New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in the Winston Salem area
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,
I am new to the forum, so forgive me if I make a few gaffs here and there. I am Brazilian but live in London, UK. In April 2007 I will going across the pond to the US, more specifically to Winston Salem in North Carolina, for a friend's wedding.
I would like to take the opportunity to do a bit of hunting and check out what our colleagues in the US can find in and around that neck of the woods.
Here in the UK I hunt mainly deer and rabbits, having shot also back in Brazil and Italy for other species.
I would really appreciate if you guys out there could let me know what I could expect to find in the areas around Winston Salem, what game will be in season, etc.
I have heard quite a bit about the turkey hunting in the US, so this to me would be a novelty, as I have never shot any bird bigger than a pheasant.
Any information is much appreciated. Please reply to the string and to georgebalbino@aol.com
I am also a keen and much travelled spearfisherman, so I will be trying to shoot a few fish out in the Gulf Stream and see what it is like. I heard that the sharks are there are pretty vicious, so I may need to double up my life insurance, just in case.
Regards to all and safe shooting,
George Balbino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live about an hour from Winston-Salem...sorry to disappoint you, but the only thing in season during April are Wild Turkeys. That season runs till about mid-April. Even the season for the shooting preserves ends in March.

Here is a link to the hunting season by species
http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg04_HuntingTrapping/seasons0607.pdf

Posts: 109 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How does the wild turkey hunting goes? Would I have to get a shooting licence? Are there areas open to shooters or the shooting is done through outfitters?
Sorry for asking too many questions, but don't want to build up expectations if this in the US are even more restricted than here, where you would have to have permission from land owners, hold firearms certificate (very difficult to get), etc.
Regards,
George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi George,
I presently live in the Wiston-Salem area and have several friends that are avid turkey hunters. I will speak with some of them over the weekend and see if it may be possible to set up a hunt for you.
Dave

Posts: 87 | Location: High Above the Timberline | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully a turkey hunter will join this conversation, but I will answer what I can.

You will need both an out-of-state license and a big game license (don't know why turkey is included with deer and bear on this license, but it is. A 6-day hunting license will cost $40, with an additional $40 for the big game license needed to hunt wild turkey...the annual license is $60 for the license and $60 for the big game license (these are for out-of-state hunters).

There is public land near Winston Salem that has turkey hunting...the best, I believe, is the Uwharrie National Forest. See this website for more info: http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/

There are also a number of places that have guides available who will do the calling, etc., for you. See this for some guides: http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/merchants/hunting_guides.php

Sorry I can't be of more help, but as I said, I've never tried turkey hunting.

Off-shore fishing is picking up around that time of year...if you have the time, head to either Manteo, Cape Hatteras or Morehead City for some off-shore charters to the Gulf Stream. Driving time will be 4-5 hours from Winston depending on which area you are going to.

Posts: 109 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave and JKeith,
This Forum is really amazing! I really appreciate you guys taking your time to help as much as you can. The turkey hunting sounds great and if I can hook up with some local chaps or anyone living around that area it would be great. My friend there is into rock climbing, so not a great help when it comes to hunting, unless it was for mountain goat and one got stuck a rock somewhere and needed bringing down!
Any additional information is much appreciate, such as: where can I get the out-of-state licences and so on? Given that I do not intend to take my own weapons across, is it possible to hire them locally? What would I need for that?
Regards to all,
George

One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
As far as the hunting license, that is the easy part. You can go to any hunting store in North Carolina or Walmart and purchase a hunting license. You will have to show your passport since you are not from the United States but it is very simple. North Carolina does not require any type of draw for tags for turkey so that is helpful as well.

The hard part will be finding a place to hunt. You have the public land option or you can book a hunt with a local outfitter that does turkey hunts.

As far as guns, you should be able to borrow a shotgun from an outfitter if you book with one. Buying a gun is not an option.

Turkey hunting in itself can be very chalenging. There is an art to it. Between the calling and the positioning and the decoys it can be difficult for someone who has not done it before.

My suggestion is to book a hunt with an outfitter who can provide the property, the calling, the decoys, the shotgun, possibly the clothing but especially the know how to chase those big birds.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for the info 300magman. Bit by bit I am putting together a realistic picture of what to expect and how to go about it. Any further info is much appreciated.
Regards,
George