New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPS recommendation.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We are hunting Wy. and Co. this fall. Looking to buy a new GPS. Enlighten me please. Looking for something that shows public and private land.
Thanks in advance!

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a map instead, they don't need batteries.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use both maps and GPS.

The GPS is invaluable with showing property lines. Then it shows that you are on the right property. Eliminates the guess work and wasted time that goes along with it.

I use HUNTONX chip.

Makes finding available hunting land 10 times easier then a paper map alone

I really like the Garmin Montana series. I been using mine for 9 plus years now.

Posts: 19421 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I downloaded ONX on my smart phone. Shows property lines and also works where you don't have any cell service. You can download for specific states or for a little more, all states. Has tracking, go to , measure, etc. like most GPS.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That ONX app for phones is very popular among hunters in many Western states.
Be aware that the BLM has a similar phone app for some states/areas that is free.
For paper BLM maps, go here:
http://publiclands.org/books.p...te=&tab=books&cat=63

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16485 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the ONX app for my smart phone and seem to use it as much or more than my Garmin Montana. You can download high resolution maps of the areas you're going to be hunting so you have them even if you don't have cell service. It has private property, public, and restricted areas clearly marked out. Also it will have the Areas marked so if you are hunting area 11 for example it will have it. I have the same chip for my Garmin Montana but the maps on it are not google earth type.

Garmin also has the Insight I think they are called where you can pair your smart phone to them and use their satellite service to text message people to let them know how are things are going. If someone else in your party has it you can communicate with them and see their location. Pretty handy to have in my opinion. I would like to get one of those since I will be out of contact from my family for a week this coming elk season and my wife and son like to talk to me nightly when i'm out of town.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Garmin Maps 64s and combine it with the ONXHUNT chip. Waterproof and has actual buttons that aren't affected by rain as a cell phone screen is. You can also use the app on your phone for dual options and in the truck.

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how the cell phone GPS apps work: do they require cell phone towers or do they receive satellite signals directly?

If they depend on cell phone towers, I'd prefer a stand-alone GPS. Satellites cover the entire world . . . cell phone towers don't.

You should also have a map and compass. IMO.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375er:
I have a Garmin Maps 64s and combine it with the ONXHUNT chip. Waterproof and has actual buttons that aren't affected by rain as a cell phone screen is. You can also use the app on your phone for dual options and in the truck.
A quick comment: the Garmin 64 receives both the US's satellite signals and the GLONASS (Russian) satellite signals. I assume other Garmin units receive both, too.

In passing, I love Garmin's 60 series: the 60s, 62s and 64s, particularly the buttons. The only downside of them that I've found is the size of the display, but I love those units in spite of that!

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Wyoming the last 4 years.

I have ON X for my phone. You can download the maps of the area you are hunting and view them on your phone when hunting. You do not need cell phone coverage to do so. Just use the phone in airplane mode and go to low battery setting and you are good to go.

I also carry a Garmin 64 with the chip. I always like a backup system with me.

On X is great, shows boundaries, land owners, units etc. Really easy to use on the phone as well.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutty:

I have ON X for my phone. You can download the maps of the area you are hunting and view them on your phone when hunting. You do not need cell phone coverage to do so. Just use the phone in airplane mode and go to low battery setting and you are good to go.

On X is great, shows boundaries, land owners, units etc. Really easy to use on the phone as well.
Just to be clear: are you saying the cell phone will locate your position (as in coordinates and an on-screen marker) on the map you've downloaded to your cell phone?

Because if it will do so without cell-coverage it must be receiving satellite transmissions.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I use Gaia GPS on my iPhone. You can use it "live" if you will be in cell coverage, or select an area and resolution and download that area map onto the phone, including whatever layers you need. Downloaded maps do not require cell coverage, as the phone works off of GPS signals. I use it in Eastern Montana in areas with poor cell coverage and although I return to camp each night I still carry a small cell phone charger mainly to keep me topped off because I take a lot of pictures. You may want to check it out and the comparisons with the other apps like Onyx and Huntstand, etc. Good luck.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. I explored things a little more and found this.

Turns out iPhones do have a GPS chip. WHY did I not assume that????? How big a dumbass can I be? (No answer required . . .) Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
quote:

Just to be clear: are you saying the cell phone will locate your position (as in coordinates and an on-screen marker) on the map you've downloaded to your cell phone?

Because if it will do so without cell-coverage it must be receiving satellite transmissions.

Yes!

Your iPhone has a GPS receiver!

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right! I missed the obvious! Appreciate the reply!

quote:
Originally posted by armbar:
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
quote:

Yes!

Your iPhone has a GPS receiver!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is some more info from ON X. It incredible how easy it is to use.

https://www.onxmaps.com/blog/u...mprovements-and-more

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the ideas and info! I went with Onyx. I downloaded on my IPhone. Also have maps coming.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote