Find
Notify
Tools

California dreamin'...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted
Just found out we're headed to Travis AFB, CA for the next 2-3 years. It's located near Vacaville and not all that far from Sacramento.

What sort of hunting is available nearby? I'd love to hear that waterfowl, hogs, deer, and upland birds throw themselves at you in a suicidal frenzy, but would take the truth just the same.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
California has some of the best public land waterfowl hunting in the country. You can also hunt pheasants on many of the waterfowl properties

Hog hunting is almost all on private land and runs anywhere from $550 to 750 a weekend with a very high success rate.

Deer hunting on private land is fairly expensive $2500 and up.

deer hunting on public land can be reasonably successful if you pack in and really know an area so i have been told.

Travis is about 1/2 way between SF and Sacramento.

Most of the State and Federal Waterfowl hunting refuges will be within 90 minutes of you to the north.

Look on a map and find the the town Williams.

The Colusa, Delevan and Sacramento wildlife refuges are within 10 miles of Williams and offer public duck hunitng

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The Sutter and Grey Lodge refuges are just a little further.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Don't you think he'd do better hunting Grizzly Island and its associated properties?

Travis AFB is within spitting distance of "Grizzly Island State Waterfowl Area" or something titled very close to that. Either way its known as Grizzly Island. Last I knew, (better than ten years ago,)hunting opportunities for waterfowl were very good there, but as in all of California, hunting competition is keen.

FYI, Grizzly is a brackish water marsh so the finish on your fine fowling piece will be,............uh, well, different after a trip or two there.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
keen doesn't even begin to describe competition for public land hunting opportunities in this state. try combat hunting for more accuracy. try getting a duck blind on a public marsh. arrive at 3AM and wait for the 4:30 lottery drawing for a randomly assigned blind. if you don't draw one-go home. i quit hunting around here years ago. the aggravation factor was way too high.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13427 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
There also is some very good turkey hunting out here and I think a fair amount of birds can be found on public land and the guided private land hunts I believe are relatively inexpensive (similar to a hog hunt in cost).

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
There are good opportunities in CA still, some areas have more competition than others. You will find that the biggest competitors are also the laziest, keep that in mind when scouting. Private land hunting can be much more rewarding. In he northern most area of the state you have good opportunities for Deer and Bear. Central CA is a good spot for pigs. Southern California (more towards the SE) has good opportunities for antelope and sheep (although tags can be hard to get).

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
keen doesn't even begin to describe competition for public land hunting opportunities in this state. try combat hunting for more accuracy. try getting a duck blind on a public marsh. arrive at 3AM and wait for the 4:30 lottery drawing for a randomly assigned blind. if you don't draw one-go home. i quit hunting around here years ago. the aggravation factor was way too high.

Well,....... why I moved to Dillingham. I was thinking that since he'd be very local to Grizzly and Suisun Bay perhaps he could take advantage of wednesdays, sunday afternoons, and other non peak use times. I dunno how many other properties are affiliated with Grizzly Island anymore, but weren't there something like six?

I certainly don't know anymore, but I was thinking maybe a wednesday afternoon on the marsh could be productive and less crowded.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Grizzly Island is certainly closer to Travis AFB.

I personally have had more success in the Sacramento Valley. The 10,000 of acres of rice is a gnet for the ducks.

You also want to put in for the Tule Elk Tag every year.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
Waterfowl hogs and turkey are plentiful there. You can even find turkeys and sometimes hogs on public land. Most of the BLM land is scrubby - I'd look for lower elevation access to NF lands in the coast range and foothills. Deer can be tough - I'd suggest the roadless/wilderness areas in the North Central coast range. Good luck and look out for the hippies.

BTW if you're into catch and release - Putah Creek has some decent winter trout fishing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll wait to get out there and look around, but it looks like joining a hunt club with access to private water/rice may be a good deal for waterfowl.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
Ther's 2 fee for access clubs in the area that provide access to private land for a reasonable price, if I recall correctly. One is called Richmond hunting club, and the other is bigger, but I don't recall the name. You'll find it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live 10 min away from Travis AB. The closest place to hunt hogs (for free) is Knoxville, Cache Creek, Indian Valley Resv and Lake Sonoma. Lake Sonoma is bowhunting only but is probably your best bet on actually killing a hog on Public Land. If you want to go on guided/private property hunt, there are several to choose from (most $400-$600).

For deer hunting you can hunt around Napa County (the closest) or take a drive to the Sierras. I usually hunt D5 and it’s about a 3 hour drive.

For elk hunting…good luck getting a tag. I have max points and put in every year for a Tule Cow tag and I have yet to draw (+15 years of putting in). Grizzly Island holds a nice herd of Tules, but winning the lottery is easier than drawing a tag.

I don’t duck hunt but my brother does. He usually takes his boat out to the Delta. Upland birds (mostly quail) can be hunted in Knoxville. There is a great pheasant club (Birds Landing) that is really close to Travis.

Good luck on the move. beer

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Try sniffing around Marysville. Lots of rice fields with tanks on the checks which can be leased. Check with the rice farmers.

I found the ducks were crazy during storms. Lots of Snows, very few honkers for some reason.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote