. It weighed 104 grains for a retained percentage of 52%. A little lower than what Nosler advertises but not at all disappointing considering the test it was put through. Here is the recovered bullet next to the bullet it used to be.

Here are the two bullets above with a couple of 180 Nosler Partitions thrown in for comparison. Both of these came out of elk and were fired from the same gun. Muzzle velocity of approx. 3150 fps. The one on the far left was recovered after taking the spine out of spike at about 450 yards. The one next to is was recovered from a cow after going through the spine, body cavity and coming to rest in the brisket (she was running up a steep hillside straight across from me). That shot was about 30 yards.
Here is a shot from the top for diameter comparisons with the partitons of equal caliber. Note that they are in reverse order with the Accubond on the left now.

Needless to say, but I am seriously impressed for the test this bullet was put through. I also do not believe the good people at Nosler are misleading people when they say it was designed to perform like a partition.

Just my .02, and maybe a little more Smiler

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read years ago that for spitzer type bullets with lead tips the lead shears off when they exit the muzzle at hi velocity.
So that was one reason Speer makes their bullets with the flat tips.
The plastic tips should have a better BC cuz of this.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that the 200 gr. accubond to be the most
accurate bullet I ran thru my 300 Rum (sako 75 SS
Krieger barrel McMillan stock) It has done an
exellent job on 2 bulls,1 cow and 1 very large
muley.I like the plastic tip as I seem to stick
cartridges in every pocket and place I can put one
and the plastic holds it's shape better than lead tipped do. I'll use them till something better comes along
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WestCoaster:
I read years ago that for spitzer type bullets with lead tips the lead shears off when they exit the muzzle at hi velocity.
QUOTE]

That's why you shouldn't believe everything you read, West.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i don't know much about the nosler bullets, ive tried them. i found the accubond to be very accurate because of the polymer tip, and as for penetration thruogh bone i dont know that eitherbut i was recently in newfoundland and made a 427 yard heart shot on a 1000lb. bull and was very impressed with these bullets performance the bullet i loaded was a 200grain accubond with imr4350 powder

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 60 yard neck shot on a Bull with 160 grain in 7mm Rem Mag isn't that fair a test but the results were impressive.

I like the Accubond better than the standard partition. But I like the plastic tips, I plan to keep them as my primary elk bullet and continue to use the 150 grain BT's on smaller CA Mule deer.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two field tests of the 225 Accubond this fall using a 330 Dakota at 3050 fps.

Raghorn bull, tight to the shoulder at 275 yds, full penetration, down he went.

Big 5x5 mulie, angling down shot, 175 yds, hit spine going in, recovered the bullet on off shoulder, 56% weight retention, literally flipped the buck over.

Accuracy is great. I'm going to continue to use them.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
WC, Speer makes some of their bullets w/ the "flattened point to reduce bullet tip deformation. Some bullets, .224/50gr Sierra BK, will come apart @ ultra high vel. (lije 4000fps)but for "normal" vel. ranges, 2800-3400fps, the bullets we have today do not deform on firing.
SC, don't be so hard on people posting questions or thoughts, shame the forum is supposed to be "fun & educational." thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a thought on whether we'll ever see the 7mm accubond heavier than the 160 gr? I talked with the tech at Nosler and he said it would simply be too long a bullet.

Now, I'll take this fellow at his word, of course; it just seems, at first glance, that if you can make a 200 gr. 30 cal accubond, why not a 175 gr. 7mm?

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote