New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 Win Sheep Bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This was asked a few years ago, but with all the new bullets recently introduced I thought I would ask again. I know that it doesn't take much to kill a sheep and suspect that any bullet would work as long it was properly placed. Just curious as to what you would choose...assuming you reload.

Good Hunting!

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JAB
I am a big fan/user of the 308. I have a certain Blaser K 95 Stutzen, in 308 that I would really like to use for sheep and goat.
If I was reloading I would probably use a 165 or 180 nosler partition. I feel that you can never go wrong with a NP.
I have quite a bit of factory 308, left over from various projects, that I would consider using for such a hunt. Federal 150 Ballistic Tip, Winchester 168 Ballistic Silver Tip, 165 Federal Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, 180 Federal High Energy Nosler Partition.... the list goes on. In short any 308 load with a 150 gr to a 180 grain bullet would work for sheep.

The main thing is to have your rifle properly sighted in with a bullet you trust, so when you aim at the sheep through your scope, you have no doubts of the outcome. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the .308 for over 40 years and remain a big fan of that round. I would recommend a 150-gr. bullet with good aerodynmics so that it would be a little flatter shooting than heavier loadings, and combine that with strong bullet construction to make up for the lighter weight (re: performance on game). Thus, you could have your cake and eat it, too. In this category there are lots to choose from: TSX, Interbond, Scirocco, Partition, and more. Try some and shoot whatever works best in your gun.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
150 TSX. Small hole in, small hole out, lots of destruction in between. Deadly accurate in a .308.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've had real good results with 150 grain Hornady Interbond bullets out of my 308. Loaded with 44.9 grains of Varget it goes about 2725 fps out my BLR and has taken Antelope twice in the past two seasons, one at 310 yards and the other at 275 both shots passing through leaving good blood trails and quick kills. If you want more speed I think the max load with Varget is close to 49 grains but this load is very accurate for me.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 150 gr TSX would get my vote using Varget powder. I switched to 140TSX in my 7mm08 this year and the varget gave me the best results. The TSX performed perfectly on a recent deer hunt.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote