New
Find
Notify
Tools

SWIFT A-FRAME
 Login/Join

<monz>
posted
Anybody who has used the A-frame in 9,3x62 (250grains)or in any other big caliber (.35+)?
Or maybe the 300 grainer?
Result?
Penetration?
Expansion?
Retained weight?

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Monz,
I used the A-Frame, 280 gr in my .35 G&H imp. loaded to 2800fps on my elk this year.
I shoot it in the neck so there was no bullet to recover but it never took a single step. I thought it worked well

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
monz,

My most recent use of heavy A-frames were: Heart/lung shot 400 gr. .416 Rem. on Cape Buffalo - bullet not recovered, but tremendous damage. 300gr. .375 H&H on Americn bison - neck shot. Absolutely classic mushroom - recovered bullet weighed 291 grs.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I Used a 500 gr soft out of the 450 Dakota(.458 caliber) on Cape Buffalo. Dakota says their 450 shoots a 500gr bullet at 2450 fps. I don't doubt that that's pretty close to right. I only recovered one out of three Buff. Perfect Mushroom, weighed 493 gr!

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Monz,

I used the 300 grain Swift in the .375 H&H to take a nyala in RSA in '99. Range was only about 30 meters, center of chest shot. This was the Remington factory load, MV of 2,550 fps. The bullet took out about 6 inches of spine, and retained over 95% of its weight...jim

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 300 and the 250 Swift in the 9.3x62 on game...I really like the Swifts on big heavy animals like Buffalo, LIon etc., but I'm not crazy about them on the smaller varieties of game..they all expand the same in a nice round smooth ball with slight buldge under the mushroom..the smoothness makes for small holes and not a lot of blood sometimes I have noticed..

I like a little more ragged expansion such as one gets with a Nosler or Woodleigh on the smaller stuff..but that is based on a limited number of animals shot with them in that caliber, about 20 or so animals with the 250's and perhaps a dozen with the 300's...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<mike aw>
posted
I used the 400gr in a 416 Rigby velocity 2415fps and hit a buffalo in the chest at 25 or so paces. The bullet was recovered behind the last ribs and was beautifully mushroomed and weighed 372grs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 270 gr SAF on Caribou, nilgai, hogs, and a few whitetail. These were loaded to 2500 and 2750 in a 375 H&H. It seemed to work well at either speed. In truth the 2500 speed worked about as well as the 2750 rate. None recovered. All animals died with minimal suffering and fanfare. I don't think you can go wrong with them. It ought to be. They cost pretty dearly but in the overall cost of a hunt probably only the beverages cost less per cartridge. Good hunting. D

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I used the .375, 300gr Swift on a bison last year. Recovered two bullets from the off shoulder. Nice mushrooms. One weighed 299 grains, the other 298 grains. Both were nicked by the butchers saw!

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote