THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    nosler partitions on eastern whitetail

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

nosler partitions on eastern whitetail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have been shooting 30-06 with 165 sierra boattails for years. having taken 68 head of game with it, it has killed instantly at all
ranges,running or standing with exit holes from all but the largest deer,here in n.c.thats 150 to 190 lbs. but on these larger deer i have never got a pass thru or dropped one in it,s tracks...so i tryed 165 grain partitions.Have not taken a large deer
yet, But not getting those spectacular kills
on the smaller deer as yet.still have to get
alot more to be able to really tell. But would like some input from longtime users of the nosler partition. Did i do the
right thing. p.s.yes we do shoot running deer due to 100 to 1000 acre clearcuts we hunt in once the pines are chest high ,you have to drive them across shooting lanes and logging roads. as they leave no trees to put stands in..thanks alot.. gfg

------------------

Posts: 66 | Location: garner n.c. usa | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because I'm a big believer in shooting one load and shooting it alot I use Nosler Partitions for whitetail in my 06. 180s over a max charge of R22. Is it more than is required for whitetail? You bet. Can I use the same load for elk...sure can. Will probably take it with me to Africa too...
Noslers cost a little more but if you can't afford the difference between a box of premium bullets vs a box of regular bullets you need to work on making more money not hunting and shooting...

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that partitions leave small exit holes and the deer seem to run a bit after being hit.I get much quicker kills with ballistic tips and have had no bullet failures even with our large canadian bucks.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed a decent sized whitetail with 140 gr. partitons in my 7-08 he was faceing me at an angle my best shot was at the point of his front shoulder and that is where the bullet struck.he dropped in his tracks lungs were shredded.I also like ballistic tips a lot but I wonder if they would have had the same effect after passing through the shoulder.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I first used Nosler solid base 165's, then moved to the partition later in my 30-06. I have had no failures with this round. While nothing is 100 percent, the partition is pretty close.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No need to use them almost any bullet well kill a deer I stay away from varmit bullets. Use them if you want. No real need to.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Since you are having such great results with the Sierras, why change? Generally, a Nosler Partiton doesn't give the spectacular kills you've seen with the Sierras, because it does not have the explosive characteristics of "softer" bullets. But, it does not fail due to too-rapid expansion, as some other designs often do. It is also apt to penetrate better on larger, heavier game such as bear and elk, making ammo loaded with the Nosler Partition bullet more versatile.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would (and do) use the Hornady Interlock bullet (165gr BTSP). I think they are tougher than the Sierras but softer than a Nosler Partion. They will shock well and still give you all the penitration you'll need on a whitetale.

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both bullets are performing as designed, and I agree with p dog shooter that most any bullet will do for whitetails.

The front portion of the Nosler is actually quite frangible, so it often gives you an effect similar to the Sierra or Ballistic Tip. The partition is only working with a limited amount of its mass available for expansion, however, so the quick and extensive trauma effect may not be as significant as with the more non-partition bullets. The partition does give you the insurance of greater penetration, but this is almost never needed on whitetails.

I hunt whitetails with both conventionals and partitions in various calibers, but like another poster, I use partitions on whitetails only because that's the load I shoot in that particular rifle.

Use the bullet that gives you the best accuracy for whitetails and worry about penetration when you veture out after elk or moose.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've killed numerous Whitetail and Mule Deer with 150gr Partitions in a 30-06 and 130gr Partitions in a .270. None have gone far after being hit. ALL bullets went all the way through which is why I like the Partition so much. I want two holes to let air in and blood out - always and from any angle. This is not to say that some other bullets won't do the same but I have absolute faith in the Partition. I would certainly recommend them unless your rifle doesn't shoot them well.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
Stick with the Sierra's. I hit a deer at 320 yards with my 30-06 165 BT. That kill was the quickest for me on a deer. The "landing gear" folded up right away and THUD.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If I were loading just for deer, I would drop to the 150gr NP. The increased vel. should give you greater expansion w/ a bit less penetration. The other option is to go w/ a Sierra or Hornady in the 165gr wt.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for all your input,all sound advice and will study a little more. the 12 large bodied deer dropped rather ouickly but have only had one pass thru on the big bucks thats the only reason i swiched. my thoughts have been load for the big ones it will surely take care or the youngsters. i guess its an ego thing but i want to be humane as possible,both loads shoot equelly well in all
my 06 rifles. but belive it or not the 260 grain partitions open up better in my 375 h&h rifles than the 06. going to also look into the hornadys.thanks again so much..gfg

Posts: 66 | Location: garner n.c. usa | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote