New
Find
Notify
Tools

how much ammo to bring?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll be leaving for Canada next week chasing moose.
I have 50 .375H&H cases loaded up and ready to go, but I know there's no way I'm going to need them, so, just how much should one bring on an overseas hunt?

Half a dozen for zeroing should anything go wrong.
Half a dozen for hunting, should anything go wrong, and another half dozen should anything else go wrong.

So that's 18 cartridges. Round up to 20 and you're done?
I'll feel like I've left somthing behind if I take off with just 20 rounds.

I'm also taking a 6PPC for hunting wolves with and have 60 cases ready, but since they weigh so little I'm not concerned.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mate - Im taking 30x 200gn '06 for the same reasons you mentioned. You got 60 for the 6PPC and 20 for the Sako - I reckon if that aint enough between us, we ought to call off the war and go home! [Smile]

Getting close now - and the weather is turning FROSTY! [Wink] Guess I'll be bringing that long handled underwear!

Catch ya soon.

Ian [Wink]

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the temperatures are just starting to drop in alberta.Unless the forecast changes drastically it won't be too cold in the near future.But then our ideal of cold is -20 degrees or colder.

[ 10-27-2003, 01:21: Message edited by: stubblejumper ]

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was traveling as far as you are, I'd take 2 boxes of ammo!

I would put one box in one bag and the other box in a different bag, just in case all of my baggage didn't make the flight!

My $.02 worth! Good luck on the hunt!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
On my SAA flight to RSA I was allowed 11 pounds of ammo. It must be packaged such that each cartridge is separated from the next. Plastic loading boxes work fine although noone ever looked at the ammo directly...just looked at the package I had them duct taped in. No one weighed them either!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One for each moose you plan to shoot, and two more, just in case you run into someone who forgot to bring ammo. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd take 3 boxes of ammo...that way if anything goes heywire, You have enough to re sight in and test it....better safe than sorry..and not any trouble.

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always taken 40 rounds on every out-of-the-country hunt I've taken. All of which were one or two species hunts, where I could expect to shoot once or twice at one or two animals..leaving some 36 rounds to loose, use for sighting, give away, etc.

But how many do you *carry* when hunting? I usually have one in the barrel, three in the magazine, and one in each pant's pocket. And I'll be damned if I haven't used all six on one sordid occassion!!

Frans

Terra Incognita North America
www.terrahunt.com

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I would at least put 20 in one bag and another twenty in another bag.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two boxes for each caliber, Joe. And put them in seperate baggage. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Until last week I was in your camp. After last weeks tough hunt I consider 2 boxes min. Over the week long hunt I stupidly bashed the scope, my partner caused me to bash the scope and a horse doing a slide down the mountain caused the last movement. Thank goodness Leupolds are tough. I know this rifle and load well so it takes only one shot to check and one to adjust for altitude (10,000+) and travel and one for checking after each bashing and one to confirm after adjustment. That was 9 rounds! Also I didn't know how it would perform with my partner's ammo if I got into trouble. We will check this out in the future.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I've packed 30 rounds of ammo for the .375H&H - only thing is I only have one bag! (plus rifles)

What do you do? Repack into two bags? [Confused]

I got all my gear into my backpack, which I slid into a PVC waterproof duffel bag, aside from that I have a compact cyclist type backpack that will serve as my daypac.

I never really consider the possibility of my bags not coming through, even distrubuting the gear over two bags would be useless to me.
If they lose one, (you can't know which one it will be)...compromise compromises.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote