Find
Notify
Tools

Hog Hunting Photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted
Did some hog hunting a couple of days this week near Llano, Texas and killed some nice eating size hogs. Killed a boar on Wednesday and four hogs Friday afternoon. Shot them all while stalk hunting and killed three at under 20 feet; one at about 6 feet. Had a blast!

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun day--what was the weapon of choice?

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice pile o' porkers

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
.300 RUM with 200grn TBBC's.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inform a yank here, what is a good size eating hog?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 893 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done... tu2

Congrats!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
They are all good...

I actually have never had a bad one. Some folks say that big boars are not good to eat...I have never had a bad tasting wild pig, boar or sow...I have probably shot 3 boars in the 225-250 range and they were all very good table fare.

Some people may not think 225-250 is a big boar but those were weighed on a scale and any wild boar not being fed off of a feeder over 225 lbs is a pretty good size pig.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC Roxby:
.300 RUM with 200grn TBBC's.

300 RUM at 6feet! Did the muzzle blast BBQ em? BOOM shocker

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Well, they didn't go very far. Smiler I got back in some very thick buck brush with several sows and their young. Things got pretty crazy after the first shot.

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Thanks for the info on eating big hogs. I did some reading on this and it seems that the "big hog taste bad" story is just a myth as you said. I missed a really big boar while I was hunting and probably would have just abandoned him. I'll know better next time!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until you have killed hogs in various sizes and skinned them, you don't know. Small ones (50 lb and under) don't smell and barbecue very well. Big, say over 100-150 lb., boars stink. The meat is inedible for most people. Also, a really big boar has a gristle plate, under his front shoulders and running toward his tail, that is so tough it will take the edge off a good sharp knife. big boars stink so bad that you just leave them and only the black vultures (which have no sense of smell) will clean them up. The turkey vultures (which locate carrion by smell as well as sight) will sometimes, but not always, eat them. Only skunks and javelina smell as bad.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blanco county:
Until you have killed hogs in various sizes and skinned them, you don't know. Small ones (50 lb and under) don't smell and barbecue very well. Big, say over 100-150 lb., boars stink. The meat is inedible for most people. Also, a really big boar has a gristle plate, under his front shoulders and running toward his tail, that is so tough it will take the edge off a good sharp knife. big boars stink so bad that you just leave them and only the black vultures (which have no sense of smell) will clean them up. The turkey vultures (which locate carrion by smell as well as sight) will sometimes, but not always, eat them. Only skunks and javelina smell as bad.

It must depend on what they eat. I've taken hogs up to 250lbs and they were fine. The hogs here in California primarily eat grass ,barley and acorns and the meat is fine. They smell much less than domestic pigs. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote