THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Just shot my buddy's new 375 ultra mag!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just shot my buddy's new 375 ultra mag!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My buddy cashed in a favor at the local gunstore and they found him a stainless rem 375 ultra mag with synthetic stock. (Not ez to find right now).
He brought it into the shop and we weighed it with a 2-7 leo scope mounted and it came in just under 8Lbs--WOW not bad. The trigger is unbelievable--very light and crisp--maybe 3-4 lbs max. We shot a couple of rem 300 grain swift factory loads over the chrono and they averaged 2840 fps. We didn't bother sighting it in as he wanted to save ammo--AND HE WAS IN A HURRY TO GET IT TO THE LOCAL "SMITH" TO GET A BRAKE INSTALLED!!
All in all for a $640 rifle I was impressed!!
I can say one thing-----those 300 grain swift a frames really tear up our wisconsin snow banks!!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have snow banks in Medford? We have just little ones in Hayward I thought that far south it had all melted. [Big Grin]

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At that weight that rifle would be a real kicker. I once had a M70 .375, and while it wasn't bad from hunting positions it was brutal over the bench. It weighed over 10 lbs loaded and scoped. It needed that much weight for me, but it got very heavy when climbing a mountain in hip boots in the brush stalking a bear. By the time I got to where I thought the bear would be, carring it at ready had made my shoulders tired.

I shot one brownie with it, and two moose. It was very effective. However, my friend had a .35 Whelen and it seemed equally effective. When I returned to the states I had a M70 FWT rebarreled to .35 W but I never shot anything with it.

I would be interested in the owner's assesment of it after he has shot it a couple hundred times (not at one sitting of course).

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Kraky,

Are you sure that your friend got all the parts with his rifle? I have the same rifle and, out of the box, no sights, no bases and rings, and no scope it weighs a bit over 7.5lbs. Just wondering? [Smile]

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
...... We shot a couple of rem 300 grain swift factory loads over the chrono and they averaged 2840 fps. We didn't bother sighting it in as he wanted to save ammo--AND HE WAS IN A HURRY TO GET IT TO THE LOCAL "SMITH" TO GET A BRAKE INSTALLED!!

If you have to have a brake on your rifle to shoot it than you need a smaller rifle.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I disagree. I believe there is ONE or TWO very big reasons for having that rifle caliber: Huge elk and bear. They get that way because they know to stay the hell away from people with rifles.

I suspect with a brake, at 400+ yards, that may turn out to be an excellent long range, flat shooting, large animal rifle. At these ranges, the usual bitching and complaining about brakes need not apply.

Since about 100% of the time the rifle is carried, having a light, very high powered rifle makes a hell of a lot of sense, with a brake to help control it.

Have to think about applying such a philosophy to my 375, and put it on a diet...
[Wink]

By the way, even though not a Rem ultra, 270 grain bullets at 2800 fps in 375 H&H will get your attention as well...

GS

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want a brake and i use mine for mostly shooting gongs and paper, brakes are just too damn loud. I've got a model 700 with iron sights that has around 250 rounds through it. Most of the time its not too bad to shoot but in the summer with a t-shirt from prone or bench it is pretty stiff recoil for me. Like they say standing and kneeling are no problem. This spring of summer it will get a leupold and just that bit of weight should make a difference in recoil also. I don't think mine will ever get a factory round through it as $50 a box is ridiculous. I had ammunition made before i even had the gun and then used that as an exuse to the wife that i needed to go order the rifle. [Smile]

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ovis--Maybe our UPS scale isn't accurate but Idid zero it and I placed the rifle onto the platform for the best balance I could--and I took about 4 different trys and it always came up just a hair under 8 lbs. Maybe I didin't get it placed just right but it did feel light and I believed my eyes.
Re the price of $500 for a synthetic/stainless that's fantastic. From what I've seen distributor cost to dealers is about $580 on these. I have to admit I fibbed a little onthe price I quoted as the local shop sold it for just under $600 as it was a "favor". I just didn't want to get anyone in trouble who had sold a few of these for a small markup. (Gotta keep our gunshops in business).
My friends brother in law drew a Kodiak bear permit for this spring and that's where it's going. Seems they don't want to have to follow one into the brush very badly!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one under any conditions should shoot a griz or brownie at 400 yards. Sure you might hit him, but you probably can't kill him on the spot. I doubt any guide would permit such a shot.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
JerryM,

I would agree. I know more then a few brown bear guides and I know none of them would ever allow a client to take a 400yd shot on a brown bear or any other bear for that matter. If your guide can't get you any closer then that, you've wasted a lot of money.

Kraky,

Just poking a little about the weight guy, no offense intended. I did get mine for under $500.00 though. I haven't shot it yet as I'm waiting for a couple of components to reload. I'm plowing the savings on what I paid into a better stock. I've also just ordered the scope, rings, etc., so it will be a couple of weeks before it's all put together. Sometimes it takes a while for stuff to get up here.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a good rifle !! I would like to have a larger .375 one day to launch the woodleigh 350's at the same pace my H&H launches 300's may be they can launch them even a little quicker.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of ordering some woodleigh 350's not sure about the load though would be guessing. Maybe 86gr imr 4350 as i use 91-92 with 300's? I don't load hot for this caliber.

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Is the friends rifle a Sendero w/ fluted barrel???
My 300RUM Sendero weighs about 8 pounds with out the scope.
The fluted barrel takes about 1/2 a pound off...
Nice firearm by the way!!

Posts: 19 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A "crisp" Remington factory trigger!!!!!
No way!!!
I just saw that one!

Posts: 19 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
I have a Remington M700 Classic in .375 H&H.
It weighs just a fuzz over 8 lbs. with a Luepold 3x9 scope. It knocks the snot out of me with full power loads. Not plesant at all but very accurete.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billy375:
I was thinking of ordering some woodleigh 350's not sure about the load though would be guessing. Maybe 86gr imr 4350 as i use 91-92 with 300's? I don't load hot for this caliber.

I just bought from Midwayusa a box of 50 Woodleigh 350 grain PP bullets for my 375 Ultra.. now I need to find someone that's developed some safe loads for it..

Posts: 1 | Location: Brunswick Maine | Registered: 07 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dundonrl,
I worked up with woodleigh 350 sn,rn as high as 2599fps, (too hot) that was with 91.5gr rl-19. Got a deer this year with 90gr. rl-19, fed. 215's, at 2525. Actually i think 88 to 89 grains would work well probably 2400+fps range. I bought the 350's just to work a heavy load up for fun but next year i think i'm backing down to 300's again, got a lot of sierra gameking 300's and nosler partitions loaded at 2750fps-2800fps with 95gr reloader 19. Did not try any powder besides rl-19 with the 350's as i was moa at 200yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have the .375 H&H in a Remmington Classic but with a 2-7 Nikon. I've learned to put a sand bag between the butt and my shoulder when doing bench work and it tames it to an acceptable level. Recoil has never been a problem when shooting at game.

I would want, at the minimum, a Volkswagon to put between my shoulder and the .375 Ultra!

[ 11-07-2003, 19:56: Message edited by: Boise ]

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the stock bdl i have bench work in the summer while wearing a tshirt will hit ya pretty hard. This year shooting at game i heard the report but didn't feel a thing shooting it.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
You can get 2350fps out of a stock 375 H&H with the 350g Woodleighs. Norma loads their PH ammo with 350g Woodleighs for the 375 H&H and advertises 2300fps. I would expect to be able to get 2500fps or better with a 375 Wby Mag with normal pressure. At 2550fps with a 350g Woodleigh PP or solid you're at 5000 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle with 416 Rigby-like penetration.

Regards,
Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've made several posts on my .375 ultra mag, and basically, I love it! I've taken it to Africa twice, taking 18 animals with it with most being one shot kills, including Buffalo and Eland. I've shot animals with it at ranges from 30 to 350 yds using both 270 and 300 gr Barnes TSX bullets. Both have over 5000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. So far I haven't seen a need for a bullet heavier than 300 grains.

I put a custom laminated stock on mine with a in-stock recoil reducer and a KDF muzzle brake. 97+ grains of 4831 is loud with or without a brake. At 62 yrs old, I can still bench press my weight (215 lbs), but I am not macho enough to enjoy being punished by recoil. I enjoy hunting, not having the s*** kicked out of me every time I squeeze the trigger. On my last hunt in South Africa, I shot several animals from a prone position, and I was not bothered at all by the recoil.

Although I have used my .375 ultra mag for Steenbok and Vaal Rhebok, it would not be my first choice for Elk or Grizzly.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
I can say one thing-----those 300 grain swift a frames really tear up our wisconsin snow banks!!![/QUOTE]

I've heard that those snowbanks are pretty tough and it is advisable to "use enough gun" Big Grin

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Killed several elk over the years with my standard .375 H&H and 300 gr Sierras. The average range was probably 275 to 300 yds. Wonder how I ever got by with such an anemic ctg??

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
You can get 2400 fps out of a 375 H&H Magnum with the 350g Woodleigh PPs, so that should be a mild load. H4350 powder works well.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote