Find
Notify
Tools

Was I being hunted?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
This may be just a case of wolves being curious but there seemed to be alot of hungery wolves and very little moose around on our hunt.

This years bull moose hunt had me packing my bow due to not drawing a permit in the area we usually put in. I also was unsuccessful at drawing goat and grizz. The archery season was during the rut so I figured my chances were pretty good. I called out 5 bulls last year at the same time and 2 stood broadside at bow range, one I took with my rifle.

I have a spot in this area that is a gated off wood lot that they horse log in. There usually a group of moose in there rutting along with some deer and bears wolves etc. As I hiked in and called in the first small cut I noticed no fresh moose sign. Odd I thought. There were plenty of wolf tracks though. I wasn’t too worried because the better cuts were up higher. Before I got off the skidder trail to the road going in, I jumped a wolf at 10 yards. He put the brakes on right in front of me. I was wearing 3D Leafy Wear with a mask and he obviously had no clue what I was. I fumbled to quickly get an arrow out of my quiver and it tried to bolt. I let out a soft bull grunt and it stopped again and gave me the head to toe look a couple of times before finally locking onto my eyes. He then trotted off. Immediately after he was gone, another came into view in the same spot at 10 yards (I was at a T in the trail). I had an arrow nocked but still was trying to get my release aid attached. He hesitated and then bolted. I then was at full draw as another bolted by. No time for a shot. I grunted a couple of times and then peeked around the bush and seen a smaller black one turn and bolt back the way he came. I looked the other way and the first 3 were milling around at about 100 yards watching me. I stepped back and hoped the little black bastard would try a sneak by and catch up with the rest of the pack.

I waited about 30 seconds before I noticed a wolf sitting on a game trail straight ahead watching me. There was bush in the way so I didn’t think I was going to get a clean shot. He vanished but to where I don’t know. The other 4 wolves were now out of sight.

I waited a few more minutes grinning. This was quite the experience. I’ve never been this close to live wolves in the wild and I nearly took one with my bow. From my experience, it’s all but done. Wolves are pretty slippery so I went back to my moose hunt. I walked up the next skidder trail about 60 yards and I heard something beside me. One of those damn wolves was following me, or was it one I hadn’t seen yet? I looked in my quiver and counted what I already knew, 3 arrows. At this point I came to realize that these wolves still had no idea I was human. This camo works really well and I’ve had deer bed all around me before while I sat out in the open in front of a spotting scope. I’m also making moose sounds. I have no transportation because I was dropped off. I decided to finally let these guys know I was human and took off my mask and gave him a holler. Just then, another one on the other side of me runs off. I’m actually being surrounded. I went from being suspicious to very concerned. The one that I could see never even looked concerned. He just stepped out of sight without making a sound. He was looking at me with his head very low. I decided it was time to walk out of there and return the next day with a rifle. I neither saw nor heard them on my way out and when I returned, their tracks were all over mine all the way out to the cable. We never saw them neither.

Our whole trip we heard wolves night and day. The moose hunting was the worst it had been in years. I’ll be back for a deer rut hunt. There will be no leaves on the trees. I hope to thin a few out.

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the story, I enjoyed it. I wish we could shoot the ones we see! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, they had you figured for lunch!

Predators are just that!

We do not have any wolves in California, but we have way to damned many mountain lions!

I discovered that one tracked me all the way back to my tent one time while deer hunting. His tracks were right on top of mine darned near to the tent. A little spooky!

Just last week a guy was telling me about a hunter who shot at a mountain lion who was stalking another hunter pretty close to here.

Last year my wife and I disrupted a stalk by a mountain lion on a gal on a bike who had no idea she was in any danger at all!

As far as I am concerned predators are varmints to be shot, protected or not!

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I live in country where large predators are everywhere. Lots and lots of black bears, lots of grizzlies, lots and lots mountain lions, and a heck of alot of wolves. Encounters are all the time but being a lower populated area, attacks are rarely heard of. I can't remember the last time I heard of an actual person being harmed in the Cariboo. I'm sure its happened though. The areas people are being killed year after year are mostly areas where there arew no humans living and most of the attacks are on hunters, workers and hikers who are in area that rarley see hunans.

This area I was in is populated and gets a fair bit of pressure. The wolves there are VERY skittish and hard to get a rifle shot on. They obviously didnt know I was human with the 3D camo.

I'm starting to rethink calling in big stupid rutting moose wearing this stuff when I'm only armed with a bow. I've been able to call a bull back out after placing a bullet through his lungs, I doubt an arrow is going to concern him too much if he's looking for a fight. It would be like the stage show "Stomp"! Eeker

Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was walking up a two track road close to nightfall, looking for elk sign when I noticed movement in the brush along side the road. When I moved, whatever it was moved. When I stopped, they stopped. I used my binocular to see what I was having for company, and it was a pack of those introduced Mexican Gray Wolves. Now I was headed uphill and my vehicle was down the hill from me about a mile. As it was really getting a bit too dark to be legal, even if I saw an elk, I headed back to my truck. So did the wolves. I've often wondered if I was to be the main course that evening, although, I do believe I could have changed their plans with my .35 Whelen. I don't give a superannuated rat's ass what the government says. If it's my chubby buns that are one the line, then they will definitly be endangered, by me.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dam things one sees when u don't have a gun.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
All the times I've run into wolves packing a rifle and 150 yards has been the closest I've been. 10 yards with a bow. Roll Eyes

There would of been wolf back straps on the menu if I was packing a crossbolt. jump

Too many people........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, a guy was hunted horseback in the ND Badlands and a wolf attacked him and his horse. The horse threw him, but he came off with gun in hand. He shot the wolf from the hip as the wolf came for him. He had to take the G&F back to the spot of the attack, and they confirmed the story.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like all pedators the wolves were looking for an advantage. Two legged, four legged it doesn't matter any predator is a hunter.

Nice doesn't mean weak.

Posts: 74 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where I hunt in Wyoming there are no wolves but a pretty good population of cougar. The ranchers there have there own solution to the problem, shoot 'em, bury 'em, and shut up!

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
The cougars historicly have accounted for the most kills out of all the predators here in BC but the last few years it has been bears. They are on the rise and its hard to believe there was a serious efforst to ban hunting bears. It was squashed and it has been proved there are more blacks now than pre Euopean in this province. The lefties won't except that logging is reposible for this along with large populations of moose in areas that never had moose period!

Too many people........

One of Us
Picture of TomFromTheShade
posted Hide Post
I think that it comes to a point some times, especially out west right now with the mountain lions, where people have to do whats right regardless of the law. Hopefully, the governator will pick up on this and realize that some of these lions need to be taken. I'm not saying that people should kill these animals illegally, but I am saying that if I'm hunting and one looks at me the wrong way he is getting a very VERY quick dose of self defense.

- TomFromTheShade -

Make it a point in life to leave this world a little better off than it was before you came into it.

Posts: 81 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote