THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    NM Draw Results NOT Available as Promised

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NM Draw Results NOT Available as Promised
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Been trying all day to log in to the NM web site to find out if I got lucky. They've changed to a temporary site that doesn't work. When is the Presidential Candidate going to figure out that little stuff, like promises, count. Anybody had any luck on their web site?

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 931 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been on all day..........gettin more pissed...................wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
same as wapiti.. getting more pissed off as the evening progresses.. been trying all day.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's working this morning - finally.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 931 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Finally got in very early this morning, but it's already slowing way down. It'll probably be another clusther F+++ today.

Anyway, I went from nada last year to three tags this year:
1. Deer with a rifle
2. Cow elk with a muzzleloader
3. Ibex with a bow

Anybody want to give me hints about ibex? This is my first foray into that area. I'm still a bit clueless, but have time to catch up.

Good luck to the rest of you fellas that applied and are trying to get results.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I saw a great t-shirt yesterday that said

NEW MEXICO - not that much different from the old one

Big Grin

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LRH270:
I saw a great t-shirt yesterday that said

NEW MEXICO - not that much different from the old one

Big Grin

Man, where can I get one of those? Eeker There's some truth to it for sure.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ibex? I had heard about oryx in NM, but ibex? Didn't know that.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats DesertRam, you did great in the draw...

I'd love to go on the Ibex hunt one day

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:
Ibex? I had heard about oryx in NM, but ibex? Didn't know that.

Frans

Yep, Persian Ibex live in the Florida Mountains (and some surrounding areas) near Deming in southern NM. At one point, the population was really thriving at over 1,000 animals. However, xenophobia by the G&F (massive hunting) and scabies put a pretty good dent in the numbers. The current population estimate is between 250 and 300 head, mostly restricted to the rugged Floridas.

I'm looking forward to the hunt, but I know it's going to be very difficult.

Oh well, beats working. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are happy since we drew what we wanted (cow elk in the Gila). I checked my credit card the morning of the 20th, which told me we were going hunting - then it was just a question of which unit. Frustrating to keep trying to get in to the overloaded system. Finally logged on at 4 am the next day (they are called the wee hours for a reason). Now that we have the results, I realize I would rather that NMDGF spend their money on game biologists than on computer programmers.

Along the same lines - When I go to a sports show to talk to outfitters, I always go for the scrawny ones that could use a haircut and a shave. I figure the well fed ones with the fancy haircut cant be spending too much time in the woods.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have to wait and hand out tags to all the cousins of the state legislators, etc., before they can get to paying customers. NM is the damndest place I ever lived, and I have been a few places.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea baby!! I got the door prize!...Javlina!!!!! If life got any beter than this in my own state, I'd just crap and fall back in it!!!..................a disgruntled wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the spelling....I'm in a hurry....wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got drawn for mule deer with a rifle in Nov, I can't wait!

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Hey Wapiti, you made up for by drawing how many oryx tags - 5??? I think you're ahead of the game. Big Grin I know how you feel though. Last year I got totally skunked, nothing. I had to spring for a landowner tag just for the "honor" of hunting in my own state. I guess I made up for it this year, though I have no idea what I'm going to do with an ibex bow tag. I actually wanted to draw javelina and didn't.

I haven't drawn a deer or elk tag since '04, so I feel pretty good this year. I'll be up in your neck of the woods that first week of November hunting deer in Unit 2B. Back to my old haunts - I grew up there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
Hey Wapiti, you made up for by drawing how many oryx tags - 5??? I think you're ahead of the game. Big Grin I know how you feel though. Last year I got totally skunked, nothing. I had to spring for a landowner tag just for the "honor" of hunting in my own state. I guess I made up for it this year, though I have no idea what I'm going to do with an ibex bow tag. I actually wanted to draw javelina and didn't.

I haven't drawn a deer or elk tag since '04, so I feel pretty good this year. I'll be up in your neck of the woods that first week of November hunting deer in Unit 2B. Back to my old haunts - I grew up there.

I drew 2b in early Nov also! I'm going to be hunting with San Juan Outfitters.

Any tips on the terrain and what rifle to bring? I'm thinking about either my Sauer 202 in .270 Win, my Sauer 202 in 300 WBY mag or my Chapuis double rifle in 9.3x74R.

I'm leaning towards the .300 WBY for possible long shots 3-400 but the Chapuis would be great out to 200-250 and very fast in the thicker stuff. The .270 is a joy to shoot.

This will be my first western hunt so any tips are much appreciated.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
geoff, I prefer the 300wthby. If you can shoot it good, do it. The 2b hunt is a good one. You should see some decent deer. I don't know the guys at SJ outfitters, but I know of them. I hear they know the country pretty good. The weather should be beautiful, so bring your fly rod! If you need anything, drop me a PM..................wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DesertRam...yea, I guess an Oryx hunt will settle me down a little. It's only my 4th by the way!! Anyway, maybe we could hook up with geof for some coffee......wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got drawn for unit 30 (Guadalupe Mnts) with an old timey muzzleloader. Now I need to buy a rifle for the hunt. Nothing wrong with an excuse to purchase a new firearm!

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Geoff, any of the rifles you mentioned would work just fine. I grew up hunting what is now 2B and killed deer with a bow, a .22-250, a .257 Roberts AI, my 6.5X55 and a .300 Winchester. I'll probably carry a .25-06 this year. Although my dad killed a deer there at about 300 yards, my longest shot was about 120, while my shortest was about 30 (bow and .300). There are certainly places where you can shoot long distances, but much of the terrain is well suited to still hunting and spot and stalking. It's not terribly difficult to close the distance to a very reasonable rifle shot. If you can shoot your double to 250 yards, it would probably do everything you need. However, the .300 might provide a bit of extra confidence. On an outfied hunt, you have some dollars at stake, so every little bit might help.

Wapiti, I'd be pleased to meet up for coffee. I'll be staying with my folks out in the sticks (about 30 miles east of Farmington), but I think we can put something together.

Stevie, I love your philosophy! The Guadalupes are neat country, though I've never hunted them. I've heard there are nice deer there. I've also heard rumors of Barbary sheep (Auodad). You might do a little research to see if it would be worth your while to buy an over-the-counter sheep tag. The season in that unit is year-round I believe, so it would give you an excuse to come scouting before your deer hunt.

one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
The season for barbary sheep is not year round. The hunt dates are generally in February. You can check the dates at www.wildlife.state.nm.us

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Badboyz, good point. As indicated in the 2007-2008 Big Game and Trapper Rules and Information booklet, there is a hunt for Barbary that is statewide (except for closed areas and those units that have a scheduled hunt. Stevie's Unit 30 is one of those so identified. In my first quick review, I overlooked that the hunt in that unit is Feb 1 - Mar 15. My bad. Frowner However, in units aside from 28-37 (which unfortunately is that whole corner of the state), there is year-round hunting available for Barbary. The proclomation says the season is April 1, 2007 to March 31, 2008.

Sorry Stevie, I led you astray. However, be on the lookout for sheep during your deer hunt and you might be able to return in February to chase them. The licenses are unlimited and the bag limit is either sex.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This will be about my 10th deer hunt in the Guads. I have never seen an aoudad there, but we generally don't hunt the rim where I believe they are more likely to be found. In the 90's, that area was covered up in deer. Not so much now.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote