New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H Not enough for Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I went out Deer hunting for a Doe yesterday and thought what better time then to try the 375 H&H since I have not shot anything with it but paper. The load I used was a Barnes 300 grain TSX with a Muzzle velocity of 2556 fps. I had a couple shots early in the morning that I flat out missed but that is what I was out there for getting used to the rifle. I was walking a little river bottom later in the morning when a nice Doe ran out broadside at 50 yards or so. I brought the rifle up lead the deer a little bit and fired. I was shocked the deer didnt even flinch and went over the hill. I thought how could I miss at that range? I started walking were she had ran I did not find any blood but I kept walking anyway. I went about 60 yards and looked over to my right and there she was dead as a door nail. I walked up to her and she had a nice round hole through the lungs on the exit side about the size of a nickle. I shot her right through the lungs. I am still suprised that she did not drop on the spot. I dont think the bullet even new it hit something it probably never even opened up just zipped right through. Have any of you guys had this happend on smaller game using big bore rifles? I think the lesson I learned is not to use a Elephant gun with tuff bullets on deer sized game and expect them to flip over and die. Next time I think I will use the Nosler 260 Accubond or 250 Sierra for deer.

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When using 'tough' bullets on smallish game, you must hit the large bones if you expect to initiate expansion (and 'shock').

The Sierra, the now-discontinued Ballistic Tips, and the Hornady Interlocks will work better than a 'TSX', 'X', Groove, etc. on those deer. You don't need a bonded bullet.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
with a gun that big, I'd definitely opt for a soft bullet. Any plain old Sierra, Hornady, or Speer will do it. Flat based bullets. I would definitely aim for bone using the TSX when possible.