THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Which hunter(s) is the most ethical........

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which hunter(s) is the most ethical........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
That's a nice fairy tale, but we all know that in the real world the distances between #1 and #2 are reversed....

Simply put, no one should shoot at game at distances farther than they regularly, succesfully, practice from field positions.

The rest is just window dressing. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I think 4-wheelers are a gift from God when it comes to dragging an Elk off a mountain, and are great for Pre-Season scouting. But driving all over when other hunters are trying to hunt the same area is very inconsiderate.

I have been blessed to hunt Idaho for elk three times over the years. Each time was in a designated wilderness area for this very reason.

I recognize folks desire and right to use 4-wheelers on much of the public ground. I make sure I go where they can't. I'm glad there is a place for all of us...

Tim

Posts: 1534 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not mean to say that I have any prejudice toward pheasant hunters, or the persuers of any particular species. Perhaps I should have mentioned the numerous hunters who came to the house and asked permission, or those who hunted on the property year after year, inviting my brother and myself along to hunt over their dogs in our youth. Or perhaps I should have mentioned those who wandered onto the property, and when asked to leave, did so immediately and apoligetically.

I am only prejudiced against slobs, they persue all species. Some take snap shots in the woods, without regard for back stops. Some take offhand shots at running game far enough away to ensure a gut shot if they even hit the animal. Some hunt birds without a dog to find downed game. Some shoot up road signs, damage private property, trespass, or tear down fences and leave gates open. I have the least respect for the "There's no chance of killing if there's no lead in the air" crowd.

Please do not misunderstand me, the most concientious hunter or "shooter of game" will occasionally make a mistake. But he strives to minimize them, and sincerely regrets them.

I used to be very proud that all of my kills on game had been one shot kills. (while the old 30-06 is now boring to me, it does fill the freezer) I have missed my share of shots, but have always been grateful for clean misses.

I did ruin that record a few years ago. After climbing about a mile of 15% grade in 14 inches of snow to get within range of a buck, I made the mistake of shooting before my breath was back under control. The doe he was chasing was getting nervous and about to leave. I should have passed on the shot, but didn't. The buck went down as if brain shot, but after several minutes jumped to his feet and ran away as though unwounded. I trailed him in the snow for several miles, uphill and down, and he continued to lose one drop of blood about every twenty yards. Finally as I saw the trail heading right up another mountain, nearing darkness, with no sign of the buck weakening, I made the choice to harvest a different buck.

I regret this wounded deer getting away far more than any I have missed cleanly.

We all make mistakes occasionally, but some do not even consider them a mistake, just standard operating procedure.

Idaho has addressed the issue of slobs and four wheelers this year. It is now unlawful to hunt from a four wheeler in many areas of Idaho. It is legal to use the four wheeler to transport your camp on designated trails, and you may use it to retrieve dead game, but not to hunt from or persue game. I can not speak for enforcement, I see that as a real challenge.

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote