Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Great Colorado Elk Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted
...and where are all those 279,000 elk that the DOW claims to have counted? Man, I busted my hump for 5 days in GMU 80 and only saw bulls while armed with a cow license...SIGH

Posts: 596 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was hunting at the Seeley Ranch just south of Craig off Route 13, about 2600 hundred acres and yes I had a guide. The weather was nice most of the time, never did get cold. The elk had not come down from the high country yet, not cold enough and not enough snow yet. I was also the only one not to get a mule deer since we are got the draw. I saw a once in a life time mule deer buck at 200 yards and the owner said it was the biggest he seen in 18 years, would have made Boone & Crockett, but I lost the light and couldn't see him in my scope. I will kick myself the rest of my life over that one. That scope is no longer on my rifle.

dbuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellows, any news prior to a trip is good news, at least you know what to expect. I also hunt South of Craig. I will be at the Holiday Inn in Craig at night from the 4th until. I would love to chat with anyone close by, the bar produces some of the biggest Elk known to man. Good shooting.

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I can tell you this...

I drove through Craig, and Meeker when I was on my way from Casper to Cortez, CO. I saw a TON of elk. I also heard on the radio that all the early snows have forced many of the elk down from the high country and that all the hunters were having great success.

I saw a minimum of 18 hunters at what appeared to be base camps loading up their bull elk.

You should be fine on your hunt. Good luck, and shoot straight!!